Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this is very strange, and its getting annoying. When i turn my subs on, and for example i am watching a movie, i get a radio station thru my subs. like i can hear all the low notes of whatever station its playing and stuff, and its right at a volume level that it gets annoying real fast.

my subs are home made, they are two 15's run off of Dayton 240 watt plate amps. It did this once before but i messed around with the power cords with different adapters and it went away for about 6 months until i started noticing it a couple weeks ago. I tried a ground loop isolator the first time, and it amplified the sound even more, so that went back to the store lol. Frankly, i am stumped, and i do not know what to do, but it is really bothering me now. please help me!!!! :hissyfit:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let me guess, Rotel preamp? (yeah, I'm bitter.)

How is your airflow over your source? Heat can do crazy things.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my receiver is a yamaha, its out in the open pretty much, i just have a little vcr on top of it but thats it. i just dont get why it wouldnt do it for so long and then come back all of a sudden.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is it the same station that is on the tuner in the AVR when you go to tuner or is it another?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, its a different station. it does it every once in a while on my guitar amp too, which is in a different room. But the outlets for both rooms run off the same breaker too. im clueless lol

·
Registered
493 Posts
Move the VCR and see if that takes care of it. I'm thinking that you're getting some cable music from the VCR leaking into your system.

What's crazy is that your guitar amp is doing it too.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Hmm, thought I heard this in my system when I was tinkering with sub parts. I have a sub preamp out going through the attic to my sub (long run). I was tinkering with a plateamp (Foster) and driver, and thought I heard a different station undertone when I was listening to another FM station- then switched to another sub (an svs that uses a plate amp) and didn't hear it...spooky. Perhaps I'll switch them around and try it again to see what happens?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey my ART "clean"box plays FM radio. I think its all about the grounds and I know with that thing it runs off a 2 prong ac adapter so theres not much luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O.K., my toaster just started playing music. What's going on? :bigsmile:
hahaha :rofl2:

lol, anyways. i was messing around with cables last night. behind my receiver i have a set of rca's coming out into butt connectors to connect it to my longer cables, well i was wiggling the connectors around and it would stop all of a sudden, so i replaced the whole thing with a nice 40 footer so there are no more connectors and that seems to have done the trick!! finally! i also thought it was because of my two prong outlet, so i switched that out for a 3 prong, and the problem continued. but o well.

the main reason this is happening i think, is because my house is right across the road from a huge field thats got several radio towers in it. so im sure that isnt helping me haha. but atleast i got this one resolved now. I just built my second 15" sub this weekend and i wanted to hear it with the other one!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use an ART 351 for sub EQ. At times I will have a similar problem. It does not matter if the ground is lifted or not. If I bypass the ART 351 it never happens. Moving the wires around into and out of the ART 351 EQ breaks the signal and it stops. I also think the signal from the radio station as well as the weather (ambient humidity) changes the effect. It is frustrating when it happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts