Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got a new project, and it kind of an odd shaped room I have a set of Def Tech BP-2X that I plan to use in the rear but finding the perfect location seems to be giving me problems... any and all ideas are appreacated

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well since it looks wide open behind your couch I would think speaker stands would be the way to go. You could try to put them on the walls but they would be out of position badly. IMO. With stands you can put them right where they need to be and get the best sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate stand.... and the ceiling is angled so thats out... I was thinking bout building out the wall a little bit so they could both be angled the same way and also the same distacne... but Im not sure that will look that much better either:huh:

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I was in the same position you were for my surrounds. I went with stands, and move one out of the walkway when I'm not using it. Other things I considered were:

Mount/hang from ceiling: Too high
Lay on floor: In the way when we move furniture, hard to hide wires
Build out wall: Too expensive, cuts room off.

If you have a good 5.1 setup, I'd probably not worry about the rears.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree, I would not worry about rears if you already had a 5.1 setup. However, it looks like you are looking for where to put your surround speakers for 5.1. For that I would mount bookshelf speakers on the walls left and right of the sofa, maybe just behind the sofa, at a height above your tallest walking person. If you were facing the screen, the right surround would be behind the door on the right, and the left surround would be in front of its door on the left - but both would be mounted above the top of the doors. Your receiver should be able to adjust the delay on those so their sounds hit the sofa simultaneously even though the distances are different - its just an adjustment of the delay on one side. You might experiment with where you point those speakers so as to disperse the sound. Some people point their surrounds up toward their ceiling at an angle, for example.

I hope you have a center channel speaker, but if not, one matching your mains and placed below your TV pointed slightly upward would probably help a lot.

Lastly, I'll try to not bore you with my ongoing protest against 7.1 upgrades, but I'm just sayin' that 5.1 Dolby Digital gives you 99.99% of the good without the expense and difficulty of getting two more rear speakers placed and (maybe) a new receiver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.