Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with th RE Audio xxx 18 sub? I'm intrested in how they perform.And what kind od enclosure they work best in.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yep. They perform quite well, require huge amounts of power and they like large enclosures, but that depends on what size driver you are looking at using. Sealed is a lot easier build and implementation for them. Ported is difficult to pull off right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw your post on your stuff this morning.Sorry bout that i,m always short on time and dont get to look on here much.I was thinking of doing one 18 like you have for now in a sealed.Space is not a problem what size enclosure should I build to maximize performance?Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Assuming that we are talking about the big 80lb 06 model. I put all of mine in 270L or about 9 cu ft and then stuffed the enclosure with poly fill pillows. 23.5x23.5x37 is roughly how big. A 26 or 27" cube would work well. Get a big amp. An EP2500 would be ok but something like a QSC PLX3602 or big Marathon would be better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Ricci, thats the one I'm talking about. I guess I will get this party started.Any advice on the best place to pick one up at?Cant wait to shake the foundation of my new theater.LOL
BTW Ricci,noticed you play music.My lifelong friend runs Doo *** if you ever need a deal on something.Thanks

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I just noticed that you are from Louie too. Cool. I rented my second drumset for so long that I paid it off and that was from Doo ***. Back in like 96. I haven't been in there in years.

I bought my drivers off of Ebay. Either MobileSoundWorks or Woofersetc has them for $850 shipped. Make sure you get the D2 voice coil driver. That's about the best deal I've seen lately on the 18". Shop around for a pro amp in the classifieds on Prosoundweb or similar. A QSC PLX3602 or older PLX3402 would be just about a perfect match. Sometimes you get lucky and find one used for about $600. There are plenty of other amps as well.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
I bought my drivers off of Ebay. Either MobileSoundWorks or Woofersetc has them for $850 shipped. Make sure you get the D2 voice coil driver. That's about the best deal I've seen lately on the 18".
:-O I guess it didn't sink in you got them all that cheap! It's engraved in my head that they're about 1200 new... were they used?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
All of them were new except one which was used and I got it for about $670 shipped if I remember right. I ended up needing to recone that one though. It had a coil misalignment. The rest were anywhere from $700-$850.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
I haven't had a chance to model yet, but what would you say has more total clean displacement, XXX or 21"? I know Xmax(2)xSd the XXX has more, but Xmech(2)xSd the MX... I'm guessing I'd be equally happy with either?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts