Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First manual graph posted, ouch!! Ready to build my first two subs..help?

1. My budget...I am going to buy the EP2500..so my funds will have to fall around $700 for drivers.

2. I wish to keep them around the size of the MFW 15.

3. My room is 2600 cubic ft.

4. 60% tv, 30% HT, 10% music.

5. I listen to low to mid levels. (have a grandson living here) Sometimes when no one is here I will listen to moderate levels, but alas, that is not often enough.

6. I am very adapt with woodworking and have the tools, so this is not a problem for me.

7. Timeframe. Soon. Have the money and need something to do now that winter weather is here.

8. Search the forum; Did it...searched and read, here there and everywhere.

I have the HSU 3.3 and it is a great sub, I recently bought a Cadence 15 and have them both running. Sounds nice, but I want to be wowed.

Also have looked at all the woofers, (ED-Dayton-SDX-etc)

Caught my Grandson putting cars into the vent of the HSU (when it wasn't positioned)...needs to be rear ported if I go that way, and possibly down firing if that isn't too much a detriment.

Tried WinISD and am lost. So, any ideas of recommendations would certainly be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I just want to Welcome you to the forum ...:wave:

I don't have any experience with DIY subs (I'm building my first and learning too :bigsmile:).

I'm sure the experts will like to know max size that you want, also do you want a box or cylinder, and other questions that they might have :yes:.

I remember reading a post where they stated that to model the box they need to know which driver you'll be using, because they have different box requirements.

There's a member here that's selling his Tempest X ...Mach5 IXL 15.2.2 can be had for $220 and Soundsplinter RPL 15 for around $360 ...:yes:

Good luck with your build :T

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome, here are the specs of the MFW-15

Specifications

· System: Single driver, folded, slot port with front termination

Drivers: 15" custom woofer
Amplifier: Custom 350 watt high efficiency design.
Control: Easy-access top panel with gain, variable phase and crossover
Input: High and low level in and out plus LFE in (crossover defeat).
Frequency Response: 18-200Hz; 15-17Hz in room low end. Greater than 115dB output above 35Hz and 103dB max output at 20Hz at one meter.
Dimensions: (H x D x W): 23.94" x 22.44" x 18.125"
Weight: ship weight = 125 lbs each

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't see that but someone has 2 Audiopulse Revo 15" that I would be interested in, if it can work with the size of the box I wish to have.

I just want to Welcome you to the forum ...:wave:

I don't have any experience with DIY subs (I'm building my first and learning too :bigsmile:).

I'm sure the experts will like to know max size that you want, also do you want a box or cylinder, and other questions that they might have :yes:.

I remember reading a post where they stated that to model the box they need to know which driver you'll be using, because they have different box requirements.

There's a member here that's selling his Tempest X ...Mach5 IXL 15.2.2 can be had for $220 and Soundsplinter RPL 15 for around $360 ...:yes:

Good luck with your build :T

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would reccomend two DIY Cable Maelstrom-X's sealed. You might be able to get them ported but the end result would most likely be too big for your desires.
As far as 15" drivers, there are the ones Salvasol reccomended and the CSS SDX-15.
Also, a Mach5 Audio IXL 18.2.2 is in your budget.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would reccomend two DIY Cable Maelstrom-X's sealed. You might be able to get them ported but the end result would most likely be too big for your desires.
As far as 15" drivers, there are the ones Salvasol reccomended and the CSS SDX-15.
Also, a Mach5 Audio IXL 18.2.2 is in your budget.
I saw this build thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/12134-my-sealed-maelstrom-x-build.html Little bigger than I want to go but does anyone know how low this will go?

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
I saw this build thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/12134-my-sealed-maelstrom-x-build.html Little bigger than I want to go but does anyone know how low this will go?
Pretty deep. The sub modeled at over 110db at 20hz and being a sealed design should only be down another 6db at 10hz (in theory). For a sealed design I'm not sure you can do too much better than the Malstrom X right now, and you could make it a little smaller if you wanted to at the expense of efficiency. Are you planning on adding eq to the system?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty deep. The sub modeled at over 110db at 20hz and being a sealed design should only be down another 6db at 10hz (in theory). For a sealed design I'm not sure you can do too much better than the Malstrom X right now, and you could make it a little smaller if you wanted to at the expense of efficiency. Are you planning on adding eq to the system?
From what I have read it may be for the best if I do use a EQ.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you would put the Maelstrom-X in a 24 inch cube (external measurement), powered by an EP2500 and EQ the bottom end, you will definitely be "wowed"! :yes:

Mike, would two be overkill? I suffer from the see the subwoofer know where the bass is coming from.
If I go with the cubed 24" is that brace in the link I provided a good idea? Thanks. Also, does anyone know when the X will be back in stock?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Since the room is 2600 cubic ft and you listen to low to mid levels, I don't think so. You can always build one first and see if it meets your needs.

Bracing is a requirement. You don't want any panels vibrating.

The Maelstom-X should be back in stock the first or second week of December. You can sign up on the Maelstrom-X Waiting List. No money up front, just a guaranteed spot in line for the sub.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/14463-maelstrom-x-waiting-list.html

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sepen said:
my funds will have to fall around $700 for drivers
See how he left the door open there by using the plural form of driver? This guy wants dual subs :devil:

Seriously though, while the Maelstrom X 18 would be my top choice, since you want something you can start soon, and you are open to dual subs as long as they are sized similar to the MFW :sick:, I'd probably go with two sealed Mach 5 IXL 18s, each in a 24" cube. The Maelstrom X are currently out of stock and two IXLs should leave money left over for the enclosure too. I'm a big propenent of ported, but at your size limitations, sealed will be the best bet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See how he left the door open there by using the plural form of driver? This guy wants dual subs :devil:

Seriously though, while the Maelstrom X 18 would be my top choice, since you want something you can start soon, and you are open to dual subs as long as they are sized similar to the MFW :sick:, I'd probably go with two sealed Mach 5 IXL 18s, each in a 24" cube. The Maelstrom X are currently out of stock and two IXLs should leave money left over for the enclosure too. I'm a big propenent of ported, but at your size limitations, sealed will be the best bet.
Steve, should I stuff them with anything? And do you thing the BEHRINGER FBQ-2496 is a good bet? I plan on using REW, have the EP2500 already and may just start the cabinets this week. Thanks...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since the room is 2600 cubic ft and you listen to low to mid levels, I don't think so. You can always build one first and see if it meets your needs.

Bracing is a requirement. You don't want any panels vibrating.

The Maelstom-X should be back in stock the first or second week of December. You can sign up on the Maelstrom-X Waiting List. No money up front, just a guaranteed spot in line for the sub.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/14463-maelstrom-x-waiting-list.html
Thanks, I will email them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would go with the Mach 5 over the Maelstrom-X. The Maelstrom-X is a better driver but in your small sealed application the difference is quite small.

Plus the Maelstrom would put you whatever the shipping charges are over budget (which is probably $30+) where the Mach5 Audio IXL 18.2.2 are $530 shipped to USA. savings of over 210 bucks.

Some may say that the Maelstrom can take more power than the Mach 5 which is true but your EP2500 can put a max of 1950 watts into a 4 ohm as shown from testing putting out 975 to each driver.

I did the model with 975 going to the Maelstrom-X and 800 going to the Mach-5

You only lose 1.5dB at 20Hz and .5dB at 10Hz which is what frequency matters most because you will have to EQ out the higher frequency ranges.

·
Registered
150 Posts
He only has a EP2500 for an amp, how will he apply twice the power?

XMAX won't be a concern in these enclosures. The VC is likely to fry first.

Real world he can probably give 175 more watts to the Maelstrom which is where I model it.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
fred said:
He only has a EP2500 for an amp, how will he apply twice the power?

XMAX won't be a concern in these enclosures. The VC is likely to fry first.

Real world he can probably give 175 more watts to the Maelstrom which is where I model it.
Double the power handling doesn't mean double the power has to be applied, it can mean less distortion at the same elevated power level.

Also, I am certain one could not fry the voice coil of either a single Maelstrom or dual IXL 18s with a single EP2500. Xmax will become a concern if one wants to use EQ on the low end, which I believe Sepen is alluding to.

Sepen said:
Steve, should I stuff them with anything?
I'd start with no stuffing and then try adding some fiberglass or poly batting and see if you prefer the sound. There is no hard and fast rule on stuffing.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts