Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is anybody having issues with getting the ps4 to output anything other than stereo through HDMI?
Nope, no issues with ps4, only having issues with bf4...

They simplifed audio setting on ps4 vs slim ps3... although i had no issues with slim ps3 audio... what are you having issues with game audio or blu's, or both?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nope, no issues with ps4, only having issues with bf4...

They simplifed audio setting on ps4 vs slim ps3... although i had no issues with slim ps3 audio... what are you having issues with game audio or blu's, or both?
Ok well I noticed that while playing Ghost on my Ps3 that it was in 7.1PCM but when I played it on Ps4 it was only 2.0PCM. So I decided to try out some blu's that I know are 7.1(DTS MA Audio/Dolbly TrueHD) and still only getting 2.0PCM. Now I do know that on my Ps3 that when doing audio setup I always had to use manual to add all the supported formats but I don't see that option on my Ps4 and the only way for me to get surround it through optical cable (max 5.1 :foottap:)

Oh and I running via HDMI to my Sony STRDN2010

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok well I noticed that while playing Ghost on my Ps3 that it was in 7.1PCM but when I played it on Ps4 it was only 2.0PCM. So I decided to try out some blu's that I know are 7.1(DTS MA Audio/Dolbly TrueHD) and still only getting 2.0PCM. Now I do know that on my Ps3 that when doing audio setup I always had to use manual to add all the supported formats but I don't see that option on my Ps4 and the only way for me to get surround it through optical cable (max 5.1 :foottap:)

Oh and I running via HDMI to my Sony STRDN2010
I know when playing blu's, if you press the option button you can change the audio output to bitstream pcm/dts/dolby, so whichever you prefer... otherwise have no clue why only 2.0 for you?? Guess you can go to settings and verifiy audio out via hdmi, and choice of bitstream you which to go with, try that if you havent yet...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know when playing blu's, if you press the option button you can change the audio output to bitstream pcm/dts/dolby, so whichever you prefer... otherwise have no clue why only 2.0 for you?? Guess you can go to settings and verifiy audio out via hdmi, and choice of bitstream you which to go with, try that if you havent yet...
I tried that and the funny thing is that it'll say its playing in 7.1 DTS master hd but thats not what receiver plays. It's just driving me crazy because I can pop the same disc in my Ps3 which is also connected via HDMI and it works just fine

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I need some help. I created a user account for my wife on the PS4 and I'm trying to figure out how to setup a PSN account for her. I doubt she'll ever play online but would like her to have the ability if she wants to. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I need some help. I created a user account for my wife on the PS4 and I'm trying to figure out how to setup a PSN account for her. I doubt she'll ever play online but would like her to have the ability if she wants to. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work?
If you cant do it in the ps4, go online and do it

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I'm sure there's a way I'm just stuck in a loop chasing my tail here. I'll google it later. I'm sure I'm not the first to struggle with this. It just seems fairly straightforward but when I follow the steps on the screen I get nowhere.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Question.

My tv is at one end of the room while the AV equipment (receiver, dvd payer, etc.) are on the other end. For the PS4, do I need to hook it up to the tv or can it be hooked up to the receiver?

What is the best way to hook it up in this type of scenario?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Question.

My tv is at one end of the room while the AV equipment (receiver, dvd payer, etc.) are on the other end. For the PS4, do I need to hook it up to the tv or can it be hooked up to the receiver?

What is the best way to hook it up in this type of scenario?
Run hdmi to receiver would work if you have open hdmi input... then let receiver output video similar to your dvd player (i'm assuming)... while also taking advantage of hdmi audio over optical audio

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Question. My tv is at one end of the room while the AV equipment (receiver, dvd payer, etc.) are on the other end. For the PS4, do I need to hook it up to the tv or can it be hooked up to the receiver? What is the best way to hook it up in this type of scenario?
Hook the PS4 into the receiver. I hook all of my sources into the Onkyo and then just one HDMI from the receiver to the tv. The receiver is the brain of the system.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Woke up to a firmware update (1.51) and I'd expect a flurry early on. I want my PS4 to do everything and more than my PS3 did.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I played some Resogun last night. If you haven't checked it out it's a must and free for PS Plus members. Really fun game (intense) with some amazing audio and video. When my wife walked into the room all she said was "wow".

·
Registered
19 Posts
I played some Resogun last night. If you haven't checked it out it's a must and free for PS Plus members. Really fun game (intense) with some amazing audio and video. When my wife walked into the room all she said was "wow".
Yes audio is great on Resogun, not too sure what the objective of the game is, but it reminds me of Defender...

Another game with great soundtrack is nba 2k14... had to turn volume on avr below 10, since my psa xv15 was thumping!! Still felt it in the couch at low volume, just not as deep...

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes audio is great on Resogun, not too sure what the objective of the game is, but it reminds me of Defender... Another game with great soundtrack is nba 2k14... had to turn volume on avr below 10, since my psa xv15 was thumping!! Still felt it in the couch at low volume, just not as deep...
I think the objective is to save the humans and not get shot. Yes, I agree NBA 2K14 is excellent on all fronts also.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hook the PS4 into the receiver. I hook all of my sources into the Onkyo and then just one HDMI from the receiver to the tv. The receiver is the brain of the system.
Thanks guys. So, if the hdmi goes to the receiver, how does the tv know which input to go to see the ps4?

or is there one cable that I need to buy that goes from the receiver to the tv for the video input?:dontknow:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks guys. So, if the hdmi goes to the receiver, how does the tv know which input to go to see the ps4? or is there one cable that I need to buy that goes from the receiver to the tv for the video input?:dontknow:
one cable from receiver to tv. Hdmi out or sometimes called monitor out from receiver to the TV and whatever source you have the ps4 plugged into on receiver, blu-ray input on mine with ps3, then switch input to blu-ray on receiver and it will send video signal to tv

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Great thanks once again. Since the receiver has multiple HDMI inputs, I can just hook up any component such as PS4 or another DVD player or something else and that would be sufficient to that receiver and with that one long cable that I have going from the receiver to the tv, the tv will get the signal. :)

I am good now. thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok so I've called Sony looking for help and still have no answers regarding how to get 7.1 surround sound to work. I'm thinking maybe my receiver may be too old. So if it's not a bother, can any of you running a 7.1 setup just tell me what receiver you're using.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok so I've called Sony looking for help and still have no answers regarding how to get 7.1 surround sound to work. I'm thinking maybe my receiver may be too old. So if it's not a bother, can any of you running a 7.1 setup just tell me what receiver you're using.
Need more info,

How is your PS4 connected to the receiver? How do you know that you aren't getting 7.1? Do you have the PS4 audio configured for PCM via HDMI?

61 - 80 of 98 Posts