Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few years ago, I know that REW did not have the capability to log SPL information in real time (say 1S intervals) directly to a text file.

Does anyone know if that feature has been added?

Would be really really useful for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I might have found the answer:

SPL Data Logging
The Logger button opens the SPL Logger graph window. The record button in the top right corner of the SPL Logger graph starts or stops logging of SPL values. When logging is in progress the SPL meter on/off, calibrate, weighting, filter time constant and high pass filter buttons are disabled. The logger records the SPL (with the currently selected weighting and time constant), the minimum and maximum values, the unweighted and uncalibrated peak value, the equivalent sound level and the sound exposure level. A Save button above the SPL Logger graph allows the data recorded to be saved to a text file using the text delimiter set in the REW File menu, log files can be loaded using the Open button.
-----

Ugh. nevermind. That's just for saving the log after it's already been created....... for post processing.

The reason why I'm looking for this is because I'd like to do an environmental noise survey outside my house. I can't seem to find any good affordable commercial solutions -- and although I know Smaart can do it, it's a bit overkill and expensive.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You may want to read a little further into the SPL logger help, to the next paragraph:

Selecting Log to file using date as filename saves logged data to files in the REW logs directory automatically whenever the logger is running (the directory location is shown in the About REW dialog box). Filenames are formatted as SPL-YYYY-MMM-dd.txt, e.g. SPL-2016-Apr-24.txt. If a file for a day already exists a number will be appended, e.g. SPL-2016-Apr-24-1.txt, SPL-2016-Apr-24-2.txt etc. A new file is created if the logging continues past midnight, with the new date. Note that the files can become very large if logging continues for a long period, growing at about 18 kB per minute. If the option to log to files is selected remember to check the REW log directory to remove files you no longer need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may want to read a little further into the SPL logger help, to the next paragraph:
My apologies if I sounded gruff before, I didn't mean to come across frustrated.

I just read what you posted -- and that's awesome! It's been a while since I've used REW but always been impressed with the capabilities.

I should have read more closely. Doh!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts