Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I'm not sure what I am looking at in this .gif. Does the Push-Pull Pulsar contain 8 drivers? Are the two center drivers acoustically coupled? If so, should they be moving in the same direction, instead of opposed, as shown.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That's interesting, though the side firing speakers aren't technically balanced because their movement could induce a moment (torque) about the center of the enclosure (though it likely would be minor).

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
OK, looking at the photo of this $50k beast, the backsides of the center drivers are open to the outside, so the answer is that they are not coupled. It appears that the top and bottom are just stacked.

I can see that flipping sets of speakers around, one inside, and one outside, would reduce second harmonic distortion, but I thought the sets were usually tightly coupled. Push-pull setups I have seen have the speakers bolted face-to-face, with only a baffle in between to mount them to the enclosure. Then there would be air chambers on both sides with ports making a bandpass subwoofer. This not that. I think it is four sealed subs, each with two drivers mounted back and front and connected in reverse polarity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I could see the advantage of having two drivers face to face locked together with a small volume of air holding them together, this would make the cones more rigid/stable.
I don't see the advantage of this setup?
Thank you all for your posts. I have attached the instruction sheet that describes how one pair or two pairs of cabinets are stacked and bolted together with heavy duty stacking brackets and neoprene coupling pads. The opposite facing drivers do "torque" but the cabinets are tightly locked together so the driver vibration cancels.

KEN

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes our DUO and QUATTRO subwoofer systems are quite solid indeed. One of the features of these subwoofers, both the DXD-808 (dual 8") and DXD-12012 (dual 12") is that they are modular and scaleable. So you could start off with one subwoofer, then add a second one to form the 3D Push-Pull-Pulsar DUO sub system and later on add two more to form the Ultimate Subwoofer System, the QUATTRO Near Field Line Array system.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Just curious as to what are the benefits of using this push/pull configuration as opposed to using a dual opposed?

I understand they do the same in cancelling out mechanical forces in quad setups but wanted to know more about the single setup and why this setup was chosen over others.

I am only curious because I am wanting to learn more about the technology. I used to have a MK 350 from back in the day and loved that subwoofer. I soon got into DIY and bigger subs since then. BUT MK always holds a special place in my heart as my first true subwoofer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are two more things compared to common push pull that I know:

1st: by mounting the second woofer inside out and have it wired the other way round compared to the other woofer, the even order distortion will be canceled out.

2nd: Multy direction bass morphes the bass radiation from spherical to line radiation and gives you a better coupling to the room, too. If spread carefully from floor to ceiling (less than half lambda) those room modes will be canceled out as well.

There is probably more: Maybe Ken will jump in.

Felix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts