Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if you can use RCA to XLR adaptors if your a AVR has RCA'S and the amp has XLR's, is there a down side or anything to look out for as as the right number of pins?:eek:

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Oh, and the downside is that the signal is now unbalanced, so the common noise rejection that makes XLR connections a good choice is bypassed.

In my case, I had the opposite and needed RCA in to the amp with XLR out from the parametric EQ.

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
I can't say as I can't A/B test mine. I know pro gear works at a higher signal level than consumer gear, and many pro xlr devices have a switch to set the voltage output range.

As to gear that auto-senses unbalanced connections . . . I guess that would depend on how it handles that situation. It may only be half signal level, since the two legs are usually subtracted on the 3 pin version. The output stage may compensate for this when it realizes there is no load on the - pin. I honestly don't know and it may vary from unit to unit.

I'm curious though. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what i'm curious about is signal loss. I would like to use my Denon 3808 LFE out to send signal to a behringer 4000 to power my subs and just not sure on the correct method to hook it up being that the behringer has XLR inputs. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same issue going from a Pioneer SC-27 RCA preout to a Artison RCC-600 amplifier. with unbalanced (2 RCA) and a balanced XLR. I spoke with the mfg and the recommendation was to use a Y-adapter on the RCA to the unbalanced 2 RCA jacks. So that's the direction I took!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did it work out ok? No power loss? And it seems to be working fine that way? I am just curious cause i've heard talk about the voltage from the amp preouts not having enough voltage for the pro amp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts