Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 417 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Ok Guys, I just finished skimming this thread from start to finish.

A few things I can add:

Alternate DVD ripping program -

It's a program called DVDFAB - you can find it at http://www.dvdfab.com

in short, DVDFab is a decent 1 click solution for going from DVD's to other formats.
They seem to update the product regularly.

Some things DVDfab can do...
- Copy a DVD to your hard drive as an ISO or a folder of files
- Copy a DVD to a blank DVD
- Copy a DVD to 2 blank DVD's
- Copy a DVD to formats like divx, mpeg4, h264 etc.

Also - for those with windows media center machines - microsoft has a dvd library feature thats disabled by default - a simple registry change enables it.

the MCE dvd library works with files copied to the HD from dvd shrink or dvd fab - the nice thing here is you have the original dvd - full quality - all sound options - full menus etc...

- Jack
I couldnt get Vista Media Center to work no matter what I used. Tried DVDFab and then My Movies. The people in the My Movies forum told me to use AnyDVD which didnt work either.

J

·
0 Posts
I installed a couple of dvd movies and also 2 TV seasons of Friends. It really works well especially with the TV episodes. It is nice being able to go onto the PS3 server and select a disc and get it to play immediately. I think I may use this with mainly TV series since it is so convenient.

There is only one problem. It does not scan or FF etc very well and sometimes freezes when you do it.
So the problem with the TV shows is that there are usually quite a few episodes on one disc which makes it hard to get back to where you left off unless you just watch the whole disc again.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Also does anyone know how to setup subfolders for TV series? As an example I would like to be able to have the folder Friends season 8 and then the 4 discs as subfolders. I tried this but they wouldnt show up on the PS3.
So now I have to have separate folders for everything. Friends Season 8 Disc1 and then Friends Season 8 Disc 2 etc.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I installed a couple of dvd movies and also 2 TV seasons of Friends. It really works well especially with the TV episodes. It is nice being able to go onto the PS3 server and select a disc and get it to play immediately. I think I may use this with mainly TV series since it is so convenient.

There is only one problem. It does not scan or FF etc very well and sometimes freezes when you do it.
So the problem with the TV shows is that there are usually quite a few episodes on one disc which makes it hard to get back to where you left off unless you just watch the whole disc again.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Also does anyone know how to setup subfolders for TV series? As an example I would like to be able to have the folder Friends season 8 and then the 4 discs as subfolders. I tried this but they wouldnt show up on the PS3.
So now I have to have separate folders for everything. Friends Season 8 Disc1 and then Friends Season 8 Disc 2 etc.
As far as I know subfolders don't work. I wish they did.

What I do for TV shows is do each individual episode. Most only come out to a gig or gig and a half at the largestest. I haven't had any problems with fast forward, but yeah, there is no chapter search.

J

·
0 Posts
As far as I know subfolders don't work. I wish they did.

What I do for TV shows is do each individual episode. Most only come out to a gig or gig and a half at the largestest. I haven't had any problems with fast forward, but yeah, there is no chapter search.
Well hopefully the PS3 doesnt have any limits on the amount of files it can display. I have many TV series that I want to install. I dont think I have enough patience to do each episode so will stick with doing each individual disc.

Other than that it works great..........thanks again!!

K

·
0 Posts
Man, this works really well, i cant believe it, i tried lots of different programs for a week and then i found this, really nice, i recommend it 10 out of 10, the only problem i am having is that on some movies it has 2 files in the main movie section, i know you said to pick the longer one of the 2 but the 2 files are needed to finish the movie ,when i compress it compresses the 2 files seperate and when the first is done i still have to open up the other manually, any ideas how to fix this to make it all one movie. and hey once again awesome job!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Man, this works really well, i cant believe it, i tried lots of different programs for a week and then i found this, really nice, i recommend it 10 out of 10, the only problem i am having is that on some movies it has 2 files in the main movie section, i know you said to pick the longer one of the 2 but the 2 files are needed to finish the movie ,when i compress it compresses the 2 files seperate and when the first is done i still have to open up the other manually, any ideas how to fix this to make it all one movie. and hey once again awesome job!
I'm working with someone right now on a similar problem with the Friends DVDs, mainly the first season.

The only thing I have run into has been when a movie has alternate angles, or some have both wide screen and full screen on the same disc (always bad for video quality when they do that... takes up too much space).

Any particular titles you are having this problem with? So far I haven't had this problem myself.

The only problem so far that my son ran into with his 40GB PS3 was with Band of Brothers. What's weird is they play fine on my 60GB PS3 when I plug his drive into my system . Originally I thought it might have been some sort of copy protection, but it doesn't seem to be. I fully understand studio's concerns in this area and again want to stress this is only for movies that you actually own, but even at that studios don't like this too much and always throw something out there to mess things up.

My son is going for maximum space savings while I go for best video quality. So he compresses everything while I don't. Does it make a difference and what about DivX? We just tested them both out and on a smaller screen they look acceptable, but on my 55" SXRD you start to see a lot of compression artifacts and to me it looks more like VHS than DVD. So I personally don't compress unless I absolutely have to in order to get it to the 4GB size limitation.

I'll be honest in saying I haven't tried DivX at higher resolution settings because time is also a factor to me. I can do an entire season in the time it takes to do one disc with DivX, and I wasn't impressed with the end results.

Everyone will have different needs, so I am not trashing DivX, just saying I prefer this method myself.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
A note about My Books.

For Christmas I got my wife a kitten as one of her presents. She loves the little guy and he is a cute little devil, but devil is the key word there and he certainly is living up to his name of Alvin (from Alvin and the Chipmunks since he's always in trouble about something!)

Today he jumped on my desk (I was across the room at the time) and I am doing some PS3 archiving so I have both the 320GB and 500GB My Book drives sitting on my desk, and he knocked them both off. They dropped around 3 feet to hardwood floors and I was flipping out to say the least! Surprisingly, no dents, dings, scratches, and most important, both drives still work perfectly fine.

I definitely dodged a bullet on that one, but these are pretty tough drives as I just found out the hard way. Right now the prices seem better too- I just picked up the 500GB at Best Buy last week for $120.

I really do like the My Books, but I will probably be switching to these drive enclosures.

YouTube - Ultra Stackable External Hard Drive Enclosure

Mainly because this will give me one power source and one USB connection to the PS3 as well as having nice uniform looking drives sitting there. My Book changed their case style and I can't get the same design anymore at a local store. eBay still has plenty of them with the circle on the front though, but this is a much cleaner layout in my opinion.

J

·
0 Posts
A note about My Books.

For Christmas I got my wife a kitten as one of her presents. She loves the little guy and he is a cute little devil, but devil is the key word there and he certainly is living up to his name of Alvin (from Alvin and the Chipmunks since he's always in trouble about something!)

Today he jumped on my desk (I was across the room at the time) and I am doing some PS3 archiving so I have both the 320GB and 500GB My Book drives sitting on my desk, and he knocked them both off. They dropped around 3 feet to hardwood floors and I was flipping out to say the least! Surprisingly, no dents, dings, scratches, and most important, both drives still work perfectly fine.

I definitely dodged a bullet on that one, but these are pretty tough drives as I just found out the hard way. Right now the prices seem better too- I just picked up the 500GB at Best Buy last week for $120.

I really do like the My Books, but I will probably be switching to these drive enclosures.

YouTube - Ultra Stackable External Hard Drive Enclosure

Mainly because this will give me one power source and one USB connection to the PS3 as well as having nice uniform looking drives sitting there. My Book changed their case style and I can't get the same design anymore at a local store. eBay still has plenty of them with the circle on the front though, but this is a much cleaner layout in my opinion.
Yes I have the 1TB My Book and have been very happy with it so far. Just as an experiment I put all of the Friends Season on it and also a couple of Tomb Raider movies. So far plenty of space. Also the PS3 server seems fine with all of the titles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well,if you gona transfer your movies in .vob files (original as DVD)you can make them in DTS,the PS3 will play them,but if you plan to convert the movies to other formats (like MP4 or DivX) you have to rip them in DD5.1 or 2.0,just be sure to only select only 1 audio format when you rip your movies

A

·
0 Posts
Well,if you gona transfer your movies in .vob files (original as DVD)you can make them in DTS,the PS3 will play them,but if you plan to convert the movies to other formats (like MP4 or DivX) you have to rip them in DD5.1 or 2.0,just be sure to only select only 1 audio format when you rip your movies
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump:

M

·
0 Posts
As a owner of both a PS3 and a 360 id have to say (and not just being a Sony fan boy) but the PS3 is more reliable. Now I'm not rich so I had to get the 40 gig, now it's not bad but if you want it for a media server....you don't want firmware 2.10. This is the firmware I had and video playback was very messed up. With one second flashes of green then sometimes flashes of scenes of different parts of the video at random. I took my hard drive and used it with my fathers 60 gig PS3 and everything worked fine, so I thought my 40 gig had to be broken. So I called up Sony and it's covered by them, but before I sent it out I upgraded the firmware to 2.2 and everything works now. So if you have problems using the 40 gig as a media server then try updating your firmware to the newest one...but don't update the firmware blindly, always read up about the firmware

S

·
0 Posts
I started trying this out over the weekend. I am just storing them on one of my extra drives on my server. Other than the odd movie getting wierd audio things, not everytime I play them, and sometimes not at all the only problem I have is the video gets cropped either on the tops or sides or both. I figure this is due to the resolution or what ever its called from the native dvd to the 1080p on the PS3. Anything I can do?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I started trying this out over the weekend. I am just storing them on one of my extra drives on my server. Other than the odd movie getting wierd audio things, not everytime I play them, and sometimes not at all the only problem I have is the video gets cropped either on the tops or sides or both. I figure this is due to the resolution or what ever its called from the native dvd to the 1080p on the PS3. Anything I can do?
Interesting. One difference I observe is you are storing on a server and not the internal or an external drive on the PS3. Are you streaming to the PS3 or does the server come up as a storage device?

What model PS3 do you have, what is the firmware level, and how are you archiving your movies?

They should look just like the DVD when the DVD is inserted into the PS3. Check and see if it does the same thing with the DVD, if so then it is either a display setting on the PS3 or the TV.

Also make sure when you archive with shrink, you only select one audio track for playback.

S

·
0 Posts
Interesting. One difference I observe is you are storing on a server and not the internal or an external drive on the PS3. Are you streaming to the PS3 or does the server come up as a storage device?

What model PS3 do you have, what is the firmware level, and how are you archiving your movies?

They should look just like the DVD when the DVD is inserted into the PS3. Check and see if it does the same thing with the DVD, if so then it is either a display setting on the PS3 or the TV.

Also make sure when you archive with shrink, you only select one audio track for playback.
PS3 40 gig / 2.3 (I think). I am using the method outlined in the beginning of this thread, with DVD Shrink. Windows media sharing. DVD's play normal. Standard DVD 480p, blueray 1080p. I have the storage space on my server so I didn't want to spend the extra money to get the external USB drive. Is there another way to set up the connection between the server and the PS3? I tried TVersity and it does the same thing as well.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Makes sense about wanting to use the storage space on the server.

I am thinking it is how Windows is handling the media sharing. Shrink will duplicate the DVD exactly, so what you see is how the DVD looks. The only things that can come into play are compression (then the video quality will be lower) or if a secondary video was inadvertantly used.

I'll have to look into this some more and see if I can duplicate it and then find out how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I have entered the 60 Gb PS3 world...I didn't know I was missing that much!

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Knowing that I have the PS3 60 Gb region B, it came with firmware 1.8 and I upgraded to 2.3. Only one question:

- VOB FIles bigger than 2 Gb will play correctly but will freeze if 30x or more fast forward is performed. Any idea? Will this change if converted to MPEG 2?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes,if you convert the movie to MPG4 or DivX,it will solve the problem,but you will lose 5.1 sound when converted,only 2.0 will be played,and depending in conversion,you will lose video quality.
If you dont mind loseing 5.1 or DTS in the VOB files,if for you is OK the play the movie in 2.0 sound,I recomend converting the movie to DivX (AVI) format

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
No, I don't want that...I am playing it in my HT!! Just wondering if there is any means to keep 4 Gb size and solve the freezing issue when fast forwarding.

121 - 140 of 417 Posts