Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started my Tuba HT this weekend and wanted to share my progress so far. I got a cold on thursday so I did not get as much done as I had hoped to.

Dayton DVC

Baltic Birch plywood, this stuff is beautiful

Here are my panels cut out

I cut out a couple braces but later found it would be easier to just cut and fit the braces as I go. My first mistake and I am sure not my last :)

I tacked the pieces together with staples to get them exact on the bandsaw. If there is a better way to do this please let me know.

I dont have a plunge router so I had to use my fixed one. I made a jig out of some scrap wood to get the hole for the driver cut out. the jig worked great, I used a t-nut washer and wing nut to make it adjustable.

Here is a test cut.

I finished cutting all the panels, mounted the driver and cut my access panel. I will have more pics tomorrow of my progress.

I am picking up an EP1500 this week and just got a good deal on a Velodyne SMS-1. I can not wait to get this done and shake my house down :hyper:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well this is my last update till friday. Unfortunately I have to go back to work tomorrow and live an hour from my parents place. I will be thinking about this box all week...

Well here are the latest pics of the build.

Driver hole cut.

I cut the access panel with a circular saw and finished the ends with a jig saw, I thought it was the best way to do it and it worked well. If anyone has suggestions to make it easier please let me know.

Making sure the panels I cut were not to off.

And finally starting the box!

The PL does not seem to bad to work with. I hope I used enough for a good seal.

Well thats it folks, I am dead in the water till friday. I should have my amp, and sms-1 by then and hope to start shaking things down in a couple weeks :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the circle jig worked great. I am not a diehard woodworker, but have always had a knack for anything hands on. This build has been really fun so far and I am learning a bunch about what I am capable of. Next project will be loudspeakers and a matching center. At the present time I am using my fathers shop, but over winter plan on starting my own. I need a second job to be able to afford it hehe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have made some great progress. I plan on having this all glued up and done next saturday.

Heres more pics!

Tnuts

Reflectors

So there she is. Looking good I think. I am about to finish one last panel that is in the last set of pics, I test fit it and am ready to glue.

I plan on testing it for a few days in my theater before I finish the outside of it. I have some sketches of what I am thinking and will post then during the week to get some of your feedback on them.

Friday I will be back at my parents getting the last 3 panels on and should have it fired up on sunday :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to start off this update with some information. TOES ARE FRAGILE!!

I use these to weigh down the panels on the braces. They are very very heavy

This is what happens when you trip over a power cord laying on the floor and drop one of these heavy monsters on your big toe. this was my face :eek: but after a beer and some ice I was much better.

Ok with that said lets move on to the build. I am very close to finishing and think tonight I will have everything done except the pieces that hold on the access panel.

I will have a couple more pics at the end of the night

And remember, be good to your toes :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so close now. I decided to wait till tomorrow to put the side on so the last panel I did has time to dry.

Cutting the last braces

Test fitting them

I am planning on finishing the cab in a few weeks after I have had a chance to play with it, and build its twin brother.

I will post the finished pics tomorrow, now its time to ice the toe and pass out :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have done an awesome job! Sorry about the foot, hope it gets better!:crying:
Thanks, I am very happy with how it is turning out.

As for the toe, it sucks because I enjoy running. I would not have even cared if it had happened over the winter. I was going to be doing a 5k in a couple weeks, I guess thats out of the question. There is a good side to this tho. I can lie at the gym and skip leg days(hate doing legs) :bigsmile:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am on the home stretch. I have the last 36" panel to put on and seal this baby up for good.

My crazy weight and tension system worked well, I was worried over night it would all collapse hehe.

Final Reflectors

I cut the pieces that hold on the access panel and glued them in, i am still unsure how I will attach the panel.

This is what I am thinking atm

If anyone has a better suggestion please let me know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She is done :D Below are the test fitting pics and final bracing to hold on the last panel.

Lots of PL

My brother gave me a thumbs up, he is also a basshead. He is still a car audio fanatic, he wants one of these in his audi hehe.

I am really happy how everything lined up at the end.

So my new driver comes on Wednesday. I can not wait to fire this up. I will post my first impressions as soon as its up and running.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This has been a super fun build. Now I am thinking about my next project. I am planning on building loudspeakers and a matching center over winter.

I will probably add to this thread again in a couple weeks when I start my second THT and hopefully will be finishing these sometime in September.

Here are 2 last shots of the cab. I will have some updates I have it running and in its new home :D

removable panel :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Excellent build. How does it sound?
Tomorrow evening around 6pm EST I will finally hear it. I am waiting on a replacement driver from PE. Its killing me seeing it sit here and do nothing but look pretty :hissyfit:

This is what I should look like tomorrow night :bigsmile:

I will post my listening impressions after a night or two of playing with it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.