Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

Just registered to get in on this thread; great info! I have ripped about 20 or so movies to my WD 500GB external HD so far and everything has gone great. Thanks for the great instructions! Before PS3 FW2.4 the video quality was so-so. But after the FW update the video quality has improved when playing back those movies off the external HD. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guy,

New to the forum and this great thread. Thanks for all the great info. I've been wanting tinker around with this for some time and since I've had the flu all week I finally got a chance.

I've only done one movie(Something about Mary) and It worked great. Is there a way to enable Subtitles? I checked them when intially ripping the dvd but it is not an option when I try to play it back on the PS3. I need them for my wife.

And had anyone figured out how to keep it from freezing up when you do a long fast forward. I figured it is because the file is so large( I set it to compress to 3999mb).

Thanks again guys!
I had that same issue, I assume you are leaving the filename extension as .VOB? I tried renaming the files with a .mpeg extension and the FF problem has disappeared!:yay:

D

·
0 Posts
Hi guys, I am new to the forum & registered specifically for this great thread. Thanks Bill & to all who have contributed.

I was trawling the net looking for information on how to do exactly what is be discussed here & stumbled across this thread. So I bought a Western Digital 1TB external HDD & have started backing up my DVD collection.

I have backed up around 20 movies with no issues, works a treat!

I have a few questions that I would appreciate if someone could answer or point me in the right direction.

1. Is there a size limit on the folders of the external HDD? The reason I ask is that I had 10 moves in one folder which I had called GANGSTER & copied another 5 or 6 movies to the folder as they were the same Genre. When I looked in the folder via the PS3 I could only see the first ten movies. I made another folder calling it GANGSTER_2 & moved the 5 or 6 "hidden" movies to it & I could see them via the PS3 with no issues. Not a problem, just curious.:nerd:

2. Is there a way to get a thumbnail of the movie onto the PS3 along with the movie or add it later? I am very happy that I can see the title & play the movie but my wife is not impressed that she can see a section for a still shot & yet there is nothing there:hush:So I said I would ask & try & find out. I have to keep her happy she is the boss:R

3. Seems to have escaped me at the minute but there is another question I have.:scratch:
Thanks Dougie

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post. Great forum and topic here. Thanks for the hard work and information provided...

Hey guys,

Just registered to get in on this thread; great info! I have ripped about 20 or so movies to my WD 500GB external HD so far and everything has gone great. Thanks for the great instructions! Before PS3 FW2.4 the video quality was so-so. But after the FW update the video quality has improved when playing back those movies off the external HD. Anyone else experience this?

Here's why movies from the HDD look better after 2.40 and 2.41.

Video
You can now use the [Frame Noise Reduction] and [Block Noise Reduction] settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.
You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to match the screen size.
Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported.
For DTS playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported.*
* "DTS" is a trademark of DTS Inc.

The PLAYSTATION®3 system software version 2.41 (with 2.40) update includes the following

D

·
0 Posts
2. Is there a way to get a thumbnail of the movie onto the PS3 along with the movie or add it later? I am very happy that I can see the title & play the movie but my wife is not impressed that she can see a section for a still shot & yet there is nothing there:hush:So I said I would ask & try & find out. I have to keep her happy she is the boss:R
A 15 second video preview can be added to thumbnail, search you tube for "add thumbnail to ps3 movie"
for a demo on how to do it. ( I can't paste the url as I have less than 10 posts)

I tried this method but it did not work for me, I think possibly because I left the copied movies as .vob files extension & this shows up on PS3 as MPEG2. The example on you tube is MPEG4.

Anyway I would like to add STILL thumbnail like the DVD cover to my movies so if someone know how to do this & can tell me that would be great.

Cheers Dougie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The latest firmware has indeed fixed all video quality issues I have been having. Unfortunately I'm having some audio sync issues.. possibly because I'm playing off of a 2.5" notebook drive powered by the usb port?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you all for this thread! Found the post regarding letting the drive "Spin up" or "warm up" I just paused for a few minutes and restarted and it was all synced up.:yay:

D

·
0 Posts
1. Is there a size limit on the folders of the external HDD? The reason I ask is that I had 10 moves in one folder which I had called GANGSTER & copied another 5 or 6 movies to the folder as they were the same Genre. When I looked in the folder via the PS3 I could only see the first ten movies. I made another folder calling it GANGSTER_2 & moved the 5 or 6 "hidden" movies to it & I could see them via the PS3 with no issues. Not a problem, just curious.:nerd:
I don't know what I did but I obviously did something incorrect above as since then I have added way more than 10 movies to a folder & been able to see them all.

You may find this interesting. I ran across a problem where the time to rip the movie to HDD doubled to tripled from 20-30 mins to 60-90 mins. I ran like this for a day or two & then checked it out.

So if any of you have a similar issue you can google "How to enable DMA" .Sorry again butI cannot add URL due to post counts being <10. Basically one of my IDE devices(external HDD, I think, no idea really) had slipped into PIO mode which basically eats up lots of CPU processing power & slows things right down. Switching back to DMA mode & re-booting the PC worked first time & restored the rip time to 20-30mins thankfully.

Cheers Dougie

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
My first attempt was with The Matrix (trilogy box set edition) and it failed to play properly on the ps3. It shows two files of the same length and size in dvd shrink If i select and output one file it shows the incorrect time length in the ps3(about 1 hr and 15 min) and has trouble fast forwarding. I havent sat down and watch the whole file but it seem like it contains the beginning and the end of the movie. it's really weird.

If i try to output both files, i get two .vob's and that's not the result that i'm going for as i dont want to stop in the middle and select the next .vob.

Same thing happened with the Incredibles except that one has 3 files of the same size and length in dvd shrink.
Sorry about the delay in getting back on this. I've been swamped with work and other projects.

Right now I'm running through the Matrix and then I'll try the Incredibles. When I get time I'll try some of the other movies some people are having trouble with.

I'll report back later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first attempt was with The Matrix (trilogy box set edition) and it failed to play properly on the ps3. It shows two files of the same length and size in dvd shrink If i select and output one file it shows the incorrect time length in the ps3(about 1 hr and 15 min) and has trouble fast forwarding. I havent sat down and watch the whole file but it seem like it contains the beginning and the end of the movie. it's really weird.

If i try to output both files, i get two .vob's and that's not the result that i'm going for as i dont want to stop in the middle and select the next .vob.

Same thing happened with the Incredibles except that one has 3 files of the same size and length in dvd shrink.

My third attempt was with Dumb and Dumber(original dvd release) This one worked flawlessly. Didnt need any more compression as the original was under 4 gb and i didnt even change the .vob to mpeg.

So i'm getting the feeling that newer dvds that have the movies spread over two layers are going to be harder to transfer over, i still cant figure out how to do it. Both the matrix and the incredibles were well over 6 gigs on a dual layer dvd while dumb and dumber was only about 3.5 gigs on a single layer(The dvd is actually dual layer but one of the older ones that you have to flip over and it contains the 4:3 version).

Any help with this would be much appreciated. If anyone has had success with any of these two titles please let me know so i can maybe trouble shoot from my end. here is my pc hardware spec:

Custom pc
Mobo- asus p5ld2
Pentium D 3.00
2 gb ram
dual booting Vista/Leopard OSX
I had a similar problem with the time and fast forward/rewind. I had to change my process for ripping movies. I still use shrink but I set the vob output to the 1gb chunks. Then I use a program called vob2mpg. This program will merge the smaller vobs into one .mpg (no selecting the next vob to play). I tried vob2mpg with the 1 vob output of shrink but vob2mpg didn't like that so back to 1 gb vob chunks from shrink.

This will correct the timing and FF/RW issues. As for extra time to perform the step it takes an additional 10 minutes on top of the 10-15 minutes to use shrink. Well worth it in my opinion because now I get the correct time, movie view thumbs on the xmb (internal movies only), and FF/RW issues are fixed. All this for an additional 10 minutes is fine by me.

Not sure about the layered movies. I've shrunk movies over 5.5 gigs with no problems yet.

Hope this is helpful.

J

·
0 Posts
Greetings, fine posters:

I originally stumbled across this thread several moons back, but since the ability to include subtitles isn't possible with this method, I went in other directions. Well I'm back (obviously :) ) and come bearing troubles.

I've had mixed success with this vob extraction method when it comes to preserving aspect ratios, specifically 1.78. When I extract from a 1.33 or 2.35 source, the resulting vob is displayed perfectly on my PS3. When I extract from 1.78, I get BIG black borders on the top and bottom of the screen. It looks like a 2.35 that someone stepped on. I'll note that when I play back the same file on my PC, it displays perfectly in 1.78.

Any ideas?

J

·
0 Posts
Just as a follow up:

I tried another 1.78 source and this time the vob displayed properly on the PS3. Could be something with the first set, so I'll try multiple 1.78 sources and post results here.

R

·
0 Posts
First thread here, just bought a PS3 and Samsung LN46A650 and will be doing the HD set-up. I have been wanting something like this for years and it will only improve.

First off thank you for creating this great thread and still here, still strong.

Few questions?

1. Has the new Firmware able to let you create sub folders?
- I just want folders titled 'Action' - 'Comedy' - 'Drama' - 'Thriller'
Can this be done?

2. Subtitles - The only reason I ask are all my Kung-Fu flciks. I rather not learn Chinese

3. I have ripped some of my blu-ray movies on my PC, and is no big deal as I have only 6, but I know down the road but DVD collection sickness will bleed into Blu-Ray. So is there a way to get them playing on a PS3?

4. Thumbnails. I know others have asked, but havent seen an answer. Has there been a way to view them yet? Perhaps changing the icon itself with the 'perfect icon' program.

5. Bill - I read that you want to split up your episodes. Perhaps 'Magic DVD Ripper' can have a solution, it you can convert DVD's into many different files and also split up episodes on those DVD's. I did with my South Park DVD's and converted them to IPod. - Check it out

Also-
Has anyone hooked up their HDD by firewire instead of USB. It's faster

Thanks and keep up the great work.

R

·
0 Posts
Went to the store to get the My Book either the 1tb or 500gb, but I was scared off with the My Book world Edition II with the networking options. I was thinking there might be a confliction . Would I have to format the My Book with a third party software? Or can this actually work? It would be nice to access and store my DVD's from my PC with the EHDD attached to the PS3 in the other room.

Has anyone have this model or any success?

It is really 2 500 GB built in one, is this still OK?

-Update-
I have been reading some really bad reviews about that drive, will end up buying....
Western Digital - My Book Home 1TB External FireWire/USB 2.0/eSATA Hard Drive
Model: WDH1CS10000N

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Quick update...

I tested The Matrix, The Incredibles, and True Lies and they all work fine.

A couple things to note though that could be different.
  • I put the mpeg extention on instead of leaving the files as .VOB
  • My copy of the Matrix is from the first run release and not the box set. There might be a difference between them and any encryption schemes on the discs.
  • I also have the original PS3 that has somewhat different hardware.
Anyway, I did test and didn't have a problem on my end. We'll figure out what's going on. :)

R

·
0 Posts
So I got that drive I mentioned in the update as well as the 21 DVD. When I first plugged in the EHDD it took like 5 minutes to find it. I had to go to view all and it had a couple other folders in it (I did delete everything on the PC) and then Videos, started 21 and it seemed a bit jumpy and laggy for the first 5 minutes. I pressed pause, then play, now it seems to play great.

Anyone else experiece this?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
First thread here, just bought a PS3 and Samsung LN46A650 and will be doing the HD set-up. I have been wanting something like this for years and it will only improve.

First off thank you for creating this great thread and still here, still strong.

Few questions?

1. Has the new Firmware able to let you create sub folders?
- I just want folders titled 'Action' - 'Comedy' - 'Drama' - 'Thriller'
Can this be done?

I don't have the latest Firmware (as in anything that's come out in the past several months). I hope they allow multiple subfolders in new releases.

Under the 'VIDEO' folder you can have other subfolders. I have the following folders under my VIDEO folder on one of my My Books:
  • 24 for the complete series of 24
  • BourneFiles- all of the Bourne movies in one folder
  • EnemyOfTheState- great flick!
  • IMF- Mission Impossible, all three movies, the TV series, including the 1988 series
  • RemoWilliams
  • The_Bond_Dossier- all 22 Bond flicks (Don't forget Never Say Never) and all the bonus discs and special features
  • TrueLies
  • xXx- Noooo, not those kind of movies! The one with Vin Desiel
This is my 'Spy' genre 'Book'. I still have over 100GB free on this drive. (It's a 320GB My Book). On my 500GB My Book I have the complete Highlander saga... all seven seasons and all four movies and I still have 200 plus GB free on that one.

I really wish though that you could do multiple sub folders, as in IMF/Movies IMF/Series/Season1 and so on.

Note: Don't waste your My Book space on music, I have tons of CDs on the PS3's internal drive and I doubt I'll ever fill it.

2. Subtitles - The only reason I ask are all my Kung-Fu flciks. I rather not learn Chinese

I never tried them, I always remove them when I reauthor. I'll do a movie and keep the subtitles and see if they work.

3. I have ripped some of my blu-ray movies on my PC, and is no big deal as I have only 6, but I know down the road but DVD collection sickness will bleed into Blu-Ray. So is there a way to get them playing on a PS3?

I've read that Bluray has a clause that states we can make one digital backup for our own use. You'll have to let me know how you do it.

As far as the PS3, that's a yes and no. Fat32 has a 4GB file size limitation, which you'll quicky exceed with High Def content. You can though stream it to the PS3 from your PC.

4. Thumbnails. I know others have asked, but havent seen an answer. Has there been a way to view them yet? Perhaps changing the icon itself with the 'perfect icon' program.

As far as I know thumbnail video on the internal drive- yes, thumbnail video on external drives- no.

I'm not sure if you can change the icon or not. The still frame thumbnails that you do get are from the actual video itself and not an ico image file.

5. Bill - I read that you want to split up your episodes. Perhaps 'Magic DVD Ripper' can have a solution, it you can convert DVD's into many different files and also split up episodes on those DVD's. I did with my South Park DVD's and converted them to IPod. - Check it out

I have to remember what I said as far as splitting up episodes. I do have multiple episodes of different series on my drives now and they work great. DVDs are fine, but when it comes to TV series, I really like having everything readily accessable like this... click the remote and watch whatever you want.

Also-
Has anyone hooked up their HDD by firewire instead of USB. It's faster

Thanks and keep up the great work.
I'll have to check, but the PS3 doesn't have firewire does it?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Went to the store to get the My Book either the 1tb or 500gb, but I was scared off with the My Book world Edition II with the networking options. I was thinking there might be a confliction . Would I have to format the My Book with a third party software? Or can this actually work? It would be nice to access and store my DVD's from my PC with the EHDD attached to the PS3 in the other room.

Has anyone have this model or any success?

It is really 2 500 GB built in one, is this still OK?

-Update-
I have been reading some really bad reviews about that drive, will end up buying....
Western Digital - My Book Home 1TB External FireWire/USB 2.0/eSATA Hard Drive
Model: WDH1CS10000N
I'd stay away from the World Edition My Book. Not because of anything I heard about it with the PS3, rather I've read some other issues with the World Edition. Plus it costs more.

You won't have to reformat the My Book or most any other name brand USB drive. They are all (most I should say) preformatted to Fat32. This allows them to be compatable with the widest range of computers out there. The PS3 only reads Fat32 (for now) so that's the format you want.

I just saw a 500GB My Book for $99 the other day. I can't remember if it was at Walmart, Target, or Best Buy though.

R

·
0 Posts
I believe there is a firewire in the back of mine. I have the 80 GB I bought with the MGS4 bundle

161 - 180 of 417 Posts