Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: FI SP4 18 winisd file

Hi all,

Every time I try and create a winisd file for the FI SP4 18 dual 2 ohm I get errors.

Has anyone managed to successfully get this done.

If so could you upload here please.

regards

Graham

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Re: FI SP4 18 winisd file

Here ya go. Make sure it looks ok. All the parameters worked for me just fine.I cant seem to upload any files yet. BRB

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

Firefox would not let me add the file. IE did so here ya go. Thats one powerful sub.!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I get the same error on that file like I do on my one which says "driver data fails integrity check' and this is in red. All my other winisd files all ok and in green.

Do you not get this?

I am using winisd 0.7 version.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

I didnt get any failure with that file. Entered QTS QES Vas BL Xmax PE Sd and I think thats it. Then it calculated the rest and it saved fine. I am using WinISD 0.5a7 if that means anything to you.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I dont get an error when putting in the params. I get that message when I create a new project. If you are using the same vers can you try a new project and see what you get. All my other driver files come up green and ok. Wierd.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

No errors. Just did a quick sealed cabinet. Worked like usual. Maybe it faults when designing a ported subwoofer. :D

Worked just fine also with ported. The SP4 smashes the sealed design.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

How very strange.

I am in the process of a few decisions to make.

Option 1:

Buy two FI SSD 18's (1000 watts) and put in my 15 cu ft boxes (model pretty good indeed) Looking around 118db at 20hz for the mid tune.

Option 2:

Buy a single SP4 18 (3000 watts) and put in my 15 cu ft box. Have only one sub which is 122db at 20hz.

Option 3:

Buy two FI SSD's and run either dual sealed or two single sealed.

Option 4:

Buy two SI 18's and run either dual sealed or two single sealed.

The two SI 18's are £600 all in delivered to my door including taxes, shipping and duty etc.... which isn't that bad. Two SSD's are £550.

Ideally I wanted to buy 4 SI 18's and then I could just use a single Inuke 6000 to run all four. Its just not having the cash so I would have to loan the rest of the money to fund.

Having two dual sealed sounds like they would be really good.

Decisions decisions.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

Well I am all for dual opposed sealed. If you have the room stick with your boxes but I like the smaller sealed look. Money talks so I do like the ssd. If you can get the extra money then go with what your budget can get you. If I could I would just go with dual opposed sealed wiwh a powerful driver such as the sp4 and then save up for the rest. Thats expensive but for me I have to just get mass overkill other wise I keep trying to add more.

Four SI 18s would be awesome also and you would need less amp so this option is more budget friendly.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am waiting for a shipping quote for 4 dayton HO's to make my mind up. For me me so far 4 SI's in two dual sealed is top at the moment and one inuke 6000 should run both. I would need to borrow some top up funds but I think it would be worth it for sure. £1500 for two dual sealed would be killer. Worse case would be two SI 18's in my 15 cu ft boxes which would still work fine and give me tonnes of output but sealed is where I want to be.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

Just get a pair of XXX 18's and call it a day. LOL

I think the SI 18's will be the best bet for your budget. But we all know its hard to stay with what we decided.:D

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I would love to but at $839 a piece It's way out of my league in terms of cost. I see RE Audio have a new XX coming out but there are no parameters out for them yet along with some other drivers too.

I could buy 4 SI 18's to one XXX18 so I am sure 4 would out gun a single XXX18 and for 2 XXX18's I could buy 8 SI18's all be it shipping would be more expensive.

I thought exodus was bringing out new drivers in the beginning of this year. Does anyone know any more about that.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

Only 12" for now. They will be bringing out other drivers later but not the same as they were before. He stated that they would be similar but they will be going a different direction. From what I gathered with his new partner they will be more expensive and aimed more at the class of TC Sounds Ultra. But I only say the Ultra as in quality. So meaning the 12" and whatever they make will be aimed at higher quality.

SI is the way to go I believe. Four to start and then add later if you want. Only need a small amp in comparison to other hard hitting 18's also.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my shipping quote from parts express for the daytons and four shipped to me is $380 all in. Not bad. Nick quoted me $480 for four SI's. Now if I could get the quote down to that , that would be swell.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

I think they quoted me at 150 each for the 15's. Thats why I didnt go ahead with them. So I hope he can do better but I dont think he will be able to. But better to ask then never say anything at all.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very true indeed. The main issue I am having is that plonking a single 18 in my enclosures and running my low tune spl at 10hz is the same as a pair of dual sealed which is where my max excursion is reached. For that I only need to run 650 watts into a single ported but 2000 watts to the dual. See my dilemma. Lol.

My mid tune is running around 115db at 14hz and 118db at 20hz for one ported sub with the hpf set so no over excursion is reached.

I have no doubt that the two big ported subs back in my room would produce massive spl but how would it sound compared to two dual sealed.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

I wont get into the ported verse sealed debate but with you having a pair of cabinets already why not just get a pair of SI 18's?

Then if you want down the road or whenever you can get another pair. I love my sealed subs. I have always like ported cabs for music but sealed for HT. Now the one thing I miss is my horned sub. FLH Tactile performance was amazing compared to my older ported cabinet. But I wont even try and compare the two because it would be comparing an apple to a potato.

Budget friendly just a pair of SI 18s for your big cabs. Then seal it and see what you think. Either way remember a pair will need about 10-15cuft depending how you want the Fc. So big cabinet or .......big cabinet. lol

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats the thing my big ported subs sounded very clean especially in either low or mid tune. High tune I never really liked. When I switched to sealed which gave a qtc of 0.78 approx and eq'd it was so lacking in low end when compared to the low tune ported. I wasnt lucky enough to run duals to compare. It sounded slightly punchier in sealed but not by much in my view. My issues at the time was running 2 ohms stereo so the amp was under stress with low frequencies. That would not happen with the SI's as I would be running 4 ohms stereo which will be alot better.

Just a shame I cant get them for 3-4 months.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

Waiting is not pleasant. LOL

I am having to wait also. I seem to read about so many builds and HT room that I feel I should be able to do the same but when I look at my savings account I laugh. Maybe in 3 years.:D

I still say just buy a pair. Then add later if you want to try dual opposed sealed. MDF is cheap so you can always experiment with cabinets if you choose.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts