Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pulled an older 5.1 RCA receiver model RT2250 off the shelf (10+ years storage from friend), with the intention of setting it up for my father-in-law. He's in his 80s (his wife also) and they're struggling to understand the factory speakers in their TV.

Anyway, I know it's not a fancy unit, but for the intended purpose, should work quite well.

My question to anyone who has run this unit in the past: the "main" heatsink runs along the front side of the unit, and stays nicely cool. However, there is a heatsink in the middle of the main PCB near the power supply that runs fairly warm. I've added a nice black finned heatsink with proper grease and support, as well as re-flowed the solder as needed (which about half of the transistors did in fact need).

I know those transistors are bound to be running cooler then they were, but there is still a nice bit of heat generated, and I'm curious as to whether this is a normal situation, or if it should be running cool, and I'm not addressing the actual issue.

I currently have it set up on the coffee table, and have run it many hours each day for a week - it's running just fine (as it was before adding heatsinks)

Thoughts and experiences?

Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What speakers are you using with the receiver? do you know the ohms rating on them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Audio Source LS 300 8 ohm for fronts, and I've had a Bose 141 in the center position.
Sony 6 ohm passive sub.

Receiver calls for 6 ohm min for all but the sub, which calls for 3 ohm min.

Now, interesting the way Bose specs their 141: "Compatible with amplifiers and receivers rated 10 to 80 watts per channel; rated 4-8 ohms"
Which means exactly what? That the receiver should be 4 ohm capable?

So I've just switched the Bose out for a cheap Panasonic 8 ohm from the "test speaker" pile - don't detect any difference in heat generated so far (10 min running).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And as far as "heat", it no longer smells like hot electronics as before the addition of sinks, and I "test" the heat by placing my face close down to the top.
It's warm, producing heat, but it's not a "room heater" by any means (as I've read folks describe their Onkyos)...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I would not worry about it, some heat is very normal for an amp to produce particularly A/B switching amps that are normally used.
But yes, if that Bose is 4ohm it would be putting a bigger load on the internal amps of the receiver. If its not rated to drive that simply dont push it too hard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well alrighty-then - a second opinion is always nice.
I'll keep running it as our TV sound for a week, and if all is well, then well enough :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts