Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: Quieter fan mod for Behringer EP2500

Your mistake is better than mine. I had started the fan mod last summer and took the shroud out. Initially I was going to do the in-line resistor. After reading about it (starting playing with circuits again and know that a 24v source really prefers a 24v output), put the project aside until recently when my neighbor wanted one for his 1500. We ordered a pair, and I did the fix... but forgot where the shroud went. I think I threw it away! So now I'm shroudless, and I don't feel like going to Turin to get a different one. I reversed the flow and did some testing, but can't get the amp even a teeny bit warm, so I'm satisfied with the setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Just an update..... If you have an EP2500 - DO THIS MOD !!!

I just did and it's a world of difference.... now my HDDVD player is louder than this.

Also the fan is back in stock at Digikey... and out of stock at newark.

For a little under 20bucks with shipping etc... and 30 min of work.... can't beat it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

I did the 2 12V in series mod, and put the 'extra' fan in the cae beside the transformer. The fans seem slow compared to the single 24V, and the airflow is alot less. The air coming out now is warm, not hot, where it was almost cold with the original fan. Maybe the fan controller can't supply the power needed for the two fans? I might as well get a new 24V silent fan and be done with it.

·
Registered
306 Posts

yea, the fans are not getting enough power. although, when is it running warm? when you are pushing the amp and using allot of power or just sitting there?

24v fan is the way to go through.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

It's slightly warm sitting idle.

I haven't really pushed the amp over a period of time, so I don't know if it ever warms up more. After a period of very loud music I felt no difference. I'd feel more comfortable with a single 24v fan though, so I'll order one up soon.

·
Registered
430 Posts

I did 2, 12v fans in series, but both of them are at the end of the heat sink with air flow front to back. Butting the fans up does cause a tiny bit of cavitation because it makes the fans spin a tad faster, but the noise is still low. I also get more air flow than when having only one fan at the back of the heat sink.

It was tricky making it work, I had to re-route half of the wires that are bundled together back there up over the heat sink. The second fan fit inside the metal shroud, thus why I had to reroute wires.

You might try putting both fans at the rear of the heat sink.

·
Registered
651 Posts

I did 2, 12v fans in series, but both of them are at the end of the heat sink with air flow front to back. Butting the fans up does cause a tiny bit of cavitation because it makes the fans spin a tad faster, but the noise is still low. I also get more air flow than when having only one fan at the back of the heat sink.

It was tricky making it work, I had to re-route half of the wires that are bundled together back there up over the heat sink. The second fan fit inside the metal shroud, thus why I had to reroute wires.

You might try putting both fans at the rear of the heat sink.
im curious with this series'ed 12v fans ... please post pics looneybomber! :reading:

·
Registered
430 Posts

im curious with this series'ed 12v fans ... please post pics looneybomber! :reading:
I knew eventually someone would want pictures. I should have taken some as I was doing it. Homework is pretty heavy right now, but hopefully I can get some taken for ya. It's really pretty simple, four wires remain routed through the metal shroud, and four or five go up over the top of the heat sink (taped down flat). The fans I'm using aren't deep ones, so they fit. If you found some deep 80mm ones, they wouldn't fit.

I'll edit this post once I get pictures taken...which may be a little while from now.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

If you are using two fans in series it's a matter of wiring from the red from the plug, to the red on one fan. Then the black of the first fan to the red of the second fan. Then the black from the second fan to the black on the plug. Simple series wiring.

Code:
 PLUG   +   ------  +  Fan 1 - ------ + Fan 2 - ----
                                                                    |
           -   --------------------------------------

·
Registered
651 Posts

If you are using two fans in series it's a matter of wiring from the red from the plug, to the red on one fan. Then the black of the first fan to the red of the second fan. Then the black from the second fan to the black on the plug. Simple series wiring.

Code:
 PLUG   +   ------  +  Fan 1 - ------ + Fan 2 - ----
                                                                    |
           -   --------------------------------------
thanks, so just like a subwoofer driver. so will the amp see 24v if two 12v fans are in series?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

yes, the amp will think it's one 24V fan that draw double the current. I don't think the fan module in the EP2500 is up for that, though. Both fans spin really slow, so I get too little airflow. I'm getting a 24V proper quiet fan.

·
Registered
430 Posts

yes, the amp will think it's one 24V fan that draw double the current. I don't think the fan module in the EP2500 is up for that, though. Both fans spin really slow, so I get too little airflow. I'm getting a 24V proper quiet fan.
Actually wiring stuff in series double's the voltage, but keeps the current the same.
Wiring in parallel keeps voltage the same, but double's current.

Each of the fans I installed draw .16 amps, so 1.92watts per fan. I'll look at the stock fan when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it draws more than 4 watts, which is more than my 2 fans draw. That is because my fans are quiet fans and thus they rotate slowly to keep noise down. You can get faster fans that move more air, but they will draw more power (not a problem) and are more noisey (that's a problem to me). Something else you could do, is install a switch. In one position your stock fan will operate as normal, in the other position, a resistor will be wired in to drastically reduce fan speed and noise. You could then have a quiet "night" position and a "day time rock and roll" position for maximum cooling.

Ok, I got home and checked the fan. The stock fan is 24v, .25A = 6watts.

·
Registered
132 Posts

What about using 1X 12 volts fan and a 75 ohms resistor in series to create a voltage drop and to keep the voltage @ 12 volts to the fan? If my math is ok 12 volts/ 0.16 amp = 75 ohms and you would need 12 volts X 0.16 amps = 1.92 watts so a 5 watts resistor would be more than enough :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

I replaced the fans on 5 QSC amps and my EP2500 with 12 volt fans, but I did it a little different than I've seen in this thread. I just fed the 24 volt fan supply to a 3 pin 12 volt regulator IC and fed the 12 volt output to the fan. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Thanks to this thread, I picked up the 24v FBA08A24L1A from arrow dot com for about $19 including second day air (I was in a rush). I have less than ten posts here, so I can't post the direct link to arrow.

Installing the fan was one of the easier things I've done lately.
Results are very good. The EP2500 is not what I would consider "silent". But the fan is inaudible from more than a few feet away, or at my sitting distance. I can only hear it when I walk right past it.

I would do this mod again. And it's safer than going with a 12v fan.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Just got done with the fan mod myself. Got the one from newark that was posted earlier in the thread.

With my bad hearing I have to stick my ear right next to the front of the amp to even hear it running and I can barely hear it at that. The stock fan could be heard from my seating position about 10 feet away. Again, my hearing is not too good.

The glue can be sliced through in short order without heating it. Soldered up the new fan and all is good.

I did do something a little different than others. I used some metal foil tape (the real duct tape) and sealed off the gap between the fan shroud and heat sink. I also mounted the fan blowing out the rear so it draws air from front to back now. It has been sitting idle for about a half an hour now and the air coming out the back feels just slightly warmer than ambient. The top of the unit is stone cold except the area directly over the heat sink. That area is only slightly warm to the touch.

It just didn't make any sense at all to me having the fan blowing from the back to front, gaps in the heat sink, blowing hot air all around the inside of the amp and heat soaking all the other parts. This way the fan draws air through the front of the heat sink and blows ALL that hot air out the back.

UPDATE!

Watched a movie for a bit. The air coming out of the back of the unit is now very warm. Good indication that it is pulling a lot of heat from the heat sink. The top of the case is warm to the touch directly over the heat sink and still cool to the touch everywhere else.

I'm happy.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Coolerguys has a good selection of fans.... http://www.coolerguys.com/80.html

MECHATRONICS #A8025S12D for $4.25

• low noise design
  • Sleeve Bearing
  • 12V DC thermal protection type
  • PBT UL94V-0 frame and impeller
  • DC Brushless
SPECS:
Model - A8025S12D
Size - (80 x 80 x 25mm)
3.15 x 3.15 x 0.98 inches
Bearing options: Sleeve Bearing
Connector - 3 Pin/2 wire w/10" lead
Speed - 1500 RPM
Noise - 20 dba
Air Flow - 25 CFM

·
Registered
746 Posts

So is the newark the most commonly used 24v?
Seems easier to use a 24v than switch to a 12v.

These suckers are fairly loud, lol.

61 - 80 of 206 Posts