Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the internal dimensions of my box are 24" x 24" x 58", how much bracing do I need? Should I have bracing width-wise and length-wise? What if the internal dimensions of my enclosure are 24.5" x 28.5" x 49" ?

How do I figure out the volume of the Mach 5 IXL-18.4 driver? I saw their page for the MJ-18M driver, but it did not list the volume (the last time I checked).

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would use shelf bracing both for the width and lenght, leave some 8"-10" in distance between each brace and you should be good.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Windowpane style bracing (think of a window with four framed panes) where you have a solid brace going across from center-point to center-point of opposite panels is the best. Offsetting the bracing slightly so that panels are not evenly divided is also a good idea. Each sub-panel will then have a slightly different resonance.

From memory, 12" or 14" between braces is good enough for subs. The idea is to push the resonant frequency of the panel up out of the subs operating frequency. Some simulation has been done (see link below) to show that dividing a panel in one direction is all that is needed. So, for your 24x58' panel, once brace running the 58" length would be enough. Danley labs uses this technique in their horn subs, so I would think there is some merit to the approach.

In theory, a single brace at the center-point of a panel, would effectively divide a panel into 4 smaller ones, but there is some disagreement on how this plays out in reality. I believe this is one of the things discussed in the link below.

If you want to get deeper into construction techniques including bracing, this is an excellent, but very long discussion on the topic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow that is a lot of info.

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like I won't need any fancy bracing then!

What about driver volume? :D

EDIT: oops, NM, the driver volume is 0.2 cu ft

1 - 4 of 4 Posts