Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Dunno, I see all three...........

GM

Hmm. Oh well.

I just got the mod done and the amp put back together. Boy...what a difference. Now I don't hear that old fan all the time. Its practically silent. Even with my ear right up against the amp. Now I will be able to hear my music when its a low volumes :bigsmile: I also ran a 10-15hz test tone for about 30 seconds, with the sub near full excursion, so the amp was near full power also, and the fan got just a little bit louder. Not much at all. I still can't hear it, and I'm les than a yard away from the amp.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Which fan? I've an old Altec studio reference amp that's been collecting dust because of a noisy fan.

TIA,

GM

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Dylan,

I think so. All that happens is that the fan will blow in reverse. The air needs to blow from back to front. On my fan there was an arrow to show the direction of air flow which made it easier.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just completed the mod on both my EP4000's.
What an amazing difference!

It took maybe 10mins per amp.

Highly recommended! :clap:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would like to mod my EP4000, but I've seen numerous fan models, and aside from the manufacturer specs, I don't know anything about them.

These are the models I am able to purchase:

NMB P9739-ND
NMB FBA08A24L1A
EBM PAPST TYP8414L
EBM PAPST 8414NGL
SANYO DENKI 109R0824M402

I don't trust manufacturer specs (past experience with computer case fans), so I'm wondering if someone here can tell me which of the above they think is best and why?

Also, this is a little OT, but do any of those manufacturers make decent, quiet, 200mm-230mm fans, 900rpm or less?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would like to mod my EP4000, but I've seen numerous fan models, and aside from the manufacturer specs, I don't know anything about them.

These are the models I am able to purchase:

NMB P9739-ND
NMB FBA08A24L1A
EBM PAPST TYP8414L
EBM PAPST 8414NGL
SANYO DENKI 109R0824M402

I don't trust manufacturer specs (past experience with computer case fans), so I'm wondering if someone here can tell me which of the above they think is best and why?

Also, this is a little OT, but do any of those manufacturers make decent, quiet, 200mm-230mm fans, 900rpm or less?
Hello
whay not use a computer fan like this http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=9&lng=en

And put a resistor on 2w/100 ohm on power cord red to the fan so it works in 12v

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I just Opened up my tapco J2500 to see if they used the same fan since it's also a QSC RMX 2450 clone..

it uses something different

DUAL 12 v superred cha8012d fans Just a heads up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well a little late to the party but just did the fan mod on my EP2500, i have been using my sub a lot more with 2 channel music and the fan noise was getting in the way.

Used the trusty reccomended Digi-Key, part P9739-ND fan 24VDC 1.30W 80mm and it is working like a champ. Almost dead silent, thanks to all for posting info. I highly reccomend mod. :T

·
Registered
6 Posts
New guy here. I've been following this thread and want to thank those who posted many helpful information on fan mod.

I have QSC RMX850 amp but after reading about Behringer EP series being clones of QSC RMX, I thought I would post this. I recently replaced the fan with 14db 32cfm fan by Silenx. It's very quiet now and can only be heard within 2ft from the amp in a very quiet room. It's 12V rated fan so I put 110 Ohm 3w resistor in series to red wire and works fine. One thing to note is, besides the stock fan being rated 24V, it's somewhere around 40 to 50cfm rated (it definitely moves more air than my new 32cfm fan). I've searched around for quieter fans in that air volume range but they are all around 40 - 33 db noise level for 80 x 25mm size. It seems that to match the cfm of stock fan, it may be impossible to keep the fan noise down significantly.

I'm not concerned about my amp overheating since it hasn't even gotten warm for what I use (L & R speaker woofers) but I've read couple posts online about their amp overheating and shutting down after fan mod to something around 24cfm. I noticed that 24 or 19cfm fans were mentioned here number of times but one should note just in case that those are about half of stock fan's air volume capacity.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine is quiet now too :), no noise rather than 50db or so of noise that could be easily heard above the dialog. It was not a good buy if that noise was necessary but now that its gone it was a bargain.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I got the 8414 NGL and have my fingers crossed that it moves enough air. It is totally quiet. Can't tell its on from a foot away. Even my 140mm fans in the bottom of my computer case make more noise when set on low.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why did they put the filter at the front when then it just filters air that's already been through the amp? I guess its one of those mysteries of the universe.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Why did they put the filter at the front when then it just filters air that's already been through the amp? I guess its one of those mysteries of the universe.
I don't think it is being used for filter purposes - it's an visual deal so you can't see the heat sinks through the grill, I just removed mine to give better flow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello, everybody,

this is Fenny from Shenzhen, China, I've been in cooling fan industrial for five years, our factory specialized in brushless dc fan, axial ac fan and dc blower,etc. if you have any questions on cooling fan,
hope I can help you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have fitted a 120 ohm 1w resistor inline on the positive line of the original fan, first I fitted a potentiometer and upped resistance until the sound of the fan was reduced enough and made sure there was plenty of air movement still then checked the resistance of the pot and replaced with the resistor. So far it seems to work well I can't hear the fan at -35db from 1.5m away and there actually seems to be more airflow at the front of the filter?? possibly just less turbulant flow and more laminar

I am also planning to fit a mono 3.5mm jack and a relay so it can be switched from a normal receiver switch automatically.

Ash
Just a note on this, I've seen with a 120ohm resistor the fan doesn't always start up. I've tested with 100ohm it always starts up.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
hello, everybody,

this is Fenny from Shenzhen, China, I've been in cooling fan industrial for five years, our factory specialized in brushless dc fan, axial ac fan and dc blower,etc. if you have any questions on cooling fan,
hope I can help you.
Just of curiousity what if i totally unhooked the fans from my behringers and used a fan for the cabinet instead? What kind of fan would i want to use that is quieter and would adequetly cool the amps? Thanks in advance for any help.:T

·
Registered
11 Posts
reply #177 Bambino:

what the model # is for your current fan using, and what the space is for the fan holding for the cabinet?
92X92X25mm, 120X120X25mm and 120X120X38mm, which size is available? 12V or 24V?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I think the fan in the Behringer units is the smaller of the sizes there (92 x92 x25). I know its a 24v fan and its pretty loud and shifts a fair amount of air. If its being replaced with a different fan entirely though, a large quieter one thats placed on the rear of a unit that encloses the amplifier, wouldnt you just be able to use any fan we wanted as long as it moves sufficient air.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts