Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to see what this new Ps4 will have to offer and the price tag that will come with it. I would like to get one because they offer the Sunday ticket so that's a +

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
It appears to have a better memory and processor but as for the rest I am still not impressed yet. Social media and gaming??? Not what I'm looking for. Show me 4K movie streaming access and maybe I will consider. PS3 compatible, no....big negative.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to have a better memory and processor but as for the rest I am still not impressed yet. Social media and gaming??? Not what I'm looking for. Show me 4K movie streaming access and maybe I will consider. PS3 compatible, no....big negative.
I agree I'm not interested in the social media part

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
no mention of 4K.. Availability during xmas holidays.. Wonder why they didn't show the actual console?

·
Registered
315 Posts
It looks to me like it will be very compatible with the previous playstations. It is just that you will have to use cloud services to do so. I am assuming Gaikai is going to be free, but I could be wrong. I was kind of hoping for a bigger increase in graphics, but I understand that it costs a lot of money to do that. I will probably wait for the system to drop into the 300-400 price range. I got my first playstation free with the tv I bought, and now I am hooked. I haven't played in quite some time because the games I play make you lose your life. It is sad when you are going to work all day and then play modern warfare at night when I should be sleeping.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought my PS3 last year, and I still have a ton of PS3 titles to play through, before I migrate over to a PS4 that is not compatible with the PS3. Or if they do offer backwards compatibility, it will probably have an expiration date like the PS3 did with the PS2 titles.

RIPOFF! But I'm sure the next Xbox will do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my PS3 last year, and I still have a ton of PS3 titles to play through, before I migrate over to a PS4 that is not compatible with the PS3. Or if they do offer backwards compatibility, it will probably have an expiration date like the PS3 did with the PS2 titles.

RIPOFF! But I'm sure the next Xbox will do the same thing.
From what I'm reading it looks like the ps3 games will be compatible

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
PS3 is compatible so no worries for older pS3 games! :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
From their cloud service yes but the physical disc no. That's what I read anyway.
That is exactly the way I read it, also. It says that the PS4 doesn't have native compatibility, but the cloud service makes it compatible with everything. I think this is a win, except if it costs people from being able to share games. I remember when I was younger, a friend would bring over a game and I would like it and buy it. I have heard that games may or may not be licensed to a single ps4. Times have changed, and I usually just go rent the game from redbox before I buy it now.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I have heard that games may or may not be licensed to a single ps4. Times have changed, and I usually just go rent the game from redbox before I buy it now.
Exactly, how will single license games effect the game rental business??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sony released that the ps4 will not block used games. 4k media playback will be possible for photo and video only, no 4k games. Some people are bummed about that but I don't think it's a bad thing. Games running native 1080p at 60fps with all the new power is gonna be a solid upgrade. Most games now run native sub hd up converted by the system. Psn purchases won't be carried over and no backwards compatibility. As a long time console gamer, I'm very much looking forward to adding this and the next Xbox to my setup

·
Registered
315 Posts
I figured they wouldn't block used games since that market also helps boost sales in general and total profit for Sony. This entire concept did give me an idea about how to make awesome video games with hardware just the same way as most mapping services provide my desktop pc for my business.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Sony released that the ps4 will not block used games. 4k media playback will be possible for photo and video only, no 4k games.
Can you point me toward the article that says it will be 4K playback?? Is it 4K upconvert or 4k passthrough?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you point me toward the article that says it will be 4K playback?? Is it 4K upconvert or 4k passthrough?

Sorry dude, i tried to post the link from ign but im so new it wouldnt let me yet. They haven't really stated if it will just be 4k streaming capabilities or 4k blu ray. I'm sure we'll know more around e3. Just said media playback of photos and video only and that 3d isn't a focus right now

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
What I would like to see is a 128 GB SSD drive in the PS4. Would make boot times and loads faster...especially if your going to be putting nice memory and processor like they are.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I would like to see is a 128 GB SSD drive in the PS4. Would make boot times and loads faster...especially if your going to be putting nice memory and processor like they are.
I think I read that there's no load up time

1 - 20 of 89 Posts