Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of putting together a MTM with the bottom of the cabinet being used to house a subwoofer and passive radiator (think Definitive Technologies BP series). I'll be relocating in the coming weeks and I'm not going to be able to lug my 7.2 system with me so I'm trying to put something together to limit the amount of space that's taken up.

Right now I'm thinking of going with a 10" sub, side firing, and an opposing PR which will most likely be the AE PR15 750. What I need is some suggestions on whether or not the Dayton RSS265-HF will suffice. I'm not looking for earth shaking bass but enough to eliminate the need for a seperate enclosure. eD has their 110v.2 on sale right now which has about 6mm more Xmax. I've modeled both and the numbers look pretty good (around Fb: 23hz V: 54 liters) for being in a small enclosure. So any thoughts on Dayton vs eD? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah it depends if you will mostly be using these for HT or music. For HT I guess whichever one has more output would be better but for music the Dayton Reference speakers tend to sound really good and are very linear. Tho maybe someone here has heard both and can give a first hand opinion? I know all the subs I have built for friends using the Dayton Reference series 10" and 12" woofers have sounded very very good and play plenty loud for music and modest HT and gaming.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If you have the funds I must strongly suggest a JL Audio 8w7-3. They are probably the best sub for MTMs I've found. They can match many 12" subs for output. They aren't cheap, but you won't find a better 8 or 10" driver on this planet IMO. I suppose you could look at the 10" version too.

Don't buy the 1500 unless you get a mad deal on it used. The 2500 is cheaper at zzounds with a pricematch to B&H. You will want to use a very good crossover to integrate the mains and the JL Audio if you plan to cross them above 100hz. I suggest a CX2310. It uses LR4 filters which I prefer for MBM-speaker integration.

MBMs are fun IMO. I can't wait till mine are done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will be about 80/20 HT to music so the extra output will be needed and most likely I'll give the nod to the ED. But finding both subs for the same price makes the decision difficult. However I have a very nice 2 channel setup strictly for music playback so I think I'll be just fine with the extra output over the Dayton.

BTW thanks Mike P for the graphs:T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts