Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lcailo:

Please help! My television recently went out but I have volume and can still switch through all the channels. I have a line that looks like something from Star Trek "beam me up scottie!" If you didn't look at the TV you would not know that there is no picture. Anyway, between the line I can see color pixels, it really looks like the picture just went from being vertical to horizontal if that makes sense. It is an older television but it has been looked after and I want to fix it! Do you have any suggestions?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your post has been moved to the RCA forum to maintain forum organization and to make information easier to find.

IIRC, that model is a CTC169 chassis, a rather old set. These have probably a dozen different failures that I have seen that cause vertical collapse. There is no simple symptom-repair relationship that is very common that I can relate. Leaky caps, open caps, open resistors, bad diodes, bad transistors...these just need old fashioned get out the schematic and scope, trace the circuit troubleshooting. Not a good DIY project unless you have some TV repair skills and equipment. There are also several other common failure areas that I would be looking to do in these as preventative steps at this age. Several areas where there are bad caps and other issues. This could be a tough project if you don't know this chassis quite well, or even if you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lcaillo! You are so smart! Anyway, that sounds like a project and a half, not sure if I'm up to it! I might just put it to one side for now and work on it in my spare time. It's a beautiful 27" television and I don't want to get rid of it. Do you know where I can locate the repair book for that model? Also, is it possible to get the parts for that type of chassis CTC 169.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts