Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have been following my theater build thread (link), you will know that I'm building a top notch, mid-budget theater in my basement. I am custom building the entire room myself....including the subs. I have built several subs in the past and I always enjoy the results as well as the build. This is one area that I really wanted to put my budget to good use. I decided to build Rythmik kits using four DS1501 drivers and two H600 plate amps

I built the boxes out of 3/4 MDF and painted them with eggshell black latex paint. The subs will be located on the front wall behind my AT screen. I wasn't too concerned with having a perfect finish...just basic black that won't reflect light. The boxes are each 3 cu ft internal volume. There is internal bracing and double layered MDF on all sides. These things are heavy. Each box + driver weighs 120lbs. Because I built a box for each driver, I also needed to build separate boxes for the plate amps to live. These will hang on the wall next to each pair of driver boxes. I didn't want to spend the money (over 100$) for binding posts (32 total) to connect all these components together. Instead, I purchased some brass tubing to make some DIY banana plug ports. This was less than a fifth of the expense and I wish I had thought of it when I built the kits for my other speakers.

I am currently assembling the electrical components and should have all the boxes wired and buttoned up tonight. I will be running REW on them this weekend, so I should have some response plots and more pictures shortly. In the mean time, here are the pictures from my build. ENJOY!!!

Stacks of MDF cut and ready for assembling:

One of the boxes in clamps:

My four horsemen:

Stack of brass banana plug ports:

Banana plug ports soldered to wiring:

H600 Amp:

DS1501 Driver:

Installing Amp:

Finished Amp Box:

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,368 Posts
Those subs look wonderful. :thumb: You seem to have a tremendous amount of skill, making you perhaps the perfect type of person to tackle the massive job of a complete HT build. I can only imagine having such ability, because it's far beyond anything I'm capable of. :hail: I can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, two per amp. it is a kit sold that way by Rythmik. I actually think the drivers are each 8ohms and wired in parallel. That will give me a 4ohm load on the amp rated at 600W. So...only 300W per driver.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really, my goal here was not to get ultimate SPLs. I was shooting for extremely accurate LFE with no distortion and as much Sd as I could get. I wanted 10Hz capability, and I think that should be no problem with these babies.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice subs! Can you give me a little info on your finishing process? Did you use a sealer at all? I'm currently looking into painting options for my build.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used one coat of Kilz 2 primer and two coats Valspar Signature Paint+Primer Eggshell. Normally I would seal the exposed edges of any MDF boards (with 50/50 wood glue and water) then sand. I didn't this time because the boxes will always be hidden and I wasn't quite as concerned about aesthetics.

If yours are going to be visible, I would go slightly glossier on the sheen scale. The eggshell is nice for reducing reflections, but it shows dust and dirt unfortunately well. It cleans easy with a damp rag though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was reading your ht build and thought, "man, why doesn't he put a big honkin' sub in that space behind the screen...", and then I read up on this build. Much more evil chuckling idea, I think. These subs look awesome, nicely done! :T

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I couldn't be happier with the result on these things. The bass output is amazing....and i only hooked up two. Here are a couple of sweeps i did with a few different settings for low end roll off. I wish I could see what the curve looked like with a better meter. Even though REW is calibrated, my little ratshack meter is not made to read down to 10. I did use the sine wave generator at 10 Hz though and it kinda hurts your ears....again...only two boxes connected.

·
Registered
683 Posts
...though and it kinda hurts your ears...
Nice; I can only imagine what your setup is going to be like with the other two beasts jumping into the fray! Will your ears hurt more, or your chest? Will this qualify as a pre-existing condition? :D :hsd:

·
Registered
50 Posts
It looks like the only really bad room null is at just over 20 Hz.

And with 4 going, you will not have to worry about SPL.

Very nice.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...these are not in the actual room, so peaks and nulls mean little at this point. I will report back when i get them in room and equalized.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts