Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Bryan, dear forum members,

Here is a sketch of my room/mixing room.
The measures are in cm.

The walls are plastered bricks (appr. 1 cm thick plaster), the floor is laminate, the ceiling is plastered concrete (appr. 1 cm plaster),
The window is double glass, the door is massive wood.

Q1: I would like to ask you how should I treat it for mixing purposes?

Q2: What decay times are OK for mixing purposes in a studio?
I believe it depends on the frequency.
Could you gens elaborate on this issue, too?

Cheers
Stefan.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Hi Stefan

Face the window for mixing.

Treat the front 2 corners floor to ceiling with chunk style absorbers or at a minimum, 4" thick panels straddling the corners.

2"-3" thick panels directly on the front wall behind the monitors for boundary bass issues (SBIR)

2" reflection panels on the side walls

4" panels on the rear wall centered behind the mix position

Depending on room height, either 3-4" panels overhead to deal with height modes or diffusion if the ceiling is higher.

Decay time does vary across the spectrum depending on room size, room usage, etc. Other things to consider are:

Room construction
Amount and type of furniture
Number of people

In this room for this usage, I'd shoot for about 1/4 second in the 125Hz range gradually tapering down to around 140ms or so by the time you get to 4kHz. What I've described above is general treatment for specific issues and will get you close to this though some additional broadband bass control may be required.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bryan,
Thank you very much.

Should I also consider the 38% sitting rule from the front wall?

Cheers
Stefan.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Generally that's a good place to start but it's not a hard and fast rule. Usually, seated ear position ends up being best somewhere between 33 and 38%

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
If you use 4" straddling for the corners, then I'd use 3-6lb density. If doing the chunks, then 3lb is fine.

Also, once we get this phase done, if you want to potentially do some soffits of some size, a lighter density can be used once you get to about 8" thick or more.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bryan,

Thank you, :). I will come back as soon works start.
Note: I have approximately 12-14 m long soffit as well - can be installed if needed.

Stefan.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bryan,

How far should I place the speakers from each other for the start?

Important note: I do not have the Dynaudio sub anymore, and I have changed the speakers/monitor: now I have Dynaudio BM 5A compacts.
The speakers are on stands.

About the software. What should I use?

Stefan.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Use Room EQ Wizard for measurements. Free download here at The Shack.

For spacing, hard to say. You just need to play with it. In general, for nearfield monitoring, you'll want them to be as far or slightly farther apart as you are from them.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All the furniture/studio equipment is moved into the room.
Sitting position is 38 % from the front wall.
Spekaers are 1.35 m from ech other, seating is 1.35m from the speakers.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Just for a better look at what's really happening, set your bottom scale to be log, not linear.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Looking at the waterfall, something is funky around 65-100 Hz. That big blob at the cutoff of 1000ms shouldn't be there with a good measurement. Are you sure you have no electrical noise, no ambient noise, etc. bleeding into the measurement?

Bryan

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ambient noise = only my music DAW setup and the measurement PC is running. These are very quite.
Window and door are closed, and in fact there is no noise outside.
Here we have 50 Hz in electricity - I will re do the measurement, keeping on only the measurement PC + speakers.
The room is very much like a cave.
I have listened to very good records. It looks like the bass is "missing" from the records.

I will post the new measurements in my next post.

Stefan

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Bryan,
Here are the measurements.
Blue=both speakers ON
Red=left speaker only
green=right speaker only
I also post the corresponding waterfalls.

I also did averaging measurement (8x) + waterfall
Please note that in the averaged waterfall the ZOOM is different on the Y axes.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The response is actually pretty decent up to 85Hz where we have a hump. The big hump at approx 145 is the one that really concerns me.

One thing I notice is that the distance between speakers is pretty close to 1/2 of the width of the room - which means that the distance to the side walls is approx 1/4. That may or may not be part of the issue but I have suspicions. How far from the face of the speakers to the wall behind the speakers?

Bryan

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks.
Yep, your observation is very correct - I did not think about it. Indeed the distance between the speakers is pretty close to 1/2 of the width of the room (they are approx 1/4 from the side walls).

The face of the speaker(s) is 80 cm from the front wall (from the wall behind the speakers).

I can not put the speakers closer to each other, as I have a table between them. The speakers are on dedicated stands (sand filled stands).

Shall I install the soffit/panels, or...you want me to do more measurements?

Stefan.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Try moving the speakers closer to the front wall and farther apart and take a new measurement.

I'd much prefer to get the things addressed with position that we can.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 86 Posts