Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys !

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I'm ready to jump in and plan to start purchasing the parts to do run REW. I have two things in mind once I figure how how to generate and inter[ret the graphs. First I'd like to see the results of my anto mode via before and after graphs. Secondly, I've just picked up a pair of Mirage OMD-28s that have a claimed low end of 25hz -3db. I'd like to verify that. I'd also like to verify the low end response curves that they generate and figure out if I need to get a Behringer to eq their low end as I plan to run them full band along side my Outlaw LFM1 Plus.

Now, my main point in posting is a basic beginers questions and the intent is to reduce the amount of time involved in purchasing all of the peice parts required to get set up.

I've seen the wiring diagrams and read the cabling and set up section here. Having done that, I will still ask - has anyone published an itemised list of parts required, recomended place to purchase and the approximate cost of each item ? It would be great if this accompanied the diagrams. I see that a lot of hard work has gone into explaning each of the parts so I mean no negativity towards the informative folks who put this all together to get us naive newbies started. It just so happens that my brain works better with simplicity and such an itemised list would serve to turbo charge my start up efforts.

I've already settled on the Galaxy meter I've yet to source the sound cards, correct cables and connectors in an itemised list format, is what would save me a lot of time.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to working all of this out and tweaking to my hearts delight over the coming (cold) months.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I've seen the wiring diagrams and read the cabling and set up section here. Having done that, I will still ask - has anyone published an itemised list of parts required, recomended place to purchase and the approximate cost of each item ?
The Connections basic thread already shows where to get each part and its cost. The connection diagram shows what parts are required.

figure out if I need to get a Behringer to EQ their low end as I plan to run them full band along side my Outlaw LFM1 Plus.
This wouldn't be considered a good idea. The bass management of your AVR is a far superior method of blending the mains and sub. The only chain that requires equalization would be the sub. EQing the mains adds unnecessary equipment that can only reduce the quality of the mains pristine signal.

brucek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will you post a link to the correct thread please ? Oviously I am unable to locate it.

Also, given that my mains go to 25hz, and if I see abnormal peaks and nulls after frunning REW, what do you suggest I do ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Look in the sticky thread called "Room EQ Wizard (REW) Information Index - |Links|Guides|Articles|Stickies| (PLEASE READ)" in this forum, all the links are in there.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Will you post a link
All the parts mentioned here show where to purchase and the cost. We can't provide an absolute itemized list, because everyones situation is different. Read and understand the thread and you'll know what to buy.

given that my mains go to 25hz, and if I see abnormal peaks and nulls after frunning REW, what do you suggest I do ?
As I suggested above, use the bass management of your receiver and select a crossover that you like and use it. Forget about running your mains full range.
I do understand your reluctance to limit your speakers with bass management, but it's the best choice.
The tendancy is always there for buyers of large full range speakers to opine that they bought a set of full range speakers and they don't want to use bass management because they feel they would basically have wasted their money they spent on full range. I know the feeling. My mains cost about $11000, but I still use a 60Hz crossover, since I know that anything lower will be subject to modal resonance. The subwoofer handles all the signal below the crossover and is easily equalized with a BFD.

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,288 Posts

I agree with brucek. It would be a shame to put an equalizer on your mains to EQ nothing but their bottom end. Better to let the subwoofer carry the bottom end and EQ it separately.

There are a few other good reasons to high pass the mains, even if they are capable performers like yours.

For one, more oft than not you'll get the best in-room bass performance with a single bass source. Multiple bass sources can be difficult to deal with because usually each one usually ends up having a unique response curve, due to each being different distances from boundaries.

For another, relieving your receiver of ultra-low frequencies will allow it to play cleanly at higher volumes. IOW, free headroom.

Third, an equalizer suitable for your main channels will cost a lot more than the BFD, plus you'll need an outboard amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for getting back. 1st off, if you have never seen the Grand Canyon, pack up the family and go do it. Words, nor pictures nor movies can do it justice. Breathtaking. Secondly, you guys have an interesting way of 'welcoming' new members to this forum.

I find your reference to the downside of running multiple bass sources interesting given that I see constant references to mutiple subs and how they tend to even out room response. Granted, they need to be tamed but if I'm not mistaken, the Behringer has two channels.

My mains are tri-ampable so running a seperate power amp is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm trying to decide between an amp to run just the low end, freeing my receiver to power mids and upper range vs a more powerful amp running it full range and just equing the bottom end based on REQ results.

Don't exactly know why it would be a 'shame' to EQ just the bottom end when the Behringer is only $100. I am already running an anti mode for my sub.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Granted, they need to be tamed
And there's the rub...........

Don't exactly know why it would be a 'shame' to EQ just the bottom end when the Behringer is only $100.
The shame comment was correct for EQ'ing a full range set of mains that were fed from a single amplifier without bi or tri amping. You only now have mentioned that you are tri-amping.

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,288 Posts

Sorry 'bout that PannyMan, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. :(
I find your reference to the downside of running multiple bass sources interesting given that I see constant references to mutiple subs and how they tend to even out room response. Granted, they need to be tamed but if I'm not mistaken, the Behringer has two channels.
I take it you haven't tried it yourself yet?

Unfortunately there's a lot of questionable stuff about subwoofers that circulates on the home theater forums. Some guy finds the "magic bullet" for his system and he's telling everyone else they should do the same thing, as if he has solved the mysteries of the ages.

The problem is that no two rooms are alike, and you can't be guaranteed what worked in his room will work in yours, unless yours is the same size and dimensions. For instance, it should be glaringly obvious that what did wonders say, in a 1500 cu. ft. dedicated room with shoe-box dimensions - number of subs and locations - has little chance of being duplicated in a 7500 cu. ft. family room that's open to other areas - the dining room, front entry hallway, stairwell, perhaps a cathedral ceiling, etc.

Don't exactly know why it would be a 'shame' to EQ just the bottom end when the Behringer is only $100. I am already running an anti mode for my sub.
The answer was correct and accurate based on the information you gave us. How are we supposed to know you had the capability of amplifying your mains' subs separately, or that you already had annother equalizer for your sub? It seems a bit disingenuous to get upset at our replies if you only gave us half of the picture.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not upset guys and didn't intend to come across that way but can see how it could be taken that way. Having said that, I have found it to be customary to offer the usual 'welcome to the forum' stuff and was surprised, but not upset, at it's absence.

I had no idea that bi amping would make a difference. Please bear in mind that I am new to this. Again I can see how it may seem like some 'sucker punch' to the expets here who have accumlated castly superior experience than I. I just didn't know it made a difference. Sorry again if I came across the wrong way.

Since I was talking about eqing my mains only, I suppose I could have mentioned the anti mode but again, given my level of inecperiemce, I just don't know it would impact what I would be doing with my mains. To my way of thinking, I'd be treating them separately. My quest to understand how to run REW and underrstand it's results, is intended to help me underrstand jsut waht the impacts are and I guess the cross impacts between mains and sub as well. I don't know how right now but again, my apologies.

Some times writing styles or idividual approaches to conveying information doesn't work in certain environments and I mine obviously doesn't work here. I do appreciate your input thus far however. I think at this point its best that I just wade through this whole process on my own.

You folks have accumulated a great deal of informational wealth here and I appreciate the apportunity to put it to good use albeit in a less than interactive way.

Thanks again and take care guys.

·
Super Moderator
9,288 Posts

I'm not upset guys and didn't intend to come across that way but can see how it could be taken that way. Having said that, I have found it to be customary to offer the usual 'welcome to the forum' stuff and was surprised, but not upset, at it's absence.
I usually make it a point to do that whenever I notice a new member posting, but somehow I managed to slip this time - my apologies. :hide:

Generally, we're a friendly bunch who love this stuff and like helping people out. So don't be afraid to post if you need to know something! :T

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts