Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an RCA HD52W59 for 4 years now. I've been running the video using an HDMI to DVI cable, and have always had issues with 1080 displaying larger than the screen. (I.E. the very left side is cut off) Its never really bothered me till this weekend when I moved to AT&T U-verse and the menu guide makes this cut-off painfully obvious.

Did some goggling and found out about the service menu. I made some changes to the geometry and this has fixed the left side cut-off. However, now every time we power on the tv, it goes into the "Welcome" screen.

I've gone back into the service menu and made sure that Welcome screen is unchecked. Does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, no. Once you've completed the Welcome screen, its not suppose to be available to you again. The only place to enable after the first time, is within the service menu.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried that, didn't make a difference.

I called RCA and got the name of their local authorized repair center. Called and made an appoitment to have someone come look at it. One of their techs called me back to ask some questions. He seems to think that the small signal board has gone bad. Does this sound right? Also wanted $550 for parts.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If there is nothing else wrong, it sounds like a bad EEPROM or the write enable is not functioning. Can you get other parameters to work? You said you corrected the geometry. Can you still get that to change and see the effect and does it remain when you power down? Does the servicer use the Chipper Checker? If not, or if they have it and don't know how to use it go to someone who does. It is problably a matter of getting the access to the correct parameter and storing it. You have to have the right interface and version for this set. I would want to try this before jumping to replacing boards. It is very difficult to get the right version of many of the RCA boards for this chassis series. I would not be confident in being able to do so, particularly since RCA really no longer exists as we once knew it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. Based on something else I've seen, I'm thinking that its the EEPROM as well. It is not storing the geometry changes either.

I'm going to call other tv service places in the phone book tomorrow. Do I want to specifically ask them if they have a Chipper Checker that they can use to test the EEPROM with?

Thanks for you help!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Do you have the service manual? I do not recall specifically for your set, but sometimes there is a procedure to write the data before leaving the service mode. If everything is working normally except the data is not being saved it is usually a procedural issue. An EEPROM that has intact data that will not allow a write usually has other issues as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have the service manual.

I went to the service menu again this morning, and found a "Store" check box under geometry that I could check. I made the desired changes within geometry, checked the "Store" box, and then exited to the tv. Turned it off, waited a few minutes, and then back on. It correctly remembered the geometry changes.

I didn't have time to completely unplug the tv, and see if that made any difference.

The "Welcome" screen option is under features within the service menu, but it doesn't have a "store" option at all.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would refer to the service documentation to verify the procedure, if any, for dealing with that parameter. It sounds like the set is working normally other than this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like from past posts that I should just be able to call Thompson and ask for the service manual for my exact model. Is this still the case? (There site looks like it was updated and doesn't seem to offer the same information.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts