Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 417 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to the forums but not quite new to the home theater gig (in fact I am kinda "seasoned'). Glad to be on board...... so glad in fact I am going to offer you all a challenge:

I have been running my PS3 as a media server for my computer for a while. I just converted my 500GB external hard drive to be compatible with the PS3, so I can play videos from the external HDD through the PS3 when I am away from home.

Now here is the challege:

Can anyone access their external hard drive through the media server while the external HDD is still connected to the PC? So far I have been only able to come up with two internal HDDs; the C drive and the G drive (I have currently four internal hard drives) through the PS3 media server. I have tried nearly everything, including setting the external drive for sharing, but the PS3 can't properly locate it.

Any takers??? :bigsmile: :boxer:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Welcome Rodney,

Have you tried Windows Media Player 11? It plays everything but DVD movies.

D

·
0 Posts
Image size

I just tried this weekend to rip and stream a couple of DVD to a new 40 Gb PS3 with 2.35 firmware. First thing I noticed was that playing the ripped VOB file on the PS3, it did not fill the whole screen horizontally (as it dis when the disk was played on the PS3), as was posted by others above. Both TRUELIES and INDEPENDENCE day did this. Both are ~ 2.35 aspect ratio so there will be bars top and bottom but should fill the screen horizontally. I don't think the image is "cropped" but I'll have to do a close A B comparison. I can expand the image with WIDE on the TV (Sammy HTS-5687); my point is the ripped file and the original are not behavig identically. More digging

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Welcome to the Shack dloose!

There must be something wrong. I obtained exactly the same aspect ratio. Try with other movies. What are u using? DVDshrink?

C

·
0 Posts
First off i want to say what a great thread this, i've learned so much from reading these first 6 pages. Great job guys! I think the dvd shrink method is great and works really fast but i have run into a couple of snags just like a few other users out there. I have a small collection(compared a few other users on this forum!) of about 300 dvd which i would like to archive to an external hd and play off the ps3. Sony has done a great job of turning the ps3 into a ht media server power house and when paired with the psp, i can have access to all that media from any wifi connection.

My first attempt was with The Matrix (trilogy box set edition) and it failed to play properly on the ps3. It shows two files of the same length and size in dvd shrink If i select and output one file it shows the incorrect time length in the ps3(about 1 hr and 15 min) and has trouble fast forwarding. I havent sat down and watch the whole file but it seem like it contains the beginning and the end of the movie. it's really weird.

If i try to output both files, i get two .vob's and that's not the result that i'm going for as i dont want to stop in the middle and select the next .vob.

Same thing happened with the Incredibles except that one has 3 files of the same size and length in dvd shrink.

My third attempt was with Dumb and Dumber(original dvd release) This one worked flawlessly. Didnt need any more compression as the original was under 4 gb and i didnt even change the .vob to mpeg.

So i'm getting the feeling that newer dvds that have the movies spread over two layers are going to be harder to transfer over, i still cant figure out how to do it. Both the matrix and the incredibles were well over 6 gigs on a dual layer dvd while dumb and dumber was only about 3.5 gigs on a single layer(The dvd is actually dual layer but one of the older ones that you have to flip over and it contains the 4:3 version).

Any help with this would be much appreciated. If anyone has had success with any of these two titles please let me know so i can maybe trouble shoot from my end. here is my pc hardware spec:

Custom pc
Mobo- asus p5ld2
Pentium D 3.00
2 gb ram
dual booting Vista/Leopard OSX

D

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the Shack dloose!

There must be something wrong. I obtained exactly the same aspect ratio. Try with other movies. What are u using? DVDshrink?
I'm using DVDShrink 2.3.x (2.31 I think). The PS3 reports the resolution of the ripped file from Ind. Day as 720x480, which would be correct for a standard DVD. I think what's happening is that the PS3 does not recognize the streamed file (or that file on the ext HD) as a DVD and does not apply upscaling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I seem to be having bad luck. Do I need to keep the .ifo and .bup files of my dvd rips? I've been using DVD Shrink to rip to a single 3.98 GB vob file to a FAT32 formated drive. When I try playing on the PS3, it doesn't seem to recognize the file as a DVD because it doesn't deinterlace or upscale the video. The video is really jumpy also. Anyone run into this problem?

Thanks for this great thread by the way :)

C

·
0 Posts
where is everyone on this thread?? There's been a couple of posts over the last week with no help.

C

·
0 Posts
@ stickboy

i didnt keep the other files, just the .vob. So far I've only gotten dumb and dumber to work. The Matrix and the Incredibles both failed. I hope to try some more movies this weekend. What kind of drive are you using? do you have any other media on it?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
First my apologies... work has been extremely hectic the past couple of months...

Second, Welcome to the Shack guys! :)

First off i want to say what a great thread this, i've learned so much from reading these first 6 pages. Great job guys! I think the dvd shrink method is great and works really fast but i have run into a couple of snags just like a few other users out there. I have a small collection(compared a few other users on this forum!) of about 300 dvd which i would like to archive to an external hd and play off the ps3. Sony has done a great job of turning the ps3 into a ht media server power house and when paired with the psp, i can have access to all that media from any wifi connection.

My first attempt was with The Matrix (trilogy box set edition) and it failed to play properly on the ps3. It shows two files of the same length and size in dvd shrink If i select and output one file it shows the incorrect time length in the ps3(about 1 hr and 15 min) and has trouble fast forwarding. I havent sat down and watch the whole file but it seem like it contains the beginning and the end of the movie. it's really weird.

If i try to output both files, i get two .vob's and that's not the result that i'm going for as i dont want to stop in the middle and select the next .vob.

Same thing happened with the Incredibles except that one has 3 files of the same size and length in dvd shrink.

My third attempt was with Dumb and Dumber(original dvd release) This one worked flawlessly. Didnt need any more compression as the original was under 4 gb and i didnt even change the .vob to mpeg.

So i'm getting the feeling that newer dvds that have the movies spread over two layers are going to be harder to transfer over, i still cant figure out how to do it. Both the matrix and the incredibles were well over 6 gigs on a dual layer dvd while dumb and dumber was only about 3.5 gigs on a single layer(The dvd is actually dual layer but one of the older ones that you have to flip over and it contains the 4:3 version).

Any help with this would be much appreciated. If anyone has had success with any of these two titles please let me know so i can maybe trouble shoot from my end. here is my pc hardware spec:

Custom pc
Mobo- asus p5ld2
Pentium D 3.00
2 gb ram
dual booting Vista/Leopard OSX
Some titles have some heavy copyright protection on them so I suspect that could be the issue. I own The Matrix and The Incredibles, so if I have a chance I'll see if I get the same problem. If so then it's most likely a protection scheme.

I haven't had any problems with dual layer discs, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I seem to be having bad luck. Do I need to keep the .ifo and .bup files of my dvd rips? I've been using DVD Shrink to rip to a single 3.98 GB vob file to a FAT32 formated drive. When I try playing on the PS3, it doesn't seem to recognize the file as a DVD because it doesn't deinterlace or upscale the video. The video is really jumpy also. Anyone run into this problem?

Thanks for this great thread by the way :)
No you only need the main movie .vob file that you get when you use reauthor. You can rename the file extention to .mpeg or if you have the most current firmware you can leave it as .vob since the PS3 now reads vob format. Of course still rename the file so you know which movie is what! ;)

where is everyone on this thread?? There's been a couple of posts over the last week with no help.
Again, my apologies about that.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Re: Image size

I just tried this weekend to rip and stream a couple of DVD to a new 40 Gb PS3 with 2.35 firmware. First thing I noticed was that playing the ripped VOB file on the PS3, it did not fill the whole screen horizontally (as it dis when the disk was played on the PS3), as was posted by others above. Both TRUELIES and INDEPENDENCE day did this. Both are ~ 2.35 aspect ratio so there will be bars top and bottom but should fill the screen horizontally. I don't think the image is "cropped" but I'll have to do a close A B comparison. I can expand the image with WIDE on the TV (Sammy HTS-5687); my point is the ripped file and the original are not behavig identically. More digging
Are you streaming from a media server or using a USB drive? I don't use a media server so I am not in a position to really give you a good answer on that if you are. If you have a USB drive you can try this... try putting it on the USB drive and see if it works that way. If it does, then we have a streaming issue and we'll have to look into that.

I just finshed (well a couple months ago) putting the entire Highlander TV servies and all the movies on a 500GB MyBook without any problems whatsoever, and I still have around 200GB free! When I get time I plan on putting the rest of my 'sword genre' flicks on that drive.

Some question why do this, but when you have over 1000 DVDs, it's nice to consolidate some to a small footprint space wise like this. Plus since most either end up with no compression or very little, they all are still DVD quality. If I really like a special feature I'll grab that from the disc too but mostly I just get the movie itself.

One thing that does have me a little miffed though is they changed the look of the My Books now. I like things to look the same and not have a mismatched look sitting there. Maybe it's just me on that though!

C

·
0 Posts
@ wbassett

Thanks a lot for replying, I really appreciate it. This is seriously one of the most informative ps3 related threads on the web right now and I hope that it continues to grow with information. If you have those two movies, i would really appreciate it if you could give them a try and let me know the results on your end. I used anydvd software to break the encryption(which usually does a good job) but i still get the same results as if i just used dvdshrink. Not sure what's the deal, but with more people trying maybe we can narrow down and isolate the problem. Tia

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Image size

Are you streaming from a media server or using a USB drive? I don't use a media server so I am not in a position to really give you a good answer on that if you are. If you have a USB drive you can try this... try putting it on the USB drive and see if it works that way. If it does, then we have a streaming issue and we'll have to look into that.
I've tried putting the file on a USB and it behaves exactly the same way. Using "Full screen" in the "Screen Mode" option scales it fine. I'm amazed at how well streaming wirelessly from Tversity works; but I've only experimented with 3 DVDs.

One reproducible problem I've run into is loss of sync between audio and video (streaming or USB). It seems to occur on scene changes that may be DVD chapter breakpoints on the disk. I would expect
there is a lot of metadata at these points and that may be causing the problem. It does not happen at every chapter break. It can be resolved by stopping playback, falling back to the main PS3 screen and then resuming. Reminds me of a first generation Sony DVD player I had that did the same thing LOL.

I have an AMD 3000+ (~ 2.5 GHz) PC and it takes about an hour to rip a 120 min DVD with DVD shrink. Intel processors may work better for this.

I know what you mean about organizing media collections. I have ripped about 600 CDs (more than 6000 tracks) and having a database to browse, either in TVersity (not a great interface, new one promised soon) or Media Monkey (better) is wonderful; much nicer than getting down on hands and knees to find a disk, especially in the dark! If you haven't done it already, you might consider either Tversity or MM to create a database; you've done the tedious part of creating the data.

D

·
0 Posts
I ripped Star Wars IV (remastered version) without using any compression - file size was 6.4 GB. Obviously couldn't put this on a FAT32 drive the PS3 can use, but it streams OK from Tversity. The video library on my PC is NTFS, so that's one way around the 4 GB limit. Bad news is that I get an occasional dropout streaming the uncompressed file. Bandwith requirement is about 7-8 Mb/sec, probably right at my wireless limit (yeah I know it should be 27 Mb/s in theory and more like 19 Mb/s in the real world but mine's not that fast). The other bad news was the video artifacts, even uncompressed were horrible. White credits shimmered and wiggled; in the early scene in the white hallway, all the white lines in the walls were horrible black jaggy lines. The DVD played straight up was gorgeous from the PS3.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
dloose try this...

Try playing it locally on your PC and see if you have the same problem. Really there should be no difference between putting the DVD in or watching the archive, especially now that the PS3 can handle .vob files.

The only issues that could come into play would be compression (I do know if a file is compressed too much, aside from video quality hits, sometimes there are playback issues), copy protection, and then a bad archive.

The Shrink method isn't doing any video conversions, so as I mentioned there should be no difference in audio or video playback. When I run into a problem I always check it out on my PC to see if the problem follows the player. That's a real quick way to determine if it's the file itself or the PS3 is the issue.

I don't stream, my situation isn't practical for streaming, so I can't discuss any streaming problems from first hand experience.

I don't know where your video artifact issues are coming from. Like I said, it really should be a 'Is it live or is it Memorex' thing.

D

·
0 Posts
dloose try this...

The Shrink method isn't doing any video conversions, so as I mentioned there should be no difference in audio or video playback. When I run into a problem I always check it out on my PC to see if the problem follows the player. That's a real quick way to determine if it's the file itself or the PS3 is the issue.

I don't know where your video artifact issues are coming from. Like I said, it really should be a 'Is it live or is it Memorex' thing.
Thanks for the response. I REALLY wondered where the artifacts were coming from in the UNcompressed file. I'll try the PC connected to my HDTV and have a look.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I REALLY wondered where the artifacts were coming from in the UNcompressed file. I'll try the PC connected to my HDTV and have a look.
THe video is perfect from my PC sending 1028x720 to my monitor which upscales to 1080p. So something is misconfigured in the PS3 which is upscaling the file at 720x480 (p or i?) to 1080p. The disc in the PS3 is perfect. What output from the PS3 are you using?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
THe video is perfect from my PC sending 1028x720 to my monitor which upscales to 1080p. So something is misconfigured in the PS3 which is upscaling the file at 720x480 (p or i?) to 1080p. The disc in the PS3 is perfect. What output from the PS3 are you using?
I am using the HDMI output to a 55" 1080p Sony SXRD. Both the PS3 and SXRD are set to 1080p.

Is this just a couple of movies or everything?

What Firmware version is your PS3 at and what outputs are you using and what resolution setting? This is a strange one.

D

·
0 Posts
I am using the HDMI output to a 55" 1080p Sony SXRD. Both the PS3 and SXRD are set to 1080p.

Is this just a couple of movies or everything?

What Firmware version is your PS3 at and what outputs are you using and what resolution setting? This is a strange one.
Seeing artifacts with first 3 movies I've done. That's why I tried no compression.

HDMI from the PS3 (v 2.35, brand new 40 G) at 1080p/24 (or 60, that's not it) to a Denon 3808ci (scaling turned off), HDMI from Denon to Samsung HLT-5687S. My first try will be different resolutions out of the PS3; I'm new to the PS3 but I've been doing this stuff for a while and agree it's strange. If I could figure a way to send 10 sec of the file, I would. Maybe with Nero....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guy,

New to the forum and this great thread. Thanks for all the great info. I've been wanting tinker around with this for some time and since I've had the flu all week I finally got a chance.

I've only done one movie(Something about Mary) and It worked great. Is there a way to enable Subtitles? I checked them when intially ripping the dvd but it is not an option when I try to play it back on the PS3. I need them for my wife.

And had anyone figured out how to keep it from freezing up when you do a long fast forward. I figured it is because the file is so large( I set it to compress to 3999mb).

Thanks again guys!

141 - 160 of 417 Posts