Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was doing some test listening this morning when all of a sudden I started hearing what looked like radio communication in my left speaker, only:rubeyes:. It was a voice and the message was distorted but still readable.
It went on for 10-15s then stopped.
Don't know whether it stopped because I unplugged the aerial+power plug from my cable box ( anyway the only possible link to my chain would have been cable box via hdmi into the Pani which gets a second hdmi input from the standby OPPO which is connected to the preamp active at the time).

Has anybody seen/heard/had something similar.
I cannot be sure there wasn't a police car patrolling outside or my neighbour who has a huge aerial in his garden and probably is a passionate of radio communication.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most likely it was your neighbor. Any type of shortwave transmitter can talk over any audio setup usually. The same goes for any radio transmitter. If there is enough power it can make things happen inside your system that have nothing to do with HDMI or whatever else you have connected. I once had to deal with a radio station transmitter that was playing music over a digital phone system. And I don't mean music on hold, I mean music on everything all the time. We solved it by demanding that the station adjust its transmission plane to stop smashing us.

If it continues talk to your neighbor and do some testing. Have things set up so that if you hear it you can call him immediately to see what he is doing. It could be that it only happens when he is on a specific frequency. If so he might be able to avoid that frequency or he can help you set up some shielding. If he is a HAM operator he will understand all of this.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I had a friend who lived near Sydney airport who made some tapes to play in his car.
Unfortunately the radar left a "Beep, Beep" continually through the whole tape. The odd thing is he didn't get it through his speakers during normal listening of any source.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for sharing these experiences with me.
I will monitor the occurrences and talk to my neighbour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts