Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built two Maelstrom subs with dual passive radiators in 9 cubic foot boxes and I purchased two Velodyne SMS-1 active crossovers for these subs. The instruction manual recommends setting the crossovers at 80 Hz because it is "the THX standard". My main speakers are rated to achieve 32 Hz. I read somewhere that subs should be crossed as low as possible. Since my main speakers are rated at 32 Hz, would it be better to cross around 40 Hz or lower instead of the recommended 80 Hz? I listen to 2-channel music only, no home theater.

·
Registered
384 Posts
"Rated" is difficult to quantify. Different speaker manufacturers use different ways of measuring the lower frequency bounds. One way to handle it is with external crossovers designed so that the shape of the sub's upper frequency cutoff and the shape of the main speakers' lower frequency cutoff are compatible and don't produce a peak or dropout where they overlap.

That's often done using a line-level analog bass management system between the preamp and amp (if you use separates) or by digital signal processing in modern receivers.

In principle, the Velodyne crossovers can be used in conjunction with a spectrum analyzer. Details are available elsewhere on this forum.

Does this help at all?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Selden has some very good advice, I'll add that u keep the subs atleast 1 meter from the mains (mine sit behind) which will make for a much more seamless cross.
The lower ur crossover, the more work ur mains will have to do, try as high as 100Hz ..18 inches moves air down there effortlessly.

·
Registered
384 Posts
2gumby2,

If you haven't already read the SMS-1 manual provided by Outlaw Audio at http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/sms1guide.pdf do so.
In addition to its amusing writing style, it'll guide you through the appropriate steps needed to integrate your subs with your current main speakers.

While a higher crossover frequency will increase headroom (reduce power draw) for your amps, it'll also cause the sounds from your subs to be more localizable. This might be an issue depending on where you have to position them in the room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts