Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
reply #177 Bambino:

what the model # is for your current fan using, and what the space is for the fan holding for the cabinet?
92X92X25mm, 120X120X25mm and 120X120X38mm, which size is available? 12V or 24V?
I haven't a clue what is in it as i bought the amp used and just know that it is one noisy machine.:T

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Bambino, I do. Its about 50 CFM and whilst being very efficent because off its flow rate its too noisy. My fan is about 34 CFM which is alot quieter, means I can run 2 ohms stereo ok.

I dare anyone to try and run a 19 CFM rating fan on a 2 ohms stereo whilst playing bassotronics for longer than about 5 minutes. The amp will get extremely HOT!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
So i would assume that eliminating the fan in the amp all together and adding a strong quiet one to the rack instead wouldn't be a good idea.:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Bambino,

Surely adding a stronger fan externally will result in a much stronger noise level. I have no issues with amp heat with the standard fan but its crazy noisy. Running a 4 ohms stereo load will mean should be able to use a lower CFM rated fan than mine but I would test it first. Low frequencies on any load will draw more from the amp regardless but will have a lesser effect on the amp. Watching movies has no effect on my 2 ohms load with the fan I am running because it is not consistant.

Now running sinewaves is a different matter all together. On my ep4000 and 2 ohms load, a 10hz sinewave will get my amp hot very quick at high levels. A 4 ohms load I dont know but then you are almost half power down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
now the best way is change the design for Behringer EP2500, which don't have efficient thermal solutions on it. 80X80X25mm can reach max 72CFM @49dBA, 40CFM @ 33dBA, is that ok?

·
Registered
39 Posts
What do you think of this fan instead of the one linked in post 2?
Same make, same price, 26.1cfm @ 19db, ball bearings, 100,000 hour rating.
I know it's not in stock right now, but they say it'll ship on the 15th.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What do you think of this fan instead of the one linked in post 2?
Same make, same price, 26.1cfm @ 19db, ball bearings, 100,000 hour rating.
mr2dave,
Just curious if you bought the fan. It should work slightly better although one might not be able to detect any differences. (26.1 cfm vs. 24.0 cfm. and quieter 19db vs. 21db.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey guys, I'm wondering if someone might be able to help me with something. I tried a quick keyword search and did not find anything.

I would rather not give another person/website my information so is there an alternative place to order a suitable fan? Maybe like Newegg, EBay, or just some place that accepts PayPal? I would prefer Newegg since I have a gift certificate there, but I wasn't sure if any of those fans would work on 24V.

BTW, if I'm not yet asking enough :), it would be great to find one that can just plug straight in with a connector and won't require attaching it to the old connector.

Thanks

EDIT: I have an EP4000 I got from a friend who did the fan mod with the one below from EBay. Not sure if we just got a bad one or they are not any good, but it was great for a while and then one day it just starts spinning like its on crack or something. I have to switch the amp on/off a couple of times to get the fan to chill back out again. If it starts fine it runs fine, but if it starts all crazy it just keeps going that way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aavid-Thermalloy-80-mm-Fan-24-V-Quiet-and-High-Flow-/130473314195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e60d0c793#ht_500wt_689

·
Registered
60 Posts
So i would assume that eliminating the fan in the amp all together and adding a strong quiet one to the rack instead wouldn't be a good idea.:dontknow:
I deal with installing high temp equipment in racks at work quite often and what you say actually can work as long as you take into consideration a few things. Just moving air around the amp will help, but really is only most beneficial if you blow cold air over the unit. since installing a cooling duct to the amp is most likely out of the question we have to consider another option. Instead we need to increase airflow through the unit.

first, build a fully enclosed box for the amp and install two or three 120 mm fans on the front and back.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185056
ensure air can only enter and escape the box at these locations and can only pass through the amp. a few things you will have to deal with

1) how to power the external fans
2) how to access the amp switch and connections
3) will removing/disconnecting the internal fan enable some failure mode
4) ensure airflow through the amp is, can't think of a good word so, fluid. if not we might have to add additional cooling... umm we'll call them ports since saying drilling additional holes sounds a little harsh

Your result is an incredibly ugly box that is quiet! :) Since those 120 mm fans are much more efficient and quite you actually might have more cooling capability than the stock configuration. I actually was strongly considering this, but I will likely pick up one of the LG clones that are talked about on the AVSForum. might do it to that amp though since I read it is even louder than the EPs!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I deal with installing high temp equipment in racks at work quite often and what you say actually can work as long as you take into consideration a few things. Just moving air around the amp will help, but really is only most beneficial if you blow cold air over the unit. since installing a cooling duct to the amp is most likely out of the question we have to consider another option. Instead we need to increase airflow through the unit.

first, build a fully enclosed box for the amp and install two or three 120 mm fans on the front and back.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185056
ensure air can only enter and escape the box at these locations and can only pass through the amp. a few things you will have to deal with

1) how to power the external fans
2) how to access the amp switch and connections
3) will removing/disconnecting the internal fan enable some failure mode
4) ensure airflow through the amp is, can't think of a good word so, fluid. if not we might have to add additional cooling... umm we'll call them ports since saying drilling additional holes sounds a little harsh

Your result is an incredibly ugly box that is quiet! :) Since those 120 mm fans are much more efficient and quite you actually might have more cooling capability than the stock configuration. I actually was strongly considering this, but I will likely pick up one of the LG clones that are talked about on the AVSForum. might do it to that amp though since I read it is even louder than the EPs!
I have been considering removing the stock 80mm fan on my iNUKE 1000 and making a new top panel with a 230mm fan cut out that should be much quieter. I understand this would not work for the EP series because of the tube heatsink. The iNUKE series does not have any heatsinks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First, great forum and thanks for sharing. I am ready to perform the Fan Mod on an EP4000 and found what may be a better fan than the Digikey part # P9739-ND/FBA08A24L1A. Has any tried the P14751-ND / 3110SB-05W-B20-E00?

Reason I ask is:
Noise 19 dB(A)
Air Flow 26.1 CFM (0.739m³/min)
Price = same as P9739

Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
seriously, I've been reading this thread for like an hour----can somebody just tell me what fan to buy?? My plan is to clip the wires of the old fan and mount new fan .....thanks rich
O ya one last thing if you guys think one ep2500 is loud, try listining to 2 :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would like to buy the ball bearing fan/or ultra quiet fan....can sombody give me a part # or something. I tried a couple of part# from earlier post but could not find anything. thanks rich

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have a qsc amp - i got my fan at digi key - first you have to find out what size fan you have and what is the CFM - etc. - 24 volt -- then you can call them and ask for a quieter fan in the right size - look for something that can move alot of air also in the lowest db - get as close as you can with the air flow as the original fan -

·
Registered
333 Posts
The fan that came out of the amp is .25a the fan I was going to buy is .07a.....Is that a problem?????

·
Registered
97 Posts
i dont know what those numbers mean to be honest - i was referring to the size of the Fan itself

like a 80mm x 25mm etc. - if its a 24 volt fan - how much CFM it pushes and the loudness level in db's

thats how i matched my fan - i first made sure my new fan was 24 volt - same size so i can just swap it out - and just picked a lower db with the same amouth of CFM as the orginal or as close as you can -

my amp is very quiet now for HT use and pushes very similar amouth of CFM - never had a problem - over 3 years now -

if you can find someone with the same amp who did the swap and ask - i think there are many who done it with that amp -

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I am running a 34 CFM rated 80mm 24v fan in my EP4000 with no problems but I am running 2 ohms stereo. I had a 19 CFM rated fan originally but the amp got hot very very quickly so I had to replace it. With 4 ohms running I guess you would be ok. The stock fan in a EP4000 is around 55 CFM which is really loud. You could start off lowish and if it doesn't work out then just buy one which has a higher rated CFM rating. It takes about 5 minutes to replace them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
All I was really worried about is the .25a compared to .07a but I ordered it anyway.
Its 28cfm @ 22db so I'm hoping that will be ok. thanks rich

181 - 200 of 206 Posts