Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Hello, new to the site....I have a 51mp392h/17 magnavox that has some convergence problems. The red and green are bent or not converging at the top corners and bottom left side, this is usually more visible when text are on the screen...

Now for the bad part, I ordered stk392-120 from MCMelectronics, who also assured they were sanyo originals...I replaced the "bad" Ic's with the new ones....the set powered up, I left it on maybe 5 minutes, turned it off then on again...no pic and no sound....followed by a chirping at the rear of the set...they are sending another set of Ic's, but I was wondering if I could upgrade to a stk394-160...I know the -120's are 4amps...and the -160's are of hitachi brand....could they work in a phillips magnavox?

Update...Put the "bad" Ic's back in the set, powered right up, no problems, except the one I began with! lol. Still would like to update to stk394-160. What do you think Lcaillo??

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

Your post was moved to a new thread in the proper forum to keep the forums better organized and information easier to find.

Personally, I do not buy these kinds of parts from MCM. Over the years I have heard too many stories of bad STKs from them, and got one set myself a few years back. They may think they are selling original parts and may be, as otherwise they have been OK as a supplier. What I think happens is that there are batches of second rate parts that were allowed into the market and it is very hard to know the exact path that the parts take. Some of the vendors have had a much better record of supplying first quality parts, such as Acme, B&D, Electronica (NOT NOT NOT Electronix), and Bursma/Excel. They apparently have much more reliable vendors with more direct connections to Sanyo.

As for using the 394-160, we do not know whether it is rated for 4 amps or not. Sanyo has never released the datasheet because the part was made specifically for Hitachi. I have used them in a couple of Philips sets and had no problem, but others have said that they do not work. It may vary with the model. I generally just use the 392-120.

In your case, I would be looking carefully for bad solder connections and be very carefull when installing the chips. While it is certainly possible to get a bad one, it is FAR more likely to bridge a joint or miss something on installation. Just go ahead and order your parts from a better vendor if the replacements do not work. Follow the info in the convergence thread carefully for heat sinking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you for the prompt response. I did check my soldering very thoroughly and cleaned each point....I was kinda concerned when I got the chips because the printing on the chip looked like they could have been made in china. The stk394-160 seemed like a good chip to try simply because they put out less heat. Mcm is sending some other chips but I took your advice and ordered two more from acme.

Seems not quite above board to advertise sanyo chips(in the catalog) but when the consumer gets them they last all of 5 minutes in my set? I dont think the gentleman who was questioning your loyalty gets it....Alot of "consumers" have been burned simply by accepting the professional moniker. Thankyou for your efforts and information. Also if you have a couple of stk392-120's lying around.....lol

·
Registered
91 Posts

I would recommend you put in the acme chips when you do a swap. I had no failure with STK392-150 and STK392-570 from Acme so far.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

There IS a reason that many professionals will not buy their chips from more than a few vendors, including Acme. Glenn at Acme is diligent about the quality of his parts and where he gets them. He used to work for another well known supplier that has been discussed and knows the industry better than most. He monitors the tech lists and communicates with the shops all the time, offering info and getting feedback from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts