Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to stream music to my Onkyo Receiver through it's ethernet connection. It's great that now I dont need an intermediary device like the WDTV Live to serve the music stream to the receiver. I used the Music Direct Mode to reduce receiver processing. Even though I set the subwoofer to On in the Direct mode, I don't hear the subwoofer . When I switch to stereo or any other mode, the subwoofer works. However there seems to be a slight loss in high freq in stereo mode compared to Direct Mode.

I have some questions re Audyssey and music modes to help me understand what is happening:

a) Does the receiver output any signals to the Subwoofer when in Direct Mode?

b) Is Audyssey EQ deactivated when in Direct Music mode even though the EQ for Audyssey is set to on ? I assume it's on in Stereo mode so this could account for the high freq roll off in Stereo vs Direct mode . If Audyssey is deactivated in Direct mode what happens to all the speaker distance and crossover settings I made after Audyssey setup ?

b) When Audyssey is active in stereo mode , the manual EQ does not seem to be available. Is there another way to add a slight treble boost ? Alternatively can I adjust the Audyssey target curve to be flatter at the high end?

Tks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
a) Does the receiver output any signals to the Subwoofer when in Direct Mode?
Generally, yes. You refer to setting your sub on for Direct but it is not clear to me that you can actually do that.​

b) Is Audyssey EQ deactivated when in Direct Music mode even though the EQ for Audyssey is set to on ?
Yes. That is what direct means: Minimal or no additional processing.​
I assume it's on in Stereo mode so this could account for the high freq roll off in Stereo vs Direct mode .
Yes.​
If Audyssey is deactivated in Direct mode what happens to all the speaker distance and crossover settings I made after Audyssey setup ?
They remain in effect in most AVRs.​

c) When Audyssey is active in stereo mode , the manual EQ does not seem to be available.
Yes. Audyssey precludes tone controls in some AVRs.​
Is there another way to add a slight treble boost ? Alternatively can I adjust the Audyssey target curve to be flatter at the high end?
If your AVR has multiple Audyssey target curves, you can choose one with less HF rolloff but, otherwise, no.​

Considering the generally sad quality of Internet transmissions, I question why you would even consider using "Direct" to listen to them.

Kal

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was listening to high quality Flac downloads from HDtracks and other Audiophile sites. . So I thought I would try to use Direct mode as first option.

In the Onkyo NR3007 , there is a setting under Direct to allow subwoofer output. However after re reading the manual it only applies to Analog inputs not digital :(

I believe there is only one Audyssey Target curve with the Onkyo NR3007. Only other settings are offsets to Reference Curve.

So if I use Direct Mode , I need to reset my Crossover points for the main speakers to something very low so it operates as full range .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts