Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought the Emotiva UPA-7 amp. I previously was just using a Marantz 7300-OSE as my receiver and which I am using as a Pre\Pro. The amp has made a tremendous difference in sound quality. It is a much cleaner and crisp sound, especially for music. I like the sound I'm getting now but I am thinking of upgrading the receiver in order to take advantage of hdmi.
My question, is there an advantage of using an actual Pre\Pro over a receiver? I'm thinking hard about the new Emotiva UMC-1 or going with an Onkyo. Thanks for any input!

My gear:
Emotiva UPA-7
Marantz 7300-OSE
PS3 - blue ray only
Oppo 980
Appletv
Directv HR20
Wii
Panasonic 720P 50" (can't remember model)

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Well, getting preamp only means that you are not paying for the amps in the receiver, which you will presumably not use because you are using an external amplifier. Aside from that, they're are conceptually the same. I don't have any good examples right off hand, but I would imagine that some manufacturers use the same platform for both, and just add amplifier sections when marketing it as a "receiver".

I doubt it will make much difference sonically if you are using the preamp outputs of a receiver vs a standalone preamp to feed your power amp.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I suspect that Otto is correct. The difference between most pre/pros and receivers from the same manufacturer is the model number, price, and amp circuitry.

If you find a receiver that has the features you want at the price you want, go for it.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... I'm thinking hard about the new Emotiva UMC-1 or going with an Onkyo. Thanks for any input!
I agree with Otto and Chris ...you need your pre/pro just to be able to decode the sound formats before amplification :yes:

It will be nice to have both Emotiva products ...but also, it will be nice to have an Onkyo (or any other AVR) with autocalibration feature (I'm not sure if the Emotiva does) to start the system calibration instead of doing everything manually from scratch ...:yes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you've already got the amp, I can't see any reason to use a receiver over a pre-pro..

The UMC-1 will have the auto-eq-calibration-whateveryoucallit.. and quite a bit more..

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I don't think the UMC-1 is available yet. In fact, a quick look at the Emotiva site shows that currently they have no pre/pro's only amps and speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts