Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had experience with both. Which one was a better overall driver for HT on paper?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I think they are both great drivers. From everything I have gathered they are both great in their band width. The XXX tends to have less midbass and requires a LARGE cabinet. But most use it in a 24" cube just fine with enough power. Mal X was always one of the great subs for HT. BUT you wont be able to replace anything because it is no longer around.

I like the Mal X slightly better than the XXX but for longevity I would choose the XXX.

Ricci, a forum member here, has used all the XXX variations I believe and could tell you more about them. They are also on his website.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was talking about the OLDER Resonant Engineering XXX's but thanks for the link. I enjoyed the read nonetheless :D (Ricci's site)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
What is the biggest difference between the older XBL2 XXX and the newer version besides the VC of course?

Ricci does test not only the split coil XXX but the overhung as well: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=drivers&type=0&mfr=3

I had the latest version of the XXX 18 and also the Mal-X 18" and they are different animals. I really like the XXX but you really need a lot of power to get the best out if it, the MX 18 is way more forgiving. SQ wise I did prefer the XXX though and for getting deep there is no comparison.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could be wrong but based on what I read there are now 3 versions of the XXX: Really old XBL2, Split gap/coil, and now the current version is overhung right? I don't think Ricci tests the XBL2 version does he?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I heard the same thing as you about the different versions but only have experience with the current model.

I can tell you I have owned the Mal-X 18 pair and still have a Mal-X 21". I have also had a pair of LMS Ultras, TC2000, Axis 15 and 12's, Aura 1808 with TC replacement tops, SI 18's, Dayton RS18's, RCF 21", JL Audio 13W7, ACI 15 and 12's, NHT 10's and probably about a dozen more along with all of the commercial subs I have owned. Nothing could match the low end performance of the RE XXX 18 from maybe about 25hz on down. It is the coolest looking sub of the lot as well, I attached a pic of the XXX against the Dayton RS18 and Mal-X 18". The XXX makes the others look like toys :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 18" RE XXX 05 version, 18" PRO 5100 and 18" LMS 5400 in 3 boxes with 2 passive radiators each. I also have a single 18" RE XXX split coil version in a sealed box. I was just wondering if the Maelstom X would be a better fit in the mix than the older RE. I am currently waiting for the last box to be completed before I can hear it so I have no comparison.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The LMS Ultra and current XXX 18" are both superior subs compared to the Mal-X 18. I like the M-18 though and it is a fine sub, the others are just on another level.

Are you going to use all 4 subs in the same system?

I would really like to hear how they all compare, never had a Pro 5100 so definitely want to hear about that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to use them all in the same system. I know people say that they cancel the frequencies and can get out of phase. I guess I will just have to find out for myself! The PRO is very impressive. I run one in my car currently. It has more output @ some of the higher frequencies than the LMS. It has a modest low end after break in also. I still love the LMS more. It hits the lows with real authority and never distorts doing it. You should really have a solid midbass/mini sub driver in the car with it to take full advantage of your music because to me it only sounds as good as the PRO 5100 (with less output) in the higher frequencies. Everything is preference, right? This is just my personal opinion. I am not an audio guru or anything but I do enjoy good sounds......TC Sounds mostly haha....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention that these experiences are in a sealed 5 cu ft box in my car with about 2000 rms on the LMS and 1100 rms on the PRO from my Zapco 4KW. I ran the LMS off 4000 rms from my crown xti 4000 and it is absolutely UNREAL! Output is INSANE and just on my initial crank 5 things fell off the walls in my living room/kitchen. No exaggeration. This was in like almost an 8 cu ft box though. It scared my a little bit quite honestly. I haven't been brave enough to turn it up that loud since :/

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The LMS Ultra is awesome, I do regret selling my pair but that's why I am Sub_crazy :coocoo: Not Sub_sane :huh:

I just like trying different set-up's and have always wanted to try the Pro 5100 but got the Aura motors on the cheap so the TC tops will give me a little hint at what they can do. I have 1 fired up right now, big time improvement over the Aura top. I am tempted to buy a pair of Pro 5100's but for about the same price as the LMS ultra it is a hard sell for a home system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly for HT if I had to pick one sub right now based on my knowledge and experience it would be an LMS no doubt. My theory is this ( surely it's wrong). The NEWER (split coil design) XXX should hit the lows 0-20 hz in a sealed box the best. The LMS and XXX (older xbl2 style) should destroy the middle frequencies. Anything left over the PRO 5100 can pick up on the top end. Between all 4 I should have the 0-100 hz bandwidth covered decently.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I am in agreement with your theory, surely I am wrong though :dontknow:

j/k, sounds sensible and looks like you will have all the bases covered. I hope you update this thread when you get them all fired up, I am anxious to hear your impressions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts