Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

401 - 417 of 417 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Ok so after going through everything step by step from the beginning of the thread I still dont know how to change the vob files. Do I need to still?

I was trying to do my first upload or whatever you want to call it. I was trying Fellowship of the Ring. So there are 2 titles exactly the same. In the preview I couldn't tell the difference. So I just selected the first one I think.

I did DVDShrink the first time and saw that I forgot to deselect 1gb sections. Oh well so I did it again. Got the whole movie onto one .vob file. I was going to just add the movie to my external 1TB HD but when connected to my PS3 there was no where to access the HD. So maybe not Fat32 or something.

I have downloaded shows and music videos to my computer and then just copy the file I want to watch to my PS3 HD then view. Then delete when I am done. Normally I can see all videos on my network from the PS3 but I cant see these vob files.

I am going to try and make a video file on the 1TB hard drive and see if when connected to the PS3 it can find the movies.

I really just want to add a few movies for now but figured this would be a quick easy thing to do. So anyone can you please help?

·
Registered
66 Posts
chrapladm said:
Ok so after going through everything step by step from the beginning of the thread I still dont know how to change the vob files. Do I need to still?

I was trying to do my first upload or whatever you want to call it. I was trying Fellowship of the Ring. So there are 2 titles exactly the same. In the preview I couldn't tell the difference. So I just selected the first one I think.

I did DVDShrink the first time and saw that I forgot to deselect 1gb sections. Oh well so I did it again. Got the whole movie onto one .vob file. I was going to just add the movie to my external 1TB HD but when connected to my PS3 there was no where to access the HD. So maybe not Fat32 or something.

I have downloaded shows and music videos to my computer and then just copy the file I want to watch to my PS3 HD then view. Then delete when I am done. Normally I can see all videos on my network from the PS3 but I cant see these vob files.

I am going to try and make a video file on the 1TB hard drive and see if when connected to the PS3 it can find the movies.

I really just want to add a few movies for now but figured this would be a quick easy thing to do. So anyone can you please help?
You will have to set up your external hard drive to FAT32 then put movies on it the way you have them. Then the PS3 will recognize them.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Sorry for the NOOB question but where do I find out if the HD is Fat32?

I looked at properties and it said NTFS

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I will do that next to the hard driver but what about changing vob files for PS3?

·
Registered
66 Posts
chrapladm said:
I will do that next to the hard driver but what about changing vob files for PS3?
Keep the VOB files. All u need to do is get Swiss knife off the web reformat ur external hard drive to FAT32 the load the VOB files on the external hard drive then plug the external hard drive into the PS3 then the PS3 will see all Ur movies.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Might have to wait to get a new external hard drive. Just saw there is a bunch of my wifes files on there. Reformatting means I will be in trouble.

Can I make a partition with Swiss Knife and make the partition Fat32?

·
Registered
66 Posts
chrapladm said:
Keep the VOB files. All u need to do is get Swiss knife off the web reformat ur external hard drive to FAT32 the load the VOB files on the external hard drive then plug the external hard drive into the PS3 then the PS3 will see all Ur movies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
chrapladm said:
Might have to wait to get a new external hard drive. Just saw there is a bunch of my wifes files on there. Reformatting means I will be in trouble.

Can I make a partition with Swiss Knife and make the partition Fat32?
I would just get ur own HD and then not worry about loosing some of ur wife's stuff.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I will have to get one later on. Are vob files always small 720 width resolution?

·
Registered
66 Posts
chrapladm said:
I will have to get one later on. Are vob files always small 720 width resolution?
I'm not sure. I run my external HD through my Boxee Box so that I don't have to reformat a HD and mine plays just fine and up scales too. I believe when I had it on my PS3 it was full res

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Does the PS3 only like vob files?

I am sure it can play a bunch of different files but my HDD ext is saying "NO titles."

I have a maybe 20 movies on the HDD and started the folder labeled with VIDEOS. Then there are some movies in that folder and there are a few sub-folders. One of the sub-folders is labeled Horror and there are about 10 movies in there. That being said I cant see any titles at all or any folders what so ever. SO what did I do wrong?

I formatted the HDD so it is Fat32. The PS3 now atleast says USB Device (Ext HDD 1021) but when I go to access it in music pictures or videos is says there is nothing.:scratch:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I think the problem ur having is that u can not make sub folders. Just make one folder called video's and put all the movies there no sub folders.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I thought that maybe the case but the videos that are VIDEO folder are not able to be accessed either.

SO I have a VIDEO folder. There are some videos with in this folder and also three subfolders. I figured the PS3 would atleast see one of the videos but it just stated NO TITLES.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's a nice guide but the PS3 has never been a great streaming media player for me. Just too many problems and not enough compatibility. It is getting better but if it were to be really good, you'd see more support from Sony. I think part of Sony would like too, but then they have the content side of the house that likely doesn't want to make this any easier.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I recently made some changes to my network and now I don't see the PLEX icon on my ps3. What I had before was my usb with all my media connected to my pc. Then since I had another computer, I moved the usb to my Netgear router. Since then Plex doesn't seem to be working on my ps3. Any suggestions.

Thanks

401 - 417 of 417 Posts