Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 417 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Hey Bill -

As I have time, I'm playing with different options for encoding -
I got the divx trial to work with DVD vob files, unfortunately the converter is really, really basic - so I don't know how useable it will be long term, but I plan to do some comparisons of picture quality between the Divx pro codec, and what is included with DVD fab.
I've also tried some alterante settings in fab (Mostly higer bitrates so far) - from what I've seen, there is more quality available over the defaults.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sounds good.

Xvid works, but isn't DVD quality and I see a very minor audio sync problem. It's not bad and most may not even notice it, but it is there.

I'd say it's okay if someone really needs to save space, but so far I haven't seen anything that's DVD quality aside from just using the DVD vob itself.

I think this is great that we're getting a full evaluation of the various compressions and codecs and how they preform. The more we can test the better people can decide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well,you just have to tweak the settings of the DivX converter,and you will get DVD quality,I know I have,and I have a HDTv.Also,Divx have released the new version that now have support for 720p and 1080p in the converter,I did a test with TRANSFORMERS MOVIE,a clip of 2min,and the 1080p conversion convert the movie in the exact quality of the dvd,but when I was to convert the entire movie,the size was more of 2 gig,and the PS3 dosnt support divx movies that have more of 2G,that was bad for me.Still,Divx converter is ,for me, the best video converter I tested

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I have been Ripping away my Collection of DVD's.... Noticed a few Problems.

1) Some Movies don't sync with the audio, I'm using the DVDShrink and just Renaming the VOB file, and placing that on my extrenal Hard drive.

2) getting a flash from 5.1 to 2 audio channel sound, tho I think thats my fault =p, will have to redo thoose movies

What program do you sudjest to play beack the Video .Vob files on your computer, so that I don't have to keep running up and down the stairs and plug in the HD to the Playstation to make sure everything is working correctly?

EQDruid

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I haven't run into this problem. I did at first have a problem not getting any audio but after going into the settings I was able to get audio working.

I always just select the 5.1 audio and no commentary or secondary audio tracks.

I check the files on my computer using Power DVD and skim through the movie to make sure it works and is in sync.

Other than that, how's the rest of it going and for the movies that work how is the PQ to you?

Basementjack is doing a lot of testing with DivX and other codecs and checking various settings and checking picture quality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Loving it so far..

I am reformatting the exteranal HD with the slow process so that it might fix any issues ( I hope) and redoing the the movies I converted with more then 1 audio track.

Thank god for my PC.. ( 4.2 GTHZ with 8 Gig Ram Quad Core ) Movies take about 10 mins to rip each keeping each movie under 4 gig.

did you partion your exteranl HD? or left it in tact? Thinking I might of slowed it down tring to add multi movies at the same time instead of 1 at a time.

EQDruid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I am about to give up...

Some movies play all right, and some just keep ******** out on me.

On the PC, their is sound, then no sound on the PS3,

Sound but not in synch with the Video, and then there is a Huge delay with even the PS3 even opening the file.

With over 3500 DVD's I can't be having to recheck every DVD untill I show it off and look like a fool. =/

Open to some Idea's. Been following everything.

EQDruid

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
We'll figure this out, and it is important we do.

Okay let's start with some basics and let me see if I can duplicate it... I have around 1500 SDVDs now, nowhere near what you have, but maybe we have some of the same titles you're having trouble with.

First what model PS3 do you have and what firmware level?

I have a 60GB first gen PS3 with FW 2.01 and an external USB 320GB Western Digital My Book. So far I have only had a problem with one bonus feature Bond disc, one that Best Buy was giving away in one of their promo's...

Next, you mentioned reformatting one of your drives I believe? How did you reformat it? The PS3 only reads FAT32 and Windows does some strange things when formating FAT32, especially on these drives. Is the problem on just one drive or across multiple drives?

Don't give up. From what I have seen and experienced so far is any time you convert from the original file format there is a performance hit of some kind... it's inevitable, you're making a change and as good and powerful as our PC's can be, we don't have studio gear so there will be a hit. Sometimes it's so minor nobody will notice, sometimes it's major.

Compression... always some PQ hit with compression, and add compression and conversion and it tends to compound things sometimes. That's one reason why I like to stick with the original file format. Also, with 2.1 (maybe 2.01 as well) you can use the .vob extension and won't even have to rename it to .mpeg. Might want to give that a try too.

Last thing, what version level of Shrink do you have? I have 3.2.0.15

If you continue to have problems with Shrink, try DVDFab. It can also convert to XVid and even has a 'PS3' mode. Worth a try and we will get you rolling don't worry.

Send me a list of some of the titles you're having trouble with and I'll see if I have the same problem. It could be the title too, but like I said, we'll figure this out don't worry or give up.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Honestly, I never played around with .mkv so I can't answer that but maybe someone else can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have shrink 3.2 with the 60 gig model ps3, latest firmware. I bought 4 Seagate freeagent 500 gig drives. Formatted Using Swissknife to fat32.

Might just use DVD fab and see if that is the problem. Having problems with the Movies The Prestige and Super Troopers and a few others but thats a start.

Thanks for looking into this... and sorry for sounding alittle cranky, wife and I both have the flu atm.

EQDruid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tring DVDfab Plat now to convert using the PS3 settings. Takes 4 times as long, but if thats the case, I guess this is going to take alot longer then I was hoping. But such is the ways. Hope this turns out ok for the time invested.

EQDruid

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have anyone notice the new nice visual player when you play music on PS3,you have to be on he latest firmware,play any mp3,and press scuare 2 times,you get an VERY,VERY NICE EARTH VIEW visual player.This is great for anyone that have a HDTV,I notice this today.
Sorry if you all know this,but I didn't,all this time I was testing diferent video files,specialy DivX,speaking of that,I will report soon my results on video files and quality.
And sorry for the change of avatar,but aparently,this site don't want that avatar cus is an ALIENWARE WALLPAPER,yea I don't get it,but I dont make the rules of this site,anyway,be sure to chek the music visual player with a nice relaxing music you have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Tho I personally Like to play Blast factor with Chemical brothers Playing in the background....

Found a trick with getting the PS3 to play the Video's in sync, Just let the Exteral hard drive warm up alittle bit... Seems it takes a few minutes for the HD to sync with the PS3..

Don't know if its the PS3's fault or the HD. Just noticed with 50 movies on thier so far that it takes a few minutes for all the movies to display. So if i start a movies and it sits there, i give it a few minutes then I try and restart it, works perfectly....

EQdruid

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That's good news EQdruid. Sorry about not getting back to you, I got tied up with some other projects too.

The Prestige worked fine for me, so I was going to say I wasn't sure what the problem might be.

Question, what brand of external drive are you using?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Interesting.

I can say that the My Book powers up and down with the PS3 and by the time the PS3 is ready the drive is ready. However... I only have the drive half filled. I might run into the same problem when it gets closer to being full.

I'll keep an eye out for that.

B

·
0 Posts
WOW, just read most all of this and I have to say it's very interesting. I just got a 40 gig PS3 and want to use it to run my photos, videos and music. This is very good info and good news.

Are most of you just hooking a drive to the PS3 then run all your music, music from there? Or, are you using a seperate PC as a media server and running off the PC? Seems like the hard drive to PS3 is the best bet.

Looking forward to trying this out. All videos need to go in a VIDEO folder right? What about music? Pictures? Not sure I read that anywhere.

JUst got a High Def video camera as well (canon HV20) Now I have to figure how to transfer those on the PS3 or play thru the PS3. This might be my answer to my new Ent. system. AWESOME

Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to this forum,browndog.
To answer your question about where to put your media files on your external drive,put them the same way you put them on a memorystick,create a VIDEO,PHOTO,MUSIC folders and the PS3 will play them,but you can also put the files anyware on the drive,but you have to select DISPLAY ALL on PS3 (EXAMPLE-PUT MP3 ON VIDEO FOLDER,SELECT DISPLAY ALL ON PS3 WILE ON MUSIC SECTION AND SELECT THE VIDEO FOLDER,ANY MP3 ON THAT FOLDER WILL BE DISPLAYED ON THE PS3)

61 - 80 of 417 Posts