Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Monster Power Center 3600 mkII died a sudden death this morning. Since spending $$$ on that unit I have retired and cannot afford a comparable replacement.

I am considering just a good surge protector such as this Belkin from Home Depot - http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

What is your opinion/recommendation?

We have frequent lighting here in North Texas.

EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV
Denon AVR
Pansonic Blu-Ray Player
DirecTV HR24
DirecTV AM21N
Toshiba HD-DVD Player
Powered Subwoofer

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I personally like the Trip-Lite products much better than Belkin and can be found for very reasonable prices on line.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Tony, If you don't mind me asking, Why is the tripp-lite better than the Belkin? I have the Belkin and it works great and even removed some noise I had in my system. Is it just that they use better internal parts?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Balkins are all plastic and very much residential in nature. Trip-Lite housings are all metal and use Hospital grade plugins. I suspect the internal components are also better.
I have 6 different models of them at home one of them is at least 15 years old and still works as good as new.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
That's good to know. I will definitley look into them the next time I am in the market. I will say this though my PF60 seems to be built very well. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
This is the most recent ones I bought here
Amazon is the best price I found on it.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Nice, But I think the Belkin that I have with the display on the front that tells you what the voltage and amps are looks better in my system rack. :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
LOL so true hey, I wish my Onkyo would allow me to have the blue light on the volume knob on at all dimmer settings because I like it on but then the display is too bright.

You would like this one then from Trip-Lite

·
Registered
270 Posts
So Trip-light look to be the best replacement. The question I have is it worth fixing? What exactly is wrong with it? Odds are a capacitor or two perhaps $20 in parts or $60 fixed by a pro have you looked at that yet It may actually be better than stock after a fix. IMHO.
Jason

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So Trip-light look to be the best replacement. The question I have is it worth fixing? What exactly is wrong with it? Odds are a capacitor or two perhaps $20 in parts or $60 fixed by a pro have you looked at that yet It may actually be better than stock after a fix. IMHO.
Jason
The unit is dead, no power going through, nothing. I am unable to drive now so getting it to a qualified repair shop would be a problem. Besides that I would be concerned about the functionality after the repair. Monster doesn't even repair them any more.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments.

After considering all options I have a Panamax M4300-PM 9 Outlet Rack Mountable Power Conditioner/Surge Protector*on order.

:D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My Monster Power Center 3600 mkII died a sudden death this morning. Since spending $$$ on that unit I have retired and cannot afford a comparable replacement.

I am considering just a good surge protector such as this Belkin from Home Depot - http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

What is your opinion/recommendation?

We have frequent lighting here in North Texas.

EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV
Denon AVR
Pansonic Blu-Ray Player
DirecTV HR24
DirecTV AM21N
Toshiba HD-DVD Player
Powered Subwoofer
Might I suggest giving MONSTER tech support a call... These companies have been known to setup a replacement under certain conditions.. Even if they dont offer to replace it, the cost of repair may = the cost of the inexpensive surge... It cant hurt to call :eek:lddude:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Might I suggest giving MONSTER tech support a call... These companies have been known to setup a replacement under certain conditions.. Even if they dont offer to replace it, the cost of repair may = the cost of the inexpensive surge... It cant hurt to call :eek:lddude:
Monster would have given me a discount on the new $699 model if I could sent them a copy of my receipt. My receipt was long lost.

Posted on each forum where I sought help.:clap:

Well here I am, a new owner of a Panamax M4300-PM. Honestly, I cannot begin to join in your technical discussions due to my lack of knowledge so I'll speak from a plain Joe's point of view

All I can say is that during the years we used a Monster HT3600 MKII this device protected our AV equipment during many, many voltage spikes, surges, lighting strike and power outages. With the HT3600's demise I researched the devices on the market along with opinions from three forums. After feeling my head was about to explode I came to the conclusion that about 50% of those who offered advice preferred not to use power centers. Many surprised me by supporting UPS's with the minority liking power centers.

I was ready to go the high quality surge surpressor route until my wife reminded me how well the power center performed and (now don't throw rocks at me) to some degree improved both the audio and video. There is no way I can support my position other than tell you visitors to our home were and still are astounded by the our systems performance.

The new Panamax M4300-PM is installed, coax, telephone line included. I was surprised by the strict warranty conditions but that will be presented in a new thread. Please accept my sincere appreciation.

Louis

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I definitely share your enthusiasm for power conditioning.... though many would argue the "sonic advantages", it just is common sense to me that dirty voltage will cause an audible distortion. I think its the most underrated piece of HI FI gear on the market....not to mention the obvious protection it offers... Sad to say many an audio enthusiast think its unnecessary until they get zapped :hsd:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts