Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all,

What method / tools do you use to cut, say a 6" PVC pipe perfectly straight for your LLTs?? Please chime in, thanks!

:T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Table saw works really well.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
You could use a hand miter box. Cheap and easy to get a perfectly straight cut. If you have a jigsaw, that it what I use.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use a handsaw.

Marking up....

A simple way to get 90 degrees is to roll a piece of cardboard around the pipe. When the edges of the cardboard line up, mark around the pipe with a pen

For shorter ports, you can ensure the ends are parallel....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dang thats clever collo. All these years of cutting pvc pipe for various DIY projects and I never thought of that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I often us a mitersaw and place the PVC firmly against the rail and spin it towards the motor (using Collo's method would be very helpful to ensure accuracy).

Another method I use most often is to use a band saw.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I sketched up my jig, a circle is routed in the deck just slightly larger than the tube's outer diameter. The deck is clamped at a right angle to the tube and set with large worm gear clamps - not drawn, but you get the idea (hose clamps ).
The router's depth is set to coincide with the placement of the deck (say 1/2" down on a 3/4" deck), and a spiral up-cut bit is used to shave the end of the tube. Sweeping passes with the spinning up-cut bit over the tube. The cut into the tube's end will end up being 1/4" inch taller than where the bottom of the deck sits relative to the tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
My method:
(one pipe at a time:dumbcrazy:)

two high fences
cut both ends, start long, then flip and cut to final length

1 - 12 of 12 Posts