Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am writing here, as not to air dirty laundry in the public forums and give Steve a chance to make things right.

Some of you may know I was the buyer in the PR-SC5508 classifieds ad. Steve wanted some time to ship because he was busy with hay season or something. Anyway, I waited patiently and even sent him my FedEx number to make shipping easy. Well a few weeks after the sale, he shipped it and yesterday I took my home theater totally apart and started setting up all the new gear. Because this was a pre and not a powered receiver, I got additional amps and ordered all balanced cables to hook it up. I even made custom speaker cables for a clean install. My mistake was hooking up the balanced cables last. That is when I discovered this was a 7 channel pre and not a 9 channel pre. How could this be? That is when I noticed I had received a PR-SC885 and not a PR-SC5508. A totally different pre without the features and processing of the 5508. To say I'm bummed would be an understatement. I spent a full day converting over to a more elaborate version of what I already had. What a major waste of time and money. I pray that Steve will man up and return my money and the shipping cost both ways.

To add to my frustration, I already moved my old Onkyo receiver to the master bedroom. I had all this extra gear, so I setup a little system there with some old JBL L26 for mains and a Def Tech ProCinema center. Again rearranging, making new cables and because the speaker grills are orange, even added a lava lamp for effect.

I know you guys can't do anything about this. I just needed to type to avoid venting on my wife.

Thanks for reading.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Guess I'm totally out of the loop on this one. Who is Steve? Does he own a company, or was this a private sale?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
No wonder it was so cheap... I don't know much about an 885, but didn't think a 5508 would go for that little.

Either he makes it right or he will be banned and we will start a list of people to be aware of in classifieds.

As far as I know, we haven't had any issues thus far, but we might should make the sellers post a picture of the product to identify exactly what it is.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No wonder it was so cheap... I don't know much about an 885, but didn't think a 5508 would go for that little.

Either he makes it right or he will be banned and we will start a list of people to be aware of in classifieds.

As far as I know, we haven't had any issues thus far, but we might should make the sellers post a picture of the product to identify exactly what it is.
Lucky me. We just have to wait and see. I even paid extra to cover the Paypal fee. I have always tried to out deliver expectations. It doesn't matter if I am buying or selling. I can only control my own actions and try to believe the best in others.

The 885 is 7.1, the 5508 is 9.2, which defeats the whole purpose of me buying.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Well he clearly misrepresented the product, which is totally unacceptable. I would even consider it theft by deception and it may very well be that you could file criminal charges against him. You might call the local authorities where he lives and ask them about your options and if there is anything they can do if he fails to make it right.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did receive a PM this morning and he has no excuse for the ad, other than old age. He did say he feels terrible about it and will refund my money plus shipping both ways. He said he gets paid on 9/3 and will issue the refund then.

I hope for the best. Time will tell. Until then, I'm back on the hunt for a replacement Pre or Receiver. Although now, I may stop looking for the best deal and just buy something. My dilemma now is do I look specifically for something like the 5508 with balanced output so I can use all this other gear or get something turnkey like the 1009?

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Glad you got a response, hope he keeps up his end of the deal. I'm still hunting down a 9.1 capable AVR too. The NR1009 is an option I have considered. Also look at the Denon AVR-X4000. None have balanced outputs though. Right now the new NR929 is at the top of my list. I have seen them for about $1000 on ebay. Now just trying to recover from the hospital bills associated with bringing twins into the world, before I spend any more on the HT overhaul :spend: Good thing my BDP-103 has 7.1 analog outputs and volume control - enough to keep me going in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you got a response, hope he keeps up his end of the deal. I'm still hunting down a 9.1 capable AVR too. The NR1009 is an option I have considered. Also look at the Denon AVR-X4000. None have balanced outputs though. Right now the new NR929 is at the top of my list. I have seen them for about $1000 on ebay. Now just trying to recover from the hospital bills associated with bringing twins into the world, before I spend any more on the HT overhaul :spend: Good thing my BDP-103 has 7.1 analog outputs and volume control - enough to keep me going in the meantime.
For once, being late was a good thing for you. You dodged the bullet on this one.

I'm kind of pushed towards the 5508 at this point, just because I have all the amps and balanced cables to use with it. If I go with the NR1009 or something else, I have money tied up in this other stuff. I guess I could sell it, but I will take a loss. Oh the trials of a home theater enthusiast. :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can still use the 929 as a preamp.
Both the TX-NR929 and the PR-SC5508 are running around $1000 on Ebay. Again, I'm leaning towards the PR-SC5508 because everything is already wired for it. The TX-NR929 would work but require rearranging the gear and wiring. For about the same money, I tend to like the easier install and not have to deal with selling off extra amps and cables.

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
For once, being late was a good thing for you. You dodged the bullet on this one.
Seriously. I guess the deal was too good to be true :sneeky:

I guess I could sell it, but I will take a loss. Oh the trials of a home theater enthusiast. :D
Right there with ya!

You can still use the 929 as a preamp.
This is my plan once I'm able to pick one up, but if the system has already wired with balanced cables then the 5508 would be the easiest to drop in. Part of the reason I'm going with the 929 that it will process 11.1 channels. I've committed to 9.1 and now I'm too curious not to make it "go to 11", so to speak. Plus I figure I'll be set up to evaluate those features on future receiver reviews if the opportunity comes along.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is my plan once I'm able to pick one up, but if the system has already wired with balanced cables then the 5508 would be the easiest to drop in. Part of the reason I'm going with the 929 that it will process 11.1 channels. I've committed to 9.1 and now I'm too curious not to make it "go to 11", so to speak. Plus I figure I'll be set up to evaluate those features on future receiver reviews if the opportunity comes along.
Doing some research online, I found the Onkyo Euro site is a lot more user friendly.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/search-42537.html

I downloaded the color data sheets on the PR-SC5507, PR-SC5508, PR-SC5509 and the TX-NR929. It makes it easy to compare features and software. The PDF's even list the year the product release came out.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may be late to the game but I'm catching up fast. I can now expand my search from Onkyo PR-SC5008 and PR-SC5009 to Integra DHC-80.2 and DHC-80.3 (re-badged Onkyo).

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
Nice! I didn't know that post was there. Having done a bunch of research on the Onkyo models I have found it difficult to pinpoint the right one. There seems to be so many models with a lot of overlap in terms of features and specs :scratch:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Luther - have you resolved this issue with the seller? Hopefully you got your refund.
Sadly this is still in progress. I did receive half of my money today via Paypal. He said he will send the other half from his next check or when he sells the receiver. I still have the receiver but being 7.1 it does me no good. Not much I can do at this point but wait and pray.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts