Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

On the back of the PB13 Ultra the subsonic filter setting is suposed to be used when plugging the ports, can this not also be used as a straight filter to avoid excursion below the subs ability meaning keeping it from reproducing anything below what you have the selector set for?
The reason I am asking is there are times in movies I have watched that there is some serious subsonic lows (below10Hz) that puts undue strain on the sub and was wondering if setting it to 10Hz would help control this.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi Tony,

Glad you started this thread as I received my PB13ultra about 3 weeks ago and have had been tweaking since. Tough room, but who doesn't have one.

You are correct in the presumption that subsonic filters provide a level of protection from over excursion. That's the simple answer. Where this gets to be a bit more murky is in finding the best combinations of 1)number of ports plugged 2)room size setting 3)subsonic filter setting and 4)SPL for a given room.

The best starting place is to tell us more about your room size and how loud you normally play your system.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like my system at reference and is more than capable of exceeding that level. My signature has a list of what I own.
My room is large 16' wide by 37' long and has a 8.5' ceiling. I have really good acoustics and I need to try REW sometime but just have not found the time. Right now I'm running the PB13 Ultra with no bungs and a crossover in the receiver set to 80Hz

·
Registered
493 Posts
Since you're not using any of the plugs and are playing at reference levels in a large room, your safe bet is to keep the subsonic filter at 20hz.

I don't play mine at reference levels, have one port plugged (15hz tune) and use the "sealed" subsonic filter selection. This give me a boost in the low frequencies. According to SVS, I would be at risk if I was playing the sub at full tilt as the subsonic filter would not limit the low frequency excursion. ....but sometimes you just have to color outside the lines. :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm like you I like to push the envelope a bit. 20Hz, that seems high would I not be better off starting at 10 and work my way up as I do have my second sub (the A/D/S) also connected and its good down to 20Hz. Maybe I should plug up one of the ports?
I've thought of lowering my crossover to 60 or even lower as my mains can go down to 31Hz.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I've thought of lowering my crossover to 60 or even lower as my mains can go down to 31Hz.
I suggest you to use REW to measure the system response with different crossovers :yes:

YPAO setup the crossover at 65Hz; so I measured the response with 65Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz and 90Hz ...what I found out is that the best response in my case was using 80Hz, so is what I'm using.

My fronts are capable to 35Hz, I also measured using them as small and large ...better response was using them as large; so that's my set up ....80Hz crossover and large fronts :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thers that REW word again :hide: It seems like alot of time is needed to get it working and some quiet time, none of it I have much of in my house.
My issue is that I really do like how things sound and I worry that once I see a REW graph it will bother me to no end if its not looking right if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
493 Posts
But it does give you a good excuse to buy more toys. :)

I have to admit, I struggled to get it running right. Once you get there, its hard to not use it. Those waterfall charts are pretty interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts