Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
This site might help you with re-conning the sub. To align the voice coil you should use shims to keep an equal space between the voice coil former and the magnet. Since your spiders are cut unevenly make sure that they won't pull the voice coil former off center after you glue it. Keeping everything aligned starts from getting the spider and voice coil former centered and then you center the cone and surround off of that.
As for your JL w0 you probably need to just inspect it very closely to make sure there are no defects at all on it. For re-coning the Eclipse sub I would try to find parts for another speaker that match what you need for your application.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For the Alpine sub I wouldn't cut through the cone before exhausting all other resources. I don't have much experience with the single-piece cones, but I would venture to guess that the voice coil former is glued to the opposite side of the cone. If that is true, you could try to cut the former from the cone. If you can't find anything else that would work and you want to cut through the cone, cut the cone so the former will fit in the hole. Then you can just but a dust cap to cover it when you are done.
As for shimming the voice coil former, you can shim it on the inside when you are just attaching it and the spider, but if you don't cut into the cone you can try to shim it from the outside of the former when attaching the cone. To shim from the outside I would keep the shims inside the former and then find something that will work on the outside without forcing. This way the former won't move from it's position you originally set by shimming on the inside. Then just glue the cone and surround on. In not the best writer so if this seems confusing just ask.
For removing the epoxy from the JL w0 I have heard that you can heat it up to around 90°C and it will become pliable, which probably won't work for a speaker, also if you freeze it, it can become brittle and shatter when struck. One other option is using acid, but that may damage the surround. You can always try just cutting it away though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts