Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

381 - 400 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
wbassett, I know this might be a dumb quewstion but how do I find out if the external HD is formatted in FAT32? and if its not how can I reformat it? Thanks for being very patient with me as Im still learning all this software stuff. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #382
The easiest way is to plug it into your computer and then from Windows Explorer right click on the drive and select properties. You will see what file system the drive is formatted in.

If it is NTFS you will need a format utility like Swiss Army Knife. Depending on the make of the drive, the company may have a format utility.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The easiest way is to plug it into your computer and then from Windows Explorer right click on the drive and select properties. You will see what file system the drive is formatted in.

If it is NTFS you will need a format utility like Swiss Army Knife. Depending on the make of the drive, the company may have a format utility.
The HD that I am using for now is a WD Passport Essential 350G. I tried to do the right click thing and nothing came up saying what the drive was formatted to. Need help on that one. Also do I have to have the movie converted into ISO or no? I have converted a couple of them and put them on the HD and then pluged it up to the PS3 but still got nothing showed up.

I did find a better "How To" that gives step by step directions on how to use the latest DVD Shrink, thought I would share it.
http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/16/59/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Never mind I found out how to convet it to FAT32. I will try this tonight and see if it works and then post back. Thanks again for all you help wbassett

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
The HD that I am using for now is a WD Passport Essential 350G. I tried to do the right click thing and nothing came up saying what the drive was formatted to. Need help on that one. Also do I have to have the movie converted into ISO or no? I have converted a couple of them and put them on the HD and then pluged it up to the PS3 but still got nothing showed up.

I did find a better "How To" that gives step by step directions on how to use the latest DVD Shrink, thought I would share it.
http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/16/59/
I see you found how to reformat the drive. Any drive though will have a properties tab when you right click. When you look at the properties you'll see a section that is labeled 'File System. That's where you will see what file system it is formatted in.

As far as the tutorial you posted, I don't know if I would say it's better... it's not covering the same things. It is a nice tutorial for using Shrink but it doesn't show how to get the movie. And no you do not want ISO for the PS3, it can't read ISOs or play back an ISO with full DVD menus.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I see you found how to reformat the drive. Any drive though will have a properties tab when you right click. When you look at the properties you'll see a section that is labeled 'File System. That's where you will see what file system it is formatted in.

As far as the tutorial you posted, I don't know if I would say it's better... it's not covering the same things. It is a nice tutorial for using Shrink but it doesn't show how to get the movie. And no you do not want ISO for the PS3, it can't read ISOs or play back an ISO with full DVD menus.
Well I finaly got the PS3 to see my HD and I set up a folder called movies in all caps and put it in that folder but my PS3 is saying there is no folders to be found. What am I doing wrong I'm so frustrated? Oh and if I take a game and copy it to the HD it works so there must be something I'm missing. I'm so close but so far away still. Can you help? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Well I finaly got the PS3 to see my HD and I set up a folder called movies in all caps and put it in that folder but my PS3 is saying there is no folders to be found. What am I doing wrong I'm so frustrated? Oh and if I take a game and copy it to the HD it works so there must be something I'm missing. I'm so close but so far away still. Can you help? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
As per the tutorial I made-
Before you just start copying movies over, the PS3 recognizes certain directories only. Create a directory on the external drive named 'VIDEO' in all capital letters.
If you used MOVIES then the PS3 won't recognize that because it's looking for a folder named VIDEO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok thanks I will check when I get home and make sure that it is called to "VIDEO" and not movies. If it is called VIDEO is there any thoughts on why the PS3 is not seeing the folder? I also have a folder made called MUSIC and it dosent see that folder either but the PS3 def sees the HD that I have. Just confused maybe I just need to play around some more then.:dontknow:

·
Registered
66 Posts
wbassett,
Well I got it all to work last night and able to play a movie that I put on my HD. The prob I had was I had a folder called PS3 and inside that folder I had the VIDEO and MUSIC folder, once I got rid of the PS3 folder everything worked like a charm. Thanks again for all your help.

The only question I do have is if you make every file under 4G will you only loose the menu and credits and thats it or will it start to effect the movie. For instance I was recording Slap Shot and it is well over 4G so thats why I have that question

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
You won't lose the opening and closing credits, it is just compressing the movie is all. What that means is if any compression is needed there will be some loss in the overall quality. Most movies either don't need any or if they do not much to bring them to the 4GB size. There are ones out there though that do take up almost all of a dual layer DVD so they will be compressed quite a bit.

You are going to lose the DVD menus no matter what you do though because right now the PS3 can't read ISO files and support DVD menus.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Something to note:

You can create additional folders under the VIDEO (or MUSIC or any other folder). For example if you have different movie genres you could create a Kids, or Drama, or say you have all the Bond flicks you can make a folder named Bond or James Bond or 007... and then put all your movies for that genre/catagory in that folder. This way you won't have hundereds of movies all in the main \VIDEO folder. That can become a pain to navigate though after awhile.

Just keep in mind you can only have one level deep. Meaning \VIDEO\SuperHeroes and then all your super here flicks will work, but if you try to make another directory level for each franchise or studio it won't work... example this will not work \VIDEO\SuperHeros\Spiderman or whatever subdirectory you might want. You can only have one layer deep. It's a pain I know but still it's cool having everything at the click of a button!

My wife thought this was stupid and that I was nuts until I loaded her Dr Quinn series on a MYBook and showed her how to use it. Now she actually brags to her friends about how cool it is to be able to just click on any season and show and it's playing instantly!

To anyone else that also questions this or says why when you can just put the disc in? Well here is a perfect reason why- My wife was watching her new Dr Quinn series set so much that some of the discs were starting act up and weren't playing right. I cleaned them all and some I even had to run through a buffer to get working. Basically if I didn't do this soon some of her discs wouldn't be playable anymore. I really wished I would have done this sooner though too because the set is a special edition collectors boxed set but now it's a bit used looking. If I would have done this right off the bat the boxed set would look mint right now. Oh well...

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
To anyone else that also questions this or says why when you can just put the disc in? Well here is a perfect reason why- My wife was watching her new Dr Quinn series set so much that some of the discs were starting act up and weren't playing right. I cleaned them all and some I even had to run through a buffer to get working. Basically if I didn't do this soon some of her discs wouldn't be playable anymore. I really wished I would have done this sooner though too because the set is a special edition collectors boxed set but now it's a bit used looking. If I would have done this right off the bat the boxed set would look mint right now. Oh well...
Most excellent Bill! HTS is a large place and I certainly haven't read every thread let alone every post, so maybe this has been addressed before, but I get the impression that many people think that if they buy a DVD it will be good forever and that simply isn't the way it works. I have had commercial DVD's go bad due to age alone (I had played the disc once and then put it back in it's cover and stored it on the shelf in my bedroom). The point is that there ARE legitimate reasons for backing up a DVD. If I hadn't I would have to repurchase those DVD's and some of them may be out of production (like your Dr. Quinn set).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have OS Vista and when I reformated my HDD it used exFAT. Is that compatible with PS3? I would love to be able to use it as my media server. One more thing I have the Netgear WDR3700 wireless router with the usb on the back for HDD to file share. Is it possible to watch the movies that way without it hooked up to the PS3?
Thanksfor the input.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok I just found a program that will format an external hard drive to FAT32. This program does the whole HDD and not just 30GB. The program name is Easeus Partition Master 6.1.1 Home Edition.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Yeah there are many out there that will.

Also most hard drive manufacturers have a utility that can be downloaded as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I own a dvd set (Band of Brothers) that was bought in Germany. I would like to know if there is a program out there that will rip it or reformat it to play in english. The dvd set will only play in a dvd player that is compatible with other countries format. I do not want to have to go out and purchase another dvd set of the same movie.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
There are some PAL converters out there. I'd have to do a search myself though too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Bill,

Is the PS3 (older fat version) compatible with say a mac-mini or hard disc connected via wireless to an apple airport extreme? My wife wants an apple tv but from what I have read it only outputs 720p so I'm not sold and why buy a piece of gear which does essentially the same thing as the PS3?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Bill,

Is the PS3 (older fat version) compatible with say a mac-mini or hard disc connected via wireless to an apple airport extreme? My wife wants an apple tv but from what I have read it only outputs 720p so I'm not sold and why buy a piece of gear which does essentially the same thing as the PS3?

Thanks,

Dave
Hey Dave,

I am running this server on a iMac running 10.6.8

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/media_servers/pms_mac.cfm

As long as I have the drive from my airport extreme mounted on the iMac and shared through the server it works great. Right now my movies are stored on the iMac hard drive as H.264 and my large 500Gig or so file is on my airport extreme usb port. I also have a Apple TV2. It's a great little box although I did have to convert all my movies from .avi to H.264 format but Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php dose it quite well and there is a setting for the Apple TV. The PS3 sees this format very well so I've been ditching my .avi files and keep the H.264. I have to keep the PS3 server and iTunes Home Sharing running to be able to use both devices but it has been surprisingly glitch free. It's been up for 6 months now and running over the wireless network just fine. Both of these programs are free and run in OS X. Hopes this helps.:T

381 - 400 of 417 Posts