Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have to recone/repair an Eclipse 12" sub with a mutilated coil, and an Alpine Type S 10" DVC with a blown tinsel lead.

Both subs have a single piece cone... how to I keep the coil aligned, especially when the spider was cut unevenly (both)? I'll try to epoxy the rest of the spider before putting the whole cone/coil/suspension assembly together before I finally put it back on the basket, but, how do I properly align a single piece cone sub?

--------------------------------------------------------​

And I have another problem. I have a JL w0 10" (the newest model), and got it for cheap ($20). I brought it home, and it made a slight buzzing noise on low volume. When I turned it up, it went away (or it was nicely masked). Sounded like a wire or two was loose on the coil. Still perfectly usable and very nice sounding. A little epoxy will fix right up, right?

Wrong. I opened up the driver to find nothing wrong with the coil. I "fixed" it with epoxy, and let it set overnight. I plugged it back in.

PLPRLPRLRPLRPLRPLPRPLPLR!!!!!

It sounds close to a square wave, even though the coil and everything is aligned. No coil scratch either, which is strange.

I killed a perfectly good 10" subwoofer, before I ever put it in a box! What do I do with it? I have a half working subwoofer that I'll never use. It has a nice coil, moves a lot, and still has linear movement. There's just a loud mysterious noise coming from the inside, and I'll probably do more damage than good if I try to fix it again. And I don't have it in me to put a sub in the dump when it has a working coil.

--------------------------------------------------------​

So, how do I re-cone an Eclipse? They don't have re-cones for Eclipse's lower end, not to mention a guy at a stereo shop said that Eclipse is out of business.

I was thinking about carefully making a voice coil former out of aluminum from a soda can and then using epoxy to hold it together and to keep the coil on there. The epoxy I have can handle 300 °F, is that good enough?

And I was thinking about playing a low volume tone to help align the coil while the epoxy dries on the Alpine.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

However, the Alpine's coil won't come off of the cone, and there is no dust cap to remove because it's a single piece cone. Would it be a bad idea to cut through the cone itself?

As for the JL w0, it has messy epoxy all over the surrounds... I'd have to mutilate it further if I wanted to do anything with it because I already put it back together (poorly). Is there anything I could use to remove the epoxy?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the JL, there's just too many jagged cuts through the surround. There's no way I could piece it together and retain the T/S parameters. The epoxy dramatically stiffened the suspension, both the spider and the surround. Unless I find get ahold of raw speaker parts, it's gone. Luckily, it's the new 2011 model, so I got a new one for $70 :).

As for the Alpine, I was successful in gettin the former off the cone. There was a plastic piece cconnecting the former to the cone, and I can't cut through that. But the backside of the Alpine's cone was paper, so I just had to use a letter opener, and some finger-grease (a pun on elbow grease).

Once I get some more epoxy, I'll begin the recone the Alpine.

Thanks for the input, I'm off to get the epoxy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts