Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The idea behind this was to serve as a coffee table of sorts under the screen. I built it with nothing but a circular saw so don't crack on it too hard. :) Almost finished, slapping on some paint right now and will wire it up in the next day or two. I have had two for about a year maybe, got them when they first came out, just now adding two more but in a box with a different footprint.

Box is double refined cabinet grade MDF, bracing is leftover baltic birch and poplar dowels for cross braces and poplar 1x2 panel braces. No screws, only glue. Will be end to end for a 98" long box and have "absolute black" granite covering the top of it. There were only four cross cuts on the entire project and I did that with my miter saw, otherwise I used the entire width of a MDF sheet.

cutting everything with a circular saw and plywood straight edge:

gluing up the basic box:

ghetto gluing job with dumbbells and wedged in wood:

panel braces:

cross braces:

belt sander smoothed the corners off. not bad for a circular saw I guess.

primer coat:

cutting holes:

test fitting the woofers:

first coat of semi-gloss black paint plus beginning to stuff them with R-19 insulation, need to make the insulation uniform somehow:

Putting the third coat of black paint on shortly. Will update when I've got it wired up and the granite installed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent work for a skill saw!
What are you powering them with?
Crown 2502 for now, when I get more money I hope to swap to a Speakerpower rack mount unit. I've had an iNuke 6000 and know what its like. The Crown drives two of them ok for my liking for now, anything much harder and the subs start distorting, and that's just running stereo into 4 ohm nominal, which if you look at the impedance curve its more like at least twice that for anything above 10 hz. Cutting the impedance in half should make it be ok for awhile. Really the only shortcoming I've found in that amp is long term subsonic output. It handles peaks and above 20 hz just fine. Sine waves at 5 hz that last for several seconds at max power, not so much. Capacitors drain pretty quickly and the limiters kick in shortly afterwards.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
For the life of me I don't know why you thought someone would have a negative comment about the craftsmanship, because for sure it's very well done! :T

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim.

Anyway, third coat of paint just got slapped on. Sloppy around the inside of the holes but whatever. Its still wet, it dries to what I would call a satin. It's semi-gloss but its the Behr paint and primer in one that is slightly more chalky than the high end stuff at Sherwin Williams, but Behr is easier to use if you're using a brush or roller with black paint.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,301 Posts
As soon as you drop in the drivers no one will see any runs/imperfections around the cutouts, so that might not be worth agonizing over. If the finish isn't what you want what about wet-sanding with 5000? Once the paint cures that could really bring up the gloss.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
That looks like my Milwakee 15 amp circular saw! That is no regular saw. Once you use one of those, it's kinda hard not to buy more quality tools! Mine gives really great cuts with more than the needed HP. Nice job.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks great but dont you worry about glare off the granite when watching a movie with the lights off?
No, it's actually better than without it. Paint glares WAY more, the entire sub box glows. With granite it gets reflected up to the ceiling and away from the viewing position in the seats. Only problem is the edge, the roundover does reflect some light, so there's a thin line across the front. If I had to do it over again that is the only thing I would do different, try to get as sharp of an edge as possible. Even a small pencil sized roundover reflects.

Anyway, this is what it looks like all cleaned up. The center channel is just temporary, tomorrow I have three acoustic elegance woofers coming in, going to try to squeeze them and some Dayton Pro AMT's behind the screen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts