Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Mitsubishi WS55511

Leonard,
I have a Mitsubishi WS55511 that was manufactured Aug 2002. The set was purchased in Decatur, Illinois at Team Electronics our area Mitsubishi dealer. Since then they have gone out of business. We use the television when we have family holiday get togethers around Thanksgiving and Christmas. It probably only gets viewed about 20-30 hours each year. About 2-3 years after we bought the set it started getting the blinking green light. We would shut the set off for a couple days and re-set it. Last week we noticed the light blinking again and it wouldn't re-set. After seeing many other posts online with the same problem I decided to try to take the DM board out as some suggested and replace the capacitors. From some of your posts I gathered you may be an authorized Mitsubishi dealer or service tech. First off do you think it would do any good at all to contact Mitsubishi about this? Is so is there a certain number to call that handles this problem since it seems they got a batch of defective capacitors? We did our research when we bought the set and thought at the time Mitsubishi was the best on the market, now we don't think so. After spending over $3000 on the set initially we really don't feel we can dish out another $800-1000 to repair it so we are hopeful they will help.

Last night I started taking the DM board out. I looked at the capacitors on the DM board and they don't seem to be bulged. From some of your earlier posts (2007) I believe you suggested replacing ALL the capacitors. Is that still your recommendation? Also are there other steps I need to do while the set is apart? Thank you for any and all help or input. I need to get this fixed, Thanksgiving is only a little over a week away. Take care, Shooter

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Re: Mitsubishi V26 chassis (1st gen DLP) capacitor failures

Your post was moved from the V26 thread to a new one because your set is not the same chassis series. It is always best to start a new thread for a new problem anyway.

Change the caps anyway with the same value. IIRC these are 16v 2200uF 105 degree polarized electrolytics. Vendors like Acme and B&D that you will find under parts distributors in the vendor database will have them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Leonard,
I am at my wits end!! I took my DM board in to have the 7 caps replaced on my WS55511 on Monday. I had called Mitsubishi customer service last week and explained the situation. The service rep couldn't do anything to help my situation but after some discussion he did push my problem up the ladder one notch to one of his superiors. I got a call yesterday from "that person" and basically was told thank you for spending over 3 grand on your set but no can help with your problem.:spend: Needless to say I felt dumped on!! Surely, Mitsubishi has a better customer service department than that!! :huh:

Today I get the DM board back with the 7 caps replaced. I reassemble everything turn the set on and SURPRISE!! I STILL HAVE THE BLINKING GREEN LIGHT!!! :hissyfit::hissyfit: I tried unplugging for 2 hours, went outside to cool down, came back in, plugged it in, and STILL HAVE THE BLINKING DEATH LIGHT!! What in the world do I do now?? Do I have anything more than a 55" boat anchor?? HELP ANYONE!!!:help:
Right now I wouldn't buy a ANYTHING with Mitsubishi's name on it!!:rant::rant:
Shooter

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

The problem is not always the caps. It can also be an open fuse or some other problem. A bad EEPROM can cause the problem, or many other components. At this point, it would take professional troubleshooting.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I seem to have the same problem with my WS55511. Its still here. Am looking for someone who has another board. I think that there is a problem with the board itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Leonard, I called the shop that replaced the caps on the DM board and they had me bring the entire box the DM board sits in to their shop. They are going to test and replace the caps in it. They also checked the pico fuses on the DM board and they were fine. They are to call sometime today with the results. He said at this point if they replace all the caps on that board it would run no more than $150. They seem to be pretty knowledgeable about what they are talking about. I have my fingers crossed!! Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Bob,
I'm located in Central Illinois and I took my board to a repair shop in Decatur. If you can't find an authorized Mitsubishi repairman in your immediate area (which I couldn't) check for shops that work Video, VCRs, DVD players, etc. Good luck, Dave

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

It is very difficult to keep track of each person's problem and history if others tag on posts. Comments like "I have the same problem" and "I need a board" are largely meaningless without the context of the specific symptoms, the troubleshooting or repairs that have been attempted, and the model of the set. I spend far too much time moving posts and sorting out threads that I could spend helping people. PLEASE, post a new thread for your problems and do not tag on to another thread. Post all of the details of YOUR situation. Not every problem is the same, even though the symptoms may be similar. Small differences may be very important.

For the forums to remain useful, they have to be organized. If I have to do it, I cannot spend as much time helping or updating reference information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Leonard,
Not sure which post you were referring to but both my post and Bob's (maricopasunrise) identified the WS 55511 as the Mitsubishi set we were having problems with.

I just spoke with the tech that replaced the caps in my WS 55511 DM board and he mentioned he had another one (same model) in his shop now with same green blinking light. It seemed to me when you Google "Mitsubishi green blinking light" there are several that pop up. Just wondering how Mitsubishi got away with not having some sort of recall or some other remedy for those of us with the bad sets? I know they have probably sold tons of sets and the ones that have the green light problem is a drop in the bucket compared to the ones that work fine. But that still doesn't matter or sit well to those of us with one of there "bad" ones. The Mitsubishi customer service rep did absolutely nothing to try and resolve my problem. This isn't a "bash Mitsubishi" post it's just laying out the fact. I am hoping the repair center can find and fix the problem without having to dole out another big wad of money because up to this point Mitsubishi has been absolutely useless to me.
Dave

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

I was referring to Bob's posts. He needs to start a new thread.

Mitsubishi had some problems with these, but most sets are still out there working fine. The ones that are not fixed with caps may have a bad switching contolled or EEPROM or reset IC. There are other issues that can cause the same symptom as well. It takes some troubleshooting and digging to figure them out sometimes, and at the age of these sets it is not always practical.

Mitsubishi actually replaced some sets that I know of for people that had DM problems that could not be fixed with the caps or other routine service. When they have clients with catastrophic problems and don't have the parts to fix them, as with these DM boards, they have been known to provide some accomodation or even complete replacement. You have to talk to customer relations, and have to have the set evaluated and serviced by a Mitsubishi ASC to have a prayer of this kind of assistance, but I know of clients who have received new sets to replace theirs that were 5 or more years old.

Of all of the companies building TVs, Mitsubishi has been the most responsive to customer's needs when they have problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I was referring to Bob's posts. He needs to start a new thread.

Mitsubishi had some problems with these, but most sets are still out there working fine. The ones that are not fixed with caps may have a bad switching contolled or EEPROM or reset IC. There are other issues that can cause the same symptom as well. It takes some troubleshooting and digging to figure them out sometimes, and at the age of these sets it is not always practical.

Mitsubishi actually replaced some sets that I know of for people that had DM problems that could not be fixed with the caps or other routine service. When they have clients with catastrophic problems and don't have the parts to fix them, as with these DM boards, they have been known to provide some accomodation or even complete replacement. You have to talk to customer relations, and have to have the set evaluated and serviced by a Mitsubishi ASC to have a prayer of this kind of assistance, but I know of clients who have received new sets to replace theirs that were 5 or more years old.

Of all of the companies building TVs, Mitsubishi has been the most responsive to customer's needs when they have problems.
Thank you for the post Leonard. I picked up the DM board for my WS55511 from the repair shop yesterday. My problem was with the blinking green light and it still is. The repairman had spoke with Mitsubishi and they said I need part #955C230001. The cost is $165 for the part. I believe it is the DM module. The repairman is scepticle that that will solve the problem. Incidentally the shop just received another Mitsubishi in their shop yesterday that also has the "blinking green light" problem. This shop is a father/son shop so it is not that large. I was going to try and contact Mitsubishi customer relations again today. On one of the other forums someone had mentioned a "Vigil White" in California who is with Mitsubishi and has helped some of them with this problem. Do you have any other suggestions about what I could try? Thanks Leonard.
Dave

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts

Before changing the DM they need to troubleshoot the supplies and reset circuits, and try replacing the EEPROM. At least that is what I would do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts