Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Icaillo,

I have Toshiba TV 43AX60A, chassis N0NSP.

The canvergence chips were STK392-110. Your suggestions were to buy the same or upgrade to 150.
I've bought STK394-160E (supplier was out of 150). Also I used the heat sink compound.
I got the following picture in the service mode after replacing the both chips (see image).
I could not move any color in vertical (nothing happen when I press button 2 and 8) I can move all color in horizontal only. I could not find any information about reseting convergence.
Any suggestions please.
Should I buy the STK392-110? The soldering and resistors look OK.

Thank you.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

Your post was moved to the Toshiba forum to maintain forum organization.

These sets typically have lots of marginal solder joints. I would go over the board again. You could have a bad convergence generator. I have a similar set in my shop right now with a bad one. The only way to be sure is to monitor the waveforms coming out of the convergence generator and see if they change when you adjust. You need a scope to do so.

It is also possible that the 394-160 is not a good sub in this set. I have heard of muting circuit issues on some sets, though I have not seen it myself. I would go over the work again, make sure you have power supplies at both chips, put in the original part (from a reliable vendor, you did not mention where you bought them), and reread the first ten posts of the convergence repair thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Icaillo,

Thank you for quick reply. I checked my soldering one more time. It is fine, no joints. All resistors are fine. But my previous picture was much better then I got after replacing IC's. It was slightly out of blue which I could not adjust. I do not have a scope and I can not check generator.
What your suggestion in this situation? To replace 394-160 on 392-150. By the way I bought the new chips at Encompass web site for $38.40 each.

Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Icaillo,

What is your suggestion to replace 394-160 392-150 or 392-110?
What is the difference between 392-110 and 392-150?

Thank you.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

The STK392-110 can almost always be replaced with the 392-150. They are essentially the same from a functional standpoint, but the -150 seems to be preferred for reliability. I do not recommend using the STK394-160 to replace anything, except when you have someone with specific experience on YOUR EXACT MODEL doing so. It might work, or it might not.

When you have problems, you are best advised to put the same part in that came out. Just be sure that you buy it from a quality supplier like Acme or B&D, or under the Toshiba part number from an authorized distributor. You need to eliminate variables. Do not assume anything.

Before I did anything else I would verify the power supplies to each chip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm not so technical savvy.
How can I verify the power supplies to each chip?
Or can you point me please where I can find this information.

Thank you.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

Use a meter and measure the voltage. The pins are identified in the diagrams for the chips or in the schematic for the set.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Icaillo,

I replaced 394-160 on 392-150 and the problem dissapear. Thank you very much for your help and this forum.
I just have one question for you. Where can I found the original settings and adjusting for my tv. Service manual shows just several of them (like HIT, VSC, WID, LIN, PARA and TRAP), but I need CNR and STRH (which I think Start Position Horizontal) and what is the same setting for vertical?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Icaillo,

I replaced 394-160 on 392-150 and the problem dissapear. Thank you very much for your help and this forum.
I just have one question for you. Where can I found the original settings and adjusting for my tv. Service manual shows just several of them (like HIT, VSC, WID, LIN, PARA and TRAP), but I need CNR and STRH (which I think Start Position Horizontal) and what is the same setting for vertical?
What set do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sorry, I don't understand the question.
What do you mean?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hello,

One more question:
How can I get the designer mode?

·
Registered
91 Posts

I think you meant service mode. Get a service manual and follow the instructions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I know how to get the service mode, but I don't know the default settings.
Some websites talk about designer mode where all these settings are default. Any idea?
Where can I found the default settings for my model or how can I start to adjust?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

There are usually not default settings. If there are they will be in tehservice manual. You adjust the settings to get a proper image.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hello Icaillo,
I have some problem to adjust the image. I perfectly made the center of the screen, but when I tried to adjust the corners the lines became the wave.
If there are no default settings how can I properly adjust image? May be there is some sort of pallete or standard image which I can load through dvd player? I could not find any information about adjustment which will be written as good as your explanation about "CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs". Can you please point me to any information about adjusting the image.
Thank you.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

Post an image of your crosshatch pattern and describe exactly what you are adjusting to correct it. You are being too vague for me to give you any specific advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

When I try to adjust areas in red circles all other lines become the waves.

Thank you.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

What are you adjusting and what does "all other lines become the waves" mean? If you want specific help you have to give all of the information.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts