Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Rca HD50LPW62A that I received from a friend of mine. When I got it all I had was sound coming out of it and no picture. Well I preceded to buy a lamp for it and that didn't work. So I went to buy a ballast and that finally got it to work. Well after a couple of days of watching tv the color wheel
started to squealing like a pig getting ready to be butchered! I then went into the tv and got the color wheel out and got it to stop squealing by using KROIL and cleaning it out on the inside. Well after that and getting it back in the housing the lamp wouldn't fire when the color wheel started to spin. It went like this.

1) I cleaned the color wheel and left it outside of the housing to make sure the color wheel would spin freely.

2) Plug the tv in and after the fans started the color wheel would spin.

3) But after the color wheel started to spin the lamp should come on but it did not!

4) Now granted the lamp did come on before it just baffled me when it didn't.

5) Since it didn't I grabbed my spotlight that I use for working on my car with and shined it where the color wheel sits and low and behold the lamp came on.

6) All the time the color wheel is spinning. It would go out every once and awhile but for the most part it would spin.

7)Now once I remove the spotlight away from the housing where the color wheel sits, the lamp goes out and the color wheel stops spinning.

Does anyone know what is going on with the lamp or why its not firing on its own? Is there something I need to look at besides something with the lamp or the ballast because seem to work. It just seems like there is something else wrong here. So if anyone has any ideas please shoot them at me because I would to get my tv back! And Thank You for looking at my post in advance!

This is what is happening now.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The sequence for starting in a DLP is pretty much the same for all of them, since TI defines the basics of the technlology. Once the color wheel spins up, the light engine sends a lamp enable to the ballast, then the lamp can fire, if there is supply and the ballast is operating properly.

Make sure that any switches on the covers are closed. Verify your connections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lcaillo, Thank You for the prior help you have giving me! I have one more question though! I have replaced the color wheel in this tv because of squealing! Now that I have a brand new color wheel the tv comes on but when I do a Channel Search or just let the tv sit there it cuts off and comes back on after 2 or 3 minutes of being off and goes back to doing what it was doing. Do you have any idea what it is doing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be a little more specific!
1) I turn on the tv.
2) I go into menu and select Channel Search.
3) It starts to channel search.
4) While in the middle of channel searching the color wheel speeds up and then the lamp goes out!
5) After a few minutes the lamp comes back on.
6) It goes back to the place it was before it cuts off.

Do you have any idea what is causing this?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Does the set work normally when you are watching it and not trying to scan channels?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What happens exactly, when you turn it on to watch TV? What do the LEDs do, the color wheel, the lamp, any sounds, ect, and in what order and timing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I just discovered is that right before the tv goes out the color wheel speeds up then the lamp goes out and of course the tv goes black. But other than that everything comes on like it is supposed to. There are no LED reads that the tv is giving or anything.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sounds like the color wheel servo is losing control, which will shut down the lamp. I'd be getting into the set and making closer observations about what that CW is doing and monitoring the lamp enable line from the Light Engine to the ballast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts