Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with these modes? Today, I played around with my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver's Pure Audio and Direct modes while playing some CDs, and honestly, I couldn't hear any difference between them and normal Stereo, where the tone controls are active...

I understand that these modes bypass the bass and treble controls typically, and the Pure Audio even shuts off the receiver's display and video circuitry for supposed "cleaner" audio transfer and delivery, but honestly, I couldn't hear much, if any, difference between Stereo (where I leave my bass and treble at the midway default anyway) and Pure/Direct. With Pure and then Direct, the bass was still punchy and active, and there wasn't really any "cleaning up" of the signal that I could detect -- are these modes supposed to be readily audible in terms of sound differences or are they basically just bypassing the tone controls?

I'm thinking I'll just stick with the normal Stereo mode output and leave the bass and treble at midway...

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I guess it all depends on whether you believe there is any difference in the sound produced by using the shortest/cleanest audio path, and whether you can hear the difference. My answer would be yes to the former and no to the later.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand what the features are there for, fellas, and what they're "supposed" to do, but perhaps it's a bit different with my stereo receiver...on surround AVRs, these modes are supposed to shut down video circuirty and such so there's a "cleaner" path for music signals. When I tried switching the Pure Audio and Direct modes on and compared them to the plain Stereo mode of my Onkyo stereo receiver, I didn't hear much of a difference, if any at all. Supposedly, there's supposed to be a "hiss" taken out of the tone controls (bass/treble) when engaging Pure or Direct, but I just didn't hear it...

Furthermore, Pure Audio shuts off the display of the receiver as well, which I don't understand the science behind nor find anything appealing about...

Thoughts?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
A quality receiver will have a SNR to should make hiss all but inaudible at reasonable listening levels. Turning off the display, in theory, reduces RFI that introduces audible noise.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quality receiver will have a SNR to should make hiss all but inaudible at reasonable listening levels. Turning off the display, in theory, reduces RFI that introduces audible noise.
Thank you, Marshall.

Should it be concluded then that in my particular case, running the receiver in normal "Stereo" mode (with bass and treble completely flat, as I leave it) should yield satisfactory results, or identical results, as running the Pure or Direct modes?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Pure and Direct Modes are mostly offered to cater to SACD/DVD-A aficionados where having the Signal go through D/A Conversion defeats the purpose of the Format.

The biggest issues with these Modes is most people do not have Full Range or anywhere near Speakers. With these Modes not using the Subwoofer, many setups will really be lacking the lowest octaves. For the fortunate few that have Speakers that go close to 20 Hz, it does offer the ability to have a very untouched Signal.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello,
Pure and Direct Modes are mostly offered to cater to SACD/DVD-A aficionados where having the Signal go through D/A Conversion defeats the purpose of the Format.

The biggest issues with these Modes is most people do not have Full Range or anywhere near Speakers. With these Modes not using the Subwoofer, many setups will really be lacking the lowest octaves. For the fortunate few that have Speakers that go close to 20 Hz, it does offer the ability to have a very untouched Signal.
Cheers,
JJ
Thanks Jack,

This is kind of making more sense to me; however, keep in mind that I am talking about a stereo setup using my stereo receiver -- not a multichannel AVR. Using the stereo receiver, I don't hear much of a difference between just letting the signal from my CD changer run in normal Stereo mode and switching between Direct/Pure Audio.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
Even with a multichannel (more than 2) AVR, Pure/Direct mode runs in Stereo only, or at least that has been my experience. My experience has also been that running my AVR in Stereo vs Direct hasn't had an effect to my ears, but I have not tried SACD/DVD-A.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even with a multichannel (more than 2) AVR, Pure/Direct mode runs in Stereo only, or at least that has been my experience. My experience has also been that running my AVR in Stereo vs Direct hasn't had an effect to my ears, but I have not tried SACD/DVD-A.
Marshall,

When selecting Pure/Direct on a surround AVR, the mode doesn't go into Stereo -- it merely sends a source signal out the way it was recorded, and the subwoofer isn't involved; in STEREO, a sub and tone controls are active.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would suggest focusing comments on specific units rather than trying to generalize. Different products have different meanings for functions like pure/direct. Some simply bypass part of the circuit, some shut down circuits not in use, some only operate in stereo, etc. Rather than making a general statement correcting someone, it would be better, and in the spirit of posting cooperatively that we require here at Home Theater Shack, give an example of a product that differs from his experience and describe the details.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well my Elite has three of these modes. The first is Stream direct which bypasses all unnecessary signal processing in order to hear the truest signal possible. Second is Direct which allows sources to be heard according to the settings made in the surround setup. Last is Pure direct which lets anolog sources be heard without any digital processing at all and it also shuts off the second zone. I have tried them all and besides the surround effects of direct I really don't hear a difference. At least non that I noticed.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
In my Onkyo 805 Direct mode also turns off the sub output and runs the mains full range, Im not really sure I like that feature as even though my mains go down to 36Hz I like the extra depth the sub adds to music. I usually just listen to music in stereo mode.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Marantz receiver has two Direct modes. At least one shuts off the sub. For some music I don't really miss the sub but with anything bass heavy, my speakers can't keep up.

With my receiver, noise levels are below audibility so shutting off extra circuitry doesn't do anything useful for sound quality. I stopped using those modes and consider them a marketing feature rather than something genuinely useful.

Jim

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Marshall,

When selecting Pure/Direct on a surround AVR, the mode doesn't go into Stereo -- it merely sends a source signal out the way it was recorded, and the subwoofer isn't involved; in STEREO, a sub and tone controls are active.
You seem very sure of yourself here, but Marshall is right in numerous cases. Though I would point out that my HK has direct modes for 5 channel, 4 channel and 2 channel. They are labeled as such. Pure Audio mode shuts in my experience shuts down the front display and normally only works in stereo in my experience.

Let's avoid being general on something that varies from receiver to receiver so much. Onkyo and HK do it differently in my time of using those receivers.

·
Registered
678 Posts
... however, keep in mind that I am talking about a stereo setup using my stereo receiver -- not a multichannel AVR. Using the stereo receiver, I don't hear much of a difference between just letting the signal from my CD changer run in normal Stereo mode and switching between Direct/Pure Audio.
When I looked up the manual for the TX-SR8555 last night, it appears that Direct/Pure only disables the tone controls (and front panel display for Pure). Although the receiver has a sub pre-out, the setup mentions nothing about setting a crossover; my guess is it depends on the sub's filter to roll it in where the mains fall off. Even though it has digital steps when setting the level for each input source, that alone does not establish that it does digital processing. It may use analog signal processing for all its audio signals.

So it does not surprise me that you cannot hear much of a difference.

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would suggest focusing comments on specific units rather than trying to generalize. Different products have different meanings for functions like pure/direct. Some simply bypass part of the circuit, some shut down circuits not in use, some only operate in stereo, etc. Rather than making a general statement correcting someone, it would be better, and in the spirit of posting cooperatively that we require here at Home Theater Shack, give an example of a product that differs from his experience and describe the details.
I did not intend to "correct" him via a generalized statement with my post; it truly was not my motive. I was attempting to point out the fact that by putting a receiver into one of these modes does not automatically, as far as I was aware, drop the system into a "stereo" format as the sub is not normally utilized in these "pure" modes, et al.

But apparently, some tweaking of my replies are in order, due to varying implementations of these circuits and my intentions when analyzing and referring to them, so I am addressing that now.

I did not mean to post un-cooperatively. :bigsmile:

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my Elite has three of these modes. The first is Stream direct which bypasses all unnecessary signal processing in order to hear the truest signal possible. Second is Direct which allows sources to be heard according to the settings made in the surround setup. Last is Pure direct which lets anolog sources be heard without any digital processing at all and it also shuts off the second zone. I have tried them all and besides the surround effects of direct I really don't hear a difference. At least non that I noticed.
Thanks for the input.

Neither of my Onkyos have these varying degrees of stereo bypass modes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts