Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be an easy one for most of you... .I think I got it.. .but want to get an opinion on a set up for my home surround set up...

I have an older Onkyo Surround system that I want to wire up in our Bonus room... It does not have HDMI connections (yes, it's old) Currently it is not being used. I have and use a Nvidia Shield TV pro that I have set up with my LG 55" TV, I just take the HDMI out of the Shield to an HDMI on the back of the TV and, I just use the TV local channels from the TV by changing inputs to TV. I use PLEX almost exclusively that is connected to a few NAS devices, and I've changed all my CD library to FLAC and any DVD's to .mkv along with other content I've acquired.

So, since there is No HDMI on my ONKYO I was just thinning of taking the Optical Audio out of the TV and inserting it in the Onkyo and using the Onkyo for Surround. It seems the easiest and with out a HDMI out to the Onkyo it's the onlly way I can think of doing it.... I have a powered Sub (MK VX7 with sat speakers) which I will take out of the back of the Onkyo and 5 speakers set up now.

My Onkyo is a TX-SR602/602E if anyone is interested in seeing the specs, inputs and outputs.

How does that set up sound to you folks?

·
Registered
DIY would be the theme here. Love the dedicated light controlled theater room.
137 Posts
I did this same setup in the living room / family room. HDMI to the 4K TV and then fiber out to an inexpensive Pioneer receiver. The living room is setup for 5.2.0 and I usually watch things there in EXT STEREO mode so all speakers get everything not cut out be the receiver crossover setup. Works like a champ.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did this same setup in the living room / family room. HDMI to the 4K TV and then fiber out to an inexpensive Pioneer receiver. The living room is setup for 5.2.0 and I usually watch things there in EXT STEREO mode so all speakers get everything not cut out be the receiver crossover setup. Works like a champ.

Dave
Thanks, This is upstairs in my bonus room so it' doesn't get used that much... but since I already have the Sub (bought the hook up cable Rca to LEFT and Right in on the sub from Onkyo pre out. I'll get one of my optical cables out and connect the TV to the Onkyo... I just didn't want to have to buy a new receiver ... the **** thing although old is brand new!

But saying that I use to have a pioneer small AV amp down stairs with a couple of speakers, HDMI inputs and I could run audio... but now I can't find much under $400 to replace it... any suggestions?

·
Registered
DIY would be the theme here. Love the dedicated light controlled theater room.
137 Posts
but now I can't find much under $400 to replace it... any suggestions?
Craigslist / FaceBook Marketplace and a little bit of patience. My moms old pioneer finally gave up the ghost after a decade plus. I started hunting for something I knew she could use and that I would want... ummm.. when it becomes available !! I got her an integra dtr 40.2. The thing was like 1200 msrp 10 years ago and I got it with original remote for $75. Added on some JBL E80's for $150 ( also from FBM ). I ran those bi-amped off the integra and couldn't believe how good the sound was. As long as it all holds up it will be my garage system someday. Keep looking and you will find not just deals but really great deals. Throw enough low ball cash pick up offers out and eventually someone says yes. Good luck !!

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craigslist / FaceBook Marketplace and a little bit of patience. My moms old pioneer finally gave up the ghost after a decade plus. I started hunting for something I knew she could use and that I would want... ummm.. when it becomes available !! I got her an integra dtr 40.2. The thing was like 1200 msrp 10 years ago and I got it with original remote for $75. Added on some JBL E80's for $150 ( also from FBM ). I ran those bi-amped off the integra and couldn't believe how good the sound was. As long as it all holds up it will be my garage system someday. Keep looking and you will find not just deals but really great deals. Throw enough low ball cash pick up offers out and eventually someone says yes. Good luck !!

Dave
Sounds like your a good Son...Lol, good for you and your right, you will probably end up with it... I'll start to keep my eye on both places... thanks for the tip... What is frustrating I don't think the unit I had is that bad off... but to have anyone take it and check it out is $100... just not worth it anymore..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts