Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is just putting together a basic HT in his new place, and stumbled across a deal that he's considering. Since I haven't really kept up with the non-DIY subs lately, I'm hoping someone can help me out with a recommendation for him.

He sent me a link to this Klipsh SW-450 on sale for $239 on Amazon. Here's a link to it on Klipsch's website.

• Frequency Response: 28-120Hz +/-3dB
  • MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 115dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m
  • AMPLIFIER: Class D
  • AMPLIFIER POWER: FTC Rated Power: 200 watts continuous @ 1% THD, Dynamic Power: 450 watts
  • DRIVE COMPONENTS: 10" (25.4cm) high excursion, fiber-composite cone, down-firing woofer
  • ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via rear-firing port

Is there anything in the under $400 range that I should have him look at instead? He's not a serious basshead, and the rest of the system is Klipsch bookshelves (L/R) and centre, and some small generics for surrounds. Also, he's in a condo, so he won't want to shake the walls apart.

Any thoughts appreciated. Oh, and yes, I tried to get him to go DIY but he doesn't have the time or the tools, and he lives a 5 hour flight away so I can't build one for him.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Dayton sub1200 gets good , another $100 he can look at svs sb1000 and outlaw has $499 subs on sale . All 3 of those would keep him happy if hes not looking to be punished and just wants some low end. he may also be happy with the klipsch, everyones different

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Haven't heard anything under $400-500 that sounds as good as the NXG BAS 500. Aside from the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, towers from same AJ line, & the KEF LS50 I've yet to encounter a better quality for the price.
Sidenote:
Believe everyone should own a pair of those Pioneer bookshelves regardless your income or at minimum try before giving them as a Xmas gift. If you can afford $1,200 on speakers the LS50 is the easiest decision by such a large margin it's very impressive. They outperform anything I've heard under 5k, & rank with the gear that's 10k and up. Best speaker I've ever heard when you apply the variables

Here is the link. Unless he spends $500 he won't find better quality

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008FSTU4G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1415663090&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

1 - 8 of 8 Posts