Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Here's another idea (from someone who is just about to order their own EP4000), what about a 12cm externally mounted 24v fan ?

I'm pretty sure you can get shroud that brings it back to 8cm, which you mount up against the back of the case where the internal fan is.

You gut an old 8cm fan or make your own extended shroud to ensure that you're sucking the air all the way through the 'tunnel'.

Larger fans tend to be always a bit quieter than a smaller fan, and also move more air than a smaller fan can.

You can also choose how you supply power to the externally mounted fan, either by through the existing fan slot then through a small hole in the shroud, or by a plugpack/wallwart, in which case you go for a 12v fan with a 9v or 12v plugpack.

Since all of this is out of reach of prying kid fingers, being at the back of your cabinet or rack, then I can't really see any safety issues.

With this idea of externally powered, you have the options of many different 12v fans, both 8cm and 12cm with a shroud, which should be a whole lot cheaper than 24v fans.

:)
Here is a pictorial of this fan mod

http://htfhome.com/2007/ep2500_mod/ep2500_mod_ENG.htm

Does it sound viable or easier or more important safer for the heat of the amp??

·
Registered
430 Posts
I couldn't find if this was discussed or not, but which of these would be better to get? Which would be quieter, etc...

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_30&products_id=102

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P9739-ND

Thanks
I have 2 of those Enermax fans in mine, wired in series since they're 12v fans. Both at the rear of the heat sink, blowing hot air out. One fan, once inside the case, does not move much air so I'm glad I bought two.

I've had my fans shutoff on me once when I was listening to an hour long bass heavy dance mix. The amp didn't get hot enough to thermally shut down, but it was still hot. I have a theory that the fans got too hot having the hot air blow across them, causing them to shut down for some reason, but since I've not been able to repeat the scenario and do tests/rule things out, I can't prove anything.

So to answer your question, I bet the Enermax will be quieter (it's real quiet), but it's also not a 24v fan. And by itself, it won't move much air.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Quieter fan mod for Behringer EP2500

I have the same exact annoying problem with my QSC rmx 2450. That amp has a real warm sound but that fan THAT FAN!!!! it drives me nuts! it is noisy and it is terrible. And it is also 24 volts. That amp as I said before looks so much like my QSC inside. the only difference inside is the boards in the QSC are blue color and bigger. I need a new fan.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I tried to order a fan from newark last week (FBA08A24L1A) and I still haven't recvd it. Looked online and found they are backordered until Jan 2010. What are some other companies I can order from that have them in stock currently??

·
Registered
10 Posts
did you try parts express? I think also Wholesale electronics INC in Mitchell South Dakota may have them as well. I was told they do yesterday cause I need one as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I looked on parts express and wholesale electronics inc.... and the only 24 v fans that I found were in the 30 decibel or higher range. Too loud. Unless I am looking in the wrong spot. Anyone else order recently from someone who has them in stock?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Okay so I ended up ordering a fan from digikey since they had them in stock. I got a model # FBA08A24L
24v. But I encountered a problem when I hooked it up. When I did a preliminary check after soldering the connections the fan worked. But after I put the shrink tube over each wire I checked it again (prior to putting the cover back on) the fan did not work. I checked all the connections and the fan does not work. So I disconnected it and reattached the original and that one works fine.
So did I get a bum fan?? or did I order the incorrect one?? The new one spins freely and does not bind. The only difference I can find is that the original one says 0.25A and the new one says 0.09A. Could that be the issue?
I shouldn't even be messing with any of this since I have h1n1 right now but I was sick of being stuck in the house for 3 days..... probably should have left it for later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread guys. I know - and old too. But I had to post to let you know because of this thread I can now let my Behringer EP1500 in the house! I installed the P9739-ND from Digi-Key following the very easy directions here.

I know why Behringer makes the fan so energetic -- they expect these amps to be used in a torturous environment - but you'd think they would market an amp with a sub letter on it like with an 'H' to let those buying it that it has a quiet fan inside so we don't need to open it up and void the warranty. Put a 'P' behind the model number and viola! its a pro amp with special high velocity cooling - with special noise effects all it's own!

Anyways - kudos to you guys who make the discoveries so people like myself can chug on without having to reinvent things.

Ya gotta love the internet. 20 years ago I'd never buy an amp like this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
G,day all. Like so many I have found the 2400 to be an excellent sub amp,yet the roar of the fan was unbearable. The cost of an suitable 'low noise' after-market fan was untenable,combined with a lack of real estate to house this and other boxes,led to an easy decision. Using a brick bolster and hammer,I knocked an opening through to an adjacent room,and housed the amp there.Problem solved! Yet,in the still of the night,I can hear the (distant) fan noise beyond a solid brick wall. Cheers, Mike.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I have 2 of those Enermax fans in mine, wired in series since they're 12v fans. Both at the rear of the heat sink, blowing hot air out. One fan, once inside the case, does not move much air so I'm glad I bought two.

I've had my fans shutoff on me once when I was listening to an hour long bass heavy dance mix. The amp didn't get hot enough to thermally shut down, but it was still hot. I have a theory that the fans got too hot having the hot air blow across them, causing them to shut down for some reason, but since I've not been able to repeat the scenario and do tests/rule things out, I can't prove anything.

So to answer your question, I bet the Enermax will be quieter (it's real quiet), but it's also not a 24v fan. And by itself, it won't move much air.
Having 2 fans in line with each other doesnt work. You need to have them side by side. When fans are in line, the front fan takes all the load while the second one is just spinning for nothing. Of course, if this was required for the electrical properties I dont see much of an issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I modded mine with a Sanyo Denki fan, model 109R0824M402
Specs
* Axial Fan
* Current Type:DC
* Supply Voltage:24VDC
* Series:petit Ace
* External Height:80mm
* External Width:80mm
* External Depth:25mm
* Fan Flow Rate:29.3CFM
* Noise Rating:23dBA
* Bearing Style:Ball
* Power Connection Type:Lead Wires
* RoHS Compliant: Yes

2 more db but 6 more cfm, pretty quiet, but still some fan noise, i will need to take a db reading close up and see how it compares, i am now contemplating the panaflo fan that everyone uses at 21 db and 23 cfm i believe?

also does anyone know the name of the plugs i need to terminate it with?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Hi guys,

Just about to do the fan mod. Got the original fan out but I am stuck on the wires. The original fan has red and black wires but my papst fan has red and blue. Do I wire the red to the red and black to the blue.

If someone could help asap I would really appreciate it. What would happen if you wire them the wrong way around.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Just fitted the new papst fan and what a difference. There's no sound at all. Day and night difference between the two fans. There is less air blowing or at least I think there is. When the amp gets hotter will the fan still blow faster to cool the amp down.

Atleast now I can leave the sub on when I am watching normal tv programs at night. :T

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just wanted to ask if it is really quiet at a distance of about 6-7 feet after the fan swap, which is where I sit. I don't have anything else with fans, so fan noise would bother me.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Hi there,

I still hear it slightly from 10 feet away but its no where near as noisy as the stock fan. I can now watch normal tv late at night on normal volumes with the sub on and not keep hearing that silly original fan.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hi guys,

Just about to do the fan mod. Got the original fan out but I am stuck on the wires. The original fan has red and black wires but my papst fan has red and blue. Do I wire the red to the red and black to the blue.

If someone could help asap I would really appreciate it. What would happen if you wire them the wrong way around.

cheers

Graham
Did you end up putting the red wire to red, and the black to the blue?

Is it just me, or are the second and third pics in the first post not showing up?

141 - 160 of 206 Posts