Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer VSX 921 and hooked up one sub via LFE (subwoofer out); have and extra sub that i decided to use for the rear so I used the lines in and out for it, (seemed the easiest, and when playing music the rear base would work better with lines in, I could be wrong)

I started playing movies and noticed that the rear speakers that were running through the sub were making a crackling sound in a few movies (not all) I heard it most in some music scenes in tron legacy. I thought it may be bad speakers in the rear, or the sub crosser over wasn't doing so good, so i swapped the subs around, got the same noise.

Not sure what I am missing from the puzzle, other than the fact maybe running a sub with lfe and another with line through simply should not be done? I know i can split the subwoofer line with a y cord, but would like to know if I can make the setup I have now work.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
First, welcome to HTS!!! :D

My guess is that the sub is not filtering the low frequencies out of the signal and sending a full-range signal to the rears. Most people use fairly small speakers for rears/surrounds that are not capable of reproducing very low frequencies. It could damage the speakers, so be careful!

You wrote, "the rear so I used the lines in and out for it;" are you referring to line-level (RCA) inputs/outputs or speaker level? Many subs do not filter the speaker level inputs/outputs. Some filter both speaker and line-level, but without knowing the specific subs you are using it's hard to know. :scratch:

If you could provide a list of the equipment and how it is wired we can probably sort-out the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Is the distortion coming from the sub, the rears, or both? Are the rear speakers self powered? A hook up chart might be helpful. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.