Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current receiver Denon AVR2105 is "acting up". During movies it randomly jumps from Dolby to another mode such as "game" or "Matrix". It only occurs once or twice during a movie but 2 questions:

1) Any familiar with this and if so is it fixable?

2) if it is simply an age thing (6 years old now)...what is the best receiver/$$$ to replace it with. I really like Denon but will consider anything. Was looking at the AVR1913 or the 791 or refurbed 789 but if there is a significant reduction in performance I'll pay up. I am rusty on receivers/quality/bang for buck etc.

thanks
Matt

My theater is 100% movies...see specs below...

thanks
Matt

Amp: EP2500
Feedback Destroyer: DSP1124P

Room Size
My room is 26x14x8.5 shoebox shape...in basement.

Main Speakers:
Center: Paradigm CC370, Front: Paradigm Monitor 5s
Surround: Paradigm Atoms

Subwoofers
Matching Ficaraudio Q18 sonosub tuned to 13hz...

Each are 700 liters, 30 inch diameter, 62 inches tall, 8 inch port at 26.75 inches long tuned to 13hz...

Both are custom made 8 ohm drivers driven by EP2500 in bridge mode yielding 4 ohms...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Personally no I do own the Onkyo 805 which I love..but quite a few people here own the 709 and seem to love it..for 50 dollars getting a 5yr warranty is pretty good..warranty is really your preference you do get a 1 year warranty it is refurbed so there's a good chance its in great shape

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
I have had a similar problem on 2 Denon units... 3806 and 2807 (I think that was the model... it was a year newer than the 3806). On both units it is hit or miss as to whether or not you will have Neo or DTS. I can play the same movie on dif days and get dif results. Since it is hit or miss I am just living with it till I can afford a new unit.

·
Registered
876 Posts
My denon 2106 died after 6 years. Makes me wonder about long term reliability with Denon.
I find it amazing that Japanese stuff made in the 60s, 70s, 80s still works today. A lot of newer Japanese stuff made today wont even make it to the next decade. :sad::dontknow:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find it amazing that Japanese stuff made in the 60s, 70s, 80s still works today. A lot of newer Japanese stuff made today wont even make it to the next decade. :sad::dontknow:
That's because, like everything else these days, Denon outsources their manufacturing to China. The ONLY receiver in this year's lineup that IS made in Japan is the 4520. I'm sure a lot of the components are Chinese though. We've been forced into a disposable society by big corporations that want to sell new stuff every couple of years. It just doesn't pay to make anything last these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts